PDA

View Full Version : Character movement within the unit

Dunk
19-03-2013, 02:21
Have been wondering about characters movement within the unit.

Let's say that my General/Shaman (whatever) is in the center of my units front line, I now see that this will become a problem, and what to move him to the front line corner.

I might have missed the rule somewhere, but can someone please explain if this is possible, when and how?

Or just as good, just give references to the rules in the book :)

Thanks

dementian
19-03-2013, 02:29
Gotta Reform.

Mr_Rose
19-03-2013, 02:45
Per the rules update/FAQ characters can move around inside units as part of a normal move:

Q: Can characters change position inside a unit as part of a normal move?(p97)
A: Yes, as long as they end up in the rank closest to the front of the unit that has a space in. It is also worth remembering that even if only the character moves the whole unit will count as moving that turn. Having a belligerent officer barge his way through the unit is not conducive to a good round of shooting!

dementian
19-03-2013, 04:52
Well I was wrong.

T10
19-03-2013, 10:34
Well, technically you are not wrong. The author of that FAQ entry is making up rules that allow models to move within units: Those do not exist in the rule book.

The rule book offers one mechanic and one mechanic only for reorganizing the models in a unit: The reform.

But then somebody went crying to the rules boyz.

-T10

Gromdal
19-03-2013, 13:28
But you cannot march after you moved the character with the unit+character right?

T10
19-03-2013, 13:55
The FAQ query relates to a "normal move". You can't perform both a normal move and a march move.

-T10

Dunk
19-03-2013, 16:02
Okey so just to check if I understand this.

To change a characters position, I can only do it in the movement fase?

kefkah
19-03-2013, 17:53
Yes. Altough i dont know wheter it forbids during a march move. Altough it says normal move, stuff like rallying fleeing fast cavalry and steed of shadow allow you to march, even though it only says move.

Mr_Rose
19-03-2013, 18:26
Yes. Altough i dont know wheter it forbids during a march move. Altough it says normal move, stuff like rallying fleeing fast cavalry and steed of shadow allow you to march, even though it only says move.

Since when?

kefkah
19-03-2013, 18:37
Since when?

What do you mean? That rallying fast cavalry and steed of shadows allows you to march? Since 8th editition came out i guess.

Dunk
20-03-2013, 01:33
Hmmm... still seems a bit grey :P

T10
20-03-2013, 07:08
The rules and FAQ put together allows you to move characters around using the Reform maneuver, or during a normal move, or during a Combat Reform. You also get to put the character in a position of your choice when he joins the unit.

Chicago Slim
20-03-2013, 17:26
Okey so just to check if I understand this.

To change a character's position, I can only do it in the movement phase?

Incorrect: You can sometimes also change a character's position within a unit during the Close Combat phase, as part of a Reform.

... Just to echo T10 on his comment, above (and reinforce/apply that to the question quoted here).

Dunk
24-03-2013, 14:32
Think I get it now :)

I can change a characters position with: Reform (p. 14) and Combat reform (p. 55).
However, in a combat reform the models already in combat have to stay in combat, and I therefore can't remove a char from combat this way, or get a char into combat if all enemy's are already occupied... right? :)

T10
24-03-2013, 14:49
(I can't believe I forgot to mention the Make Way! rule!)

Dunk: That is correct, except that the Make Way! rule allows you to move a character from a non-fighting position to a fighting position at the start of the combat round. This is detailed in the Character rules.

-T10

Dunk
24-03-2013, 14:58
(I can't believe I forgot to mention the Make Way! rule!)

Dunk: That is correct, except that the Make Way! rule allows you to move a character from a non-fighting position to a fighting position at the start of the combat round. This is detailed in the Character rules.

-T10

Thanks, looks like I got this stuff under control now :P