PDA

View Full Version : 3 questions that came up last night.

Grendel rat
17-03-2013, 19:56
So, there i was. Facing my 1000 pt skaven list vs my buddies lizzards. I charged my 5 rat ogres with a warlord on bonebreaker into his stegadon. He challenged, i accepted with my warlord on B.B.. One wound apiece no other ogres or skinks could attack. Skaven won combat due to a rank and the charge. Stegadon passed ld and stuck. Lizard turn, tie combat. Next i charged in with a hellpit on the stegadon flank. Here lies the question. As i read posts and interpret the rules the hell pit cannot attack till the challenge is resolved. Does the hell pit still do his impact hits?

Next. This stegadon has a bolt thrower on his back. Can he still shoot this thing if he is in close combat or in a chalenge?
on this same vein, can a cannon shoot if it is in close combat?

Last question. In the skaven army book, the warp fire weapon team has damage listed as D3. Does this mean that all unsaved wounds are multiplied into d3 wounds?

Any help here would help us out. We have been playing for about a year now and the more we play the more strange situations arise.

kefkah
17-03-2013, 20:15
1: Impact are a unusal type of close combat attacks, made before challenges or any blows are struck. Challenge only says that they can only direct attacks to each other and cant be attacked by anyone else, so the impact and charge+flank bonus applies as usual. Im guessing he had a hero on the stegadon though since only characters can challenge. Also if he had a hero on the stegadon, his mount and the crew of his mount can still fight in a challenge.

2: No he cant shoot if he is in close combat with the bolt thrower, since its not a separate unit and in cc.

3: Yes, each unsaved wound does d3.

Kayosiv
17-03-2013, 20:32
Yes, impact hits happen, even in challenges.

No, you cannot shoot at things while they are in combat and you also cannot shoot anything if the shooter is in combat (even stuff it can see outside of combat) as combat prevents shooting.

Yes and no. ONLY IF models have more than 1 wound, it is multiplied into d3 wounds. If something has 2 wounds and you multiply to 3, it only does 2. Things with 1 wound cannot take more than 1 wound so you don't bother to multiply.

Grendel rat
17-03-2013, 21:27
Hmmm. No hero on the stegadon. First time either of us has used or fought one. I will not make that mistake again. Still killed him. Thanks for the answers!

PinkSpaceHippy
18-03-2013, 04:04
Yes and no. ONLY IF models have more than 1 wound, it is multiplied into d3 wounds. If something has 2 wounds and you multiply to 3, it only does 2. Things with 1 wound cannot take more than 1 wound so you don't bother to multiply.

Unless you're in a challenge, then you can cause more wounds than they have. If you're in a challenge against his character, and it has 2 wounds, and you cause two unsaved wounds against it with Multiple Wounds (D3) and roll a 2 and 3, you actually caused 5 wounds in that challenge.

Remember the wounds are multiplied after saves, not before.

kefkah
18-03-2013, 11:51
Unless you're in a challenge, then you can cause more wounds than they have. If you're in a challenge against his character, and it has 2 wounds, and you cause two unsaved wounds against it with Multiple Wounds (D3) and roll a 2 and 3, you actually caused 5 wounds in that challenge.

Remember the wounds are multiplied after saves, not before.

Not really, Multiple wounds (D2,D3,D6) is capped to the W on his profile. So a ogre can max take 3 wounds from a single hit etc, even if rolling 6 on a d6.

Same in challenge, its capped. You can do overkill for extra combat resolution, but thats still capped to 2 wound max for each hit.

RejjeN
18-03-2013, 14:56
I thought models in a challenge couldn't get hit/struck by anything outside of the challenge in combat? What's the reasoning behind Impact Hits being able to hit someone in an already on-going challenge?

Tarian
18-03-2013, 14:58
The reasoning is that it's distributed as shooting, thus you're not 'directing' attacks at the challengers. At least that's my rationale for it.

FatTrucker
18-03-2013, 17:35
Just to qualify its only the warpfire attack that does D3 wounds per hit not CC.

Grendel rat
19-03-2013, 02:01
So... No impact hits from the hell pit in the second turn of the challenge if hell pit charges in?

Tarian
19-03-2013, 14:22
I believe the consensus on this thread (Never thought I'd type that) is that impact hits can hit the challenger as it's not being directed at them.