PDA

View Full Version : Night Goblin Squig Love!

MLP
21-03-2013, 00:13
So I want to make a Nigh Goblