PDA

View Full Version : Warhammer question on IOS

jtrowell
18-03-2013, 10:19
I didn't find an existing thread on this topic, apologies if there was one, but I wanted to pass the news that an official adaptation of Warhammer Quest for IOS has been announced.

Too bad that I'm not a Ipad user, hopefully we will get a port to Android some day ... :rolleyes:

For more informations :
http://pockettactics.com/2013/03/15/slitherine-announces-40k-link-up-with-games-workshop/
http://pockettactics.com/2013/03/15/random-encounter-a-hands-on-preview-of-warhammer-quest/

An adaptation of Space hulk is also planned : http://pockettactics.com/2012/12/10/space-hulk-is-coming-to-ios-in-2013/

MLP
18-03-2013, 11:14
There's definitely been previous threads but thanks for the reminder anyway, WQ due to be released soon I think.

S_A_T_S
18-03-2013, 22:39
Yeah, the original WHQ game announcement was posted here in the WHQ forum, but the mods shut it down and sent it to Computer games. Seems stupid, but them's the rules apparently. I'd expect this one to go the same way if the same mods turn up ;)

Butch1973
03-05-2013, 20:03
I keep checking the App Store to see if it's been released yet and today a game called Dark Quest came up. Art massively ripped off from Heroquest/WHQ. Looks like it's probably dreadful, and costs 1.49, but I'm still tempted. Anyone want to talk me out of getting it?

metalface13
06-05-2013, 20:09
I've heard people say Dark Quest is OK. Warhammer Quest iOS is in beta right now and should be out by the end of the month, I'd wager.

Tharilion
14-05-2013, 16:15
Really hope we get WHQ on Android, but I've got a feeling we might not. Spoke to the guys in my local GW a while ago about why the electronic rulebooks, codexes, WD etc are only on itunes, and he said they made the decision to go with them because it makes piracy easier to avoid or something.

Might have to cave and sell a kidney to buy an ipad.

talion
14-05-2013, 21:50
The satellite company SKY in the UK use the same BS reason why Android can't have their TV app. Don't believe it myself, and let's be honest a GW store employee knowing anything that they haven't been brain washed to say, haven't met one of those either.

snottlebocket
15-05-2013, 17:47
The satellite company SKY in the UK use the same BS reason why Android can't have their TV app. Don't believe it myself, and let's be honest a GW store employee knowing anything that they haven't been brain washed to say, haven't met one of those either.

There's probably a fair amount of truth in it. Apple has always cultivated a closed system where people are accustomed to full service paid digital content (music, apps, magazines etc). At the same time Android has always been about openness. Do what you want with your device, build and run what you want. Google is having a great deal of trouble getting android's user base used to paid content models, there's simply too much free content. It doesn't help that android makes piracy exceedingly easy. Jailbreaking an ios device is perfectly possible but practically comes with more disadvantages than advantages unless you're after something very specific.

As a result it's a statistical fact that piracy rates are much, much higher on android's platform than they are on ios. But more importantly, ios users are far more willing to pay for content than android users. Even though android users far outnumber ios users by now, ios still holds the lion's share of mobile sales.

On top of that Apple's ebook creation tools and distribution platform makes it a breeze to create digital versions of army books. Creation, distribution, marketing apple has it all in place in such a way that it barely takes any effort at all to produce consistently good digital reproductions. Android doesn't. If a company has to make a choice on which platform to invest in, it's a no brainer.

Shas'El Tael
18-05-2013, 11:38
There is now a video of gameplay at the end of this article :

http://pockettactics.com/2013/05/10/warhammer-quest-is-hopefully-out-this-month/

Enjoy. And, hey all, I've been flat out at work but the adventures of our young knight will continue soon!

- Seb.

Modhail
18-05-2013, 23:54
Enjoy. And, hey all, I've been flat out at work but the adventures of our young knight will continue soon!

- Seb.

Brilliant, I'm looking forward to seeing what happens!

Hengist
22-05-2013, 01:31
According to a press release posted on BGG, Rodeo Games' WHQ game has been submitted to Apple for review, meaning that it should be up for sale within a week or two.

In other news, there's also a Battle for Armageddon game in the works (and no 'Long-defunct GW boardgames' subforum in which to post such news).

snottlebocket
23-05-2013, 18:14
Looks like the game will be out next thursday. And at an appropriate price point, which slightly surprised me considering GW is involved.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-05-23-turn-based-ios-game-warhammer-quest-out-next-week

Butch1973
23-05-2013, 19:16
I'm booking Thursday and Friday off. Can't wait...

