PDA

View Full Version : combat reform

thedarkfourth
15-03-2013, 14:50
This is probably a v obvious question, so sorry.

If your unit is attacked in the rear, and you win combat, can you reform so that the unit simply turns around to face the enemy head on? I know it sounds simple, and I guess the answer is just yes.

But there seem to be contradictory lines in the rules, p55. It says a unit can reform to face its enemy if attacked in flank or rear. But it says it can't be used to get models out of base contact with enemy. Now, if you've been attacked in rear, and you turn the unit to face the enemy, then surely the models in your back rank, which were the ones in base contact, are now out of contact? Or do those models now become your front rank? In which case, what do you do with the champ/sb/musician?

hamsterwheel
15-03-2013, 14:57
This is probably a v obvious question, so sorry.

If your unit is attacked in the rear, and you win combat, can you reform so that the unit simply turns around to face the enemy head on? I know it sounds simple, and I guess the answer is just yes.

But there seem to be contradictory lines in the rules, p55. It says a unit can reform to face its enemy if attacked in flank or rear. But it says it can't be used to get models out of base contact with enemy. Now, if you've been attacked in rear, and you turn the unit to face the enemy, then surely the models in your back rank, which were the ones in base contact, are now out of contact? Or do those models now become your front rank? In which case, what do you do with the champ/sb/musician?

It's not talking about specific RNF models. You can reform as long as the same number of models remain in contact. If you had a character or champion in combat, then those models must remain in base contact.
Also just to alter your perspective a little, you may see a combat reform as turning the unit around but in the actual context of how it works, technically all of the models in the unit are turning around to face the enemy in the rear, the champ/sb/musician would move to the front as normal.

T10
15-03-2013, 15:39
It's not talking about specific RNF models. You can reform as long as the same number of models remain in contact.

Wrong. It is in fact the specific models.

However, through some strange magic of the rules, after you have reformed and the command group models have ended up in the rear ranks of the unit they must be moved to the (new) front rank.

-T10

thedarkfourth
15-03-2013, 15:54
Ah, I see. The good old magic of the rules. Thanks!