Shas'El Tael
24-05-2013, 15:33
Nice spot Snottlebocket, saw this on their Facebook channel yesterday too. Possibly my first APP purchase in awhile. :)

The_Real_Chris
30-05-2013, 12:29
Tis out and costs 2.99

MLP
30-05-2013, 12:40
Will buy this eve when I get wifi. Looks great and reviews are good although I'm a little annoyed with the in all purchases. 3 additional characters for 1.99 each and 2.99 for an expansion. Also you can buy gold which isn't a good sign as it means you can just buy your way to win.

Saying that, the base game is only 2.99 which is very good. But with all the current add ons it's nearly 12. I really dislike premium content or expansions that is released with the original game.

Shas'El Tael
30-05-2013, 12:45
What on earth are you doing posting? You should be swiping and tapping your way to riches and fame!

That excited outburst over, I agree, the premium content carries a similar sentiment. However the game is well put together and I admire the finishes. Look forward to comparing reviews with you guys :)

- Seb

snottlebocket
30-05-2013, 19:55
Will buy this eve when I get wifi. Looks great and reviews are good although I'm a little annoyed with the in all purchases. 3 additional characters for 1.99 each and 2.99 for an expansion. Also you can buy gold which isn't a good sign as it means you can just buy your way to win.

Saying that, the base game is only 2.99 which is very good. But with all the current add ons it's nearly 12. I really dislike premium content or expansions that is released with the original game.

I played their previous game Hunters (basically a space hulk knock off on the same engine as this one). It had the same "buy credits" system but it's completely superfluous. You're never in need of the extra credits (or gold so far). In their words it's there for players who want to speed their way through the game.

Besides they need some kind of business model. 2.99 is nothing for production value like this. The basic party is a wonderful all round group. The extra characters are entirely unnecessary for a good experience which makes them the perfect choice for paid additional content.

Butch1973
30-05-2013, 21:21
There's no need to pay for gold, and from what I've seen so far if you did buy gold, and thus loads of expensive equipment, it would completely kill any challenge.

It's a really well put together game, very polished and very close to the original rules.
So far the marauder and the elf are doing all the killing for me, although I did get a three kill deathblow out of my wizard just now. *SPOILER WARNING*- Not sure if it's intentional, but if you stand the elf next to an opponent you can use his ranged attack on a distant foe, then kill what's next to you with your sword. At Level 2 that's four attacks in total, two ranged, two close combat.

snottlebocket
30-05-2013, 22:48
There's no need to pay for gold, and from what I've seen so far if you did buy gold, and thus loads of expensive equipment, it would completely kill any challenge.

It's a really well put together game, very polished and very close to the original rules.
So far the marauder and the elf are doing all the killing for me, although I did get a three kill deathblow out of my wizard just now. *SPOILER WARNING*- Not sure if it's intentional, but if you stand the elf next to an opponent you can use his ranged attack on a distant foe, then kill what's next to you with your sword. At Level 2 that's four attacks in total, two ranged, two close combat.

I think the skills you get on leveling up are randomized. I got a different skill for my elf at level 2. And in my case it's the iron breaker that's turning into a killing machine. Good combat stats + always being on the fore front + multiple attacks means he's cleaving his way through hordes of enemies.

mini review

I'm having a lot of fun with this game. It's doing a great job of hitting all the right details for making it feel like Warhammer Quest. The graphics are gorgeous. Even though the perfectly top down view doesn't show much of the characters, the dungeons look amazing. I'm taking some inspiration from this for my own plastic warhammer quest dungeon. All the familiar rooms are in there from the black and white guard room to the objective rooms like the fountain of light. Lots of details in the dungeon graphics too.

Game play is pretty simply, lots of tapping to move characters around, select attacks and targets. Everything is very clear and the journal does a good job of helping out and describing things (including beastiary and item descriptions). All the random factors are in place as well. The winds of magic blow for the wizard each turn, the warrior priest (additional purchase required) has his faith, the marauder occasionally goes berserk etc. In the hardest difficulty setting your characters do suffer permadeath.

Random events both in the dungeon, during travel and in town are present. Some are old favorites like the runaway bull, others are new as far as I can tell. Some even seem to poke fun at games workshop. (http://i.imgur.com/zORuGbK.jpg) And yes, my dwarf did lose a toe, putting him at -1 movement for the next dungeon. Presumably until the wizard found a way to regrow his toe. Towns provide shops, training ground, temple (for blessings) and a hall of heroes. The towns are quite gorgeous, you don't get to interactively wander through them. Instead towns are presented as a big leather bound book opening and the illustration of the town unfolds from the page until a 3d town is standing on the pages of the book, it's something to behold. Every town has a single "main quest" and is surrounded by randomly generated basic dungeons that usually offer either a boss bounty or a piece of equipment as it's prize. As far as I can tell there's 7 towns and 9 main quests total.

The writing in the game is quite good to and really manages to hit that blend of comedy and high adventure from the original warhammer quest. Some quests offer the occasional choice during the events, ie. will you go left to rescue the prisoner or go right towards those expensive looking doors, it might be hard turning back once you alert the resident monsters. Often these choices have unexpected results. The story isn't a huge part of the game but wherever the writing pops up, it's sure to amuse.

And finally there's the always controversial DLC. At launch day there's three extra characters (slayer, warrior priest and elf mage) as well as an extra set of story quests involving the skaven. You can also buy extra gold to spend in towns. Not to worry though, it's all perfectly optional. The four basic characters have all the variation you could want and buying gold is only for people who are in a rush to finish the game, it's certainly not needed to keep up. I did buy the warrior priest because I always liked him in the board game. I used him to replace the marauder (who is a total killing machine but a bit bland for my tastes). I haven't tried the other two DLC characters but the priest is quite a lot of fun, between the big hammer, the ring of jade and his prayers he adds more variety than the stock marauder.

Anyway if anyone wants I'd be happy to make some request screenshots of the game.

hummus
30-05-2013, 23:11
Is it apple only or on android to?

snottlebocket
30-05-2013, 23:53
Is it apple only or on android to?

Ipad only I'm afraid.

jmefr8
01-06-2013, 01:12
Ipad only I'm afraid.

Actually it's available for iPhone too. I have been playing since yesterday it really is an awesome game. I just hope the rest of the GW iOS games are as good as this one.

shaw3029
01-06-2013, 20:55
I've been playing it since Thursday and loving it. Usually i dont like the additional content but in this case im happy to pay for it, I paid for the warrior priest and troll slayer. The priest adds some different aspects and adds with his spell book and you can almost get away with leaving the wizard behind. The troll slayer doesn't add much really but he has the cool factor.

I've hammered through the game so far. Completing all 9 of the major quests and unlocking all the towns. You then unlock a much harder level with black orcs and the like. it certainly gets tougher!

If your thinking about getting it then splash out the 3!

snottlebocket
02-06-2013, 08:12
I've been playing it since Thursday and loving it. Usually i dont like the additional content but in this case im happy to pay for it, I paid for the warrior priest and troll slayer. The priest adds some different aspects and adds with his spell book and you can almost get away with leaving the wizard behind. The troll slayer doesn't add much really but he has the cool factor.

I've hammered through the game so far. Completing all 9 of the major quests and unlocking all the towns. You then unlock a much harder level with black orcs and the like. it certainly gets tougher!

If your thinking about getting it then splash out the 3!

Do you ever find any other enemies besides green skins and critters? I'm getting kind of sick of fighting the same guys over and over.

Elfwolf
02-06-2013, 11:54
Anyone having issues with force closing etc. On the Reikland/Skaven add on I am playing The Grey Seers Tail quest. After killing Clekus the first time the story says that he vanishes into thin air and the party is supposed to go look for him. When I end the turn the game closes. I have tried multiple methods of moving on and the game always closes. Anyone having similar issues?

dbm
02-06-2013, 15:29
Actually it's available for iPhone too. I have been playing since yesterday it really is an awesome game. I just hope the rest of the GW iOS games are as good as this one.

This is an awesome game. Not only does it work across iPhone and iPad but your saves are synchronised across devices via iCloud. Play on the iPad at home then pick up on your iPhone when an opportunity arises on the move!

So far I have reached 5th level with one of my characters - does anyone know what the maximum level in the game is?

Elfwolf
02-06-2013, 15:58
This is an awesome game. Not only does it work across iPhone and iPad but your saves are synchronised across devices via iCloud. Play on the iPad at home then pick up on your iPhone when an opportunity arises on the move!

So far I have reached 5th level with one of my characters - does anyone know what the maximum level in the game is?

My marauder is level 6 and says he is maxed.

Poncho160
02-06-2013, 16:25
Is this better than Talisman? Whilst it was good to begin with, it quickly got very repetitive.

snottlebocket
02-06-2013, 16:54
Is this better than Talisman? Whilst it was good to begin with, it quickly got very repetitive.

It does get repetitive. I still say its worth the paltry few bucks to see the amazing design though. Wonderful production values.

Butch1973
02-06-2013, 20:50
It's repetitive, and actually not that challenging, but I'm still finding it hard to put down, it's just so well made. Now the core game is all in place I can't see it being that hard for them to add some more baddies and quests. Hope they do!

FerociousBeast
04-06-2013, 18:44
I've bought all the content and have played all the characters, most of the Orc/Critter campaign, and some of the Skaven campaign. My thoughts, in stream of consciousness order:

- The Skaven campaign is hella hard. Don't believe it when it says "Recommended Level: 2". You need to bring high level characters with good gear. I was playing it on hardcore mode, but the only advertised difference between hardcore and normal is perma death. The red quests in my experience weren't too bad, but the white ones were killer. I took three Level 3s and a Level 4 into one of the white dungeons and was immediately swamped by horde after horde of Stormvermin, Rat Ogres, Gigantic Spiders, groups of Claw Leaders, Bombardiers, etc, all with at least 20 HP. I struggled through it, refusing to leave the dungeon because of all the massive XP I'd lose if I did, and then finally got wiped after two successive ambushes of Stormvermin and Claw Leaders late in the dungeon.

- Relatedly, I think it's all kinds of ridiculous that typical Skaven are tougher w/ more HP than Orcs.

- The Warrior Priest isn't worth his $3. His skill is a blessing that randomly activates, is randomly applied to characters, and usually randomly has an effect. It's very rare that most of his blessings ever have an effect. Meanwhile, he starts out with WS2 and doesn't gain a WS boost or additional attacks until Level 3, in my experience. He's a support melee fighter who doesn't offer much support and can't fight. It's also hard to upgrade his gear because he can only take two-handed warhammers and Warrior Priest-specific armor. His Jade Ring is useful, though, because the Grey Wizard needs help with healing.

- Speaking of which, why on earth is the Grey Wizard the healer? His description says he is a practitioner of shadow magic, but there's nothing sneaky or devious about what he does. He heals and does damage. He has no stuns or knockdowns or invisibility spells or anything that you'd normally associate with shadow magic. Whatever, he is useful, though. I just think he's thematically off.

- The Waywatcher and Marauder are both pretty good.

- The two dwarves are okay, but very similar. I'm not sure the Slayer is worth his $3 either. The dwarves even share some of the same abilities.

- The Archmage is worth buying, I think. Having two magic wielders in your party can be pretty effective, and some of the AM's spells are very nice. He's a much better support character than the Warrior Priest, that's for sure, and he can do good damage, too. Oh and he starts with WS4... Eat yer heart out, Sigmar. The Phoenix King has you outclassed.

- The experience system in this game is way off. You can spend five turns whittling a Rat Ogre's HP down with your Slayer, but then, if your Waywatcher gets the killing blow with an arrow, her only contribution to the fight, the Waywatcher gets all the XP for the Rat Ogre. Meanwhile, your Archmage, who keeps drawing defensive magic and has therefore kept the party alive through all the fighting, but has stayed in the back out of harm's way, also doesn't get a single point of XP.

- With this in mind, in the early levels before magic becomes more powerful, make sure you give your Wizard and Archmage good weapons. They're not going to be killing much with their spells, but they have GOT to kill stuff if they're going to level.

- The tanks, especially the Ironbreaker and Warrior Priest, could use some kind of aggro management abilities. That would make both of them much more useful. But again, they still need to be able to do damage so that they can level.

S_A_T_S
04-06-2013, 20:39
@FerociousBeast: From your responses, I guess you have never played the original WHQ board game before. Every thing you mention is exactly the same in the board game, except the Skaven HP and the character names. Welcome to our world! Now put away the digital devices and paint some heroes!

FerociousBeast
05-06-2013, 18:35
If I object to paying $3 for a Warrior Priest, ain't no way I'm going to buy an identical model from GW for $20 for the same purpose! :p

I didn't know Rodeo hewed so closely to the source material, but if so, then consider my complaints directed more broadly at the game in general, whether iOS or tabletop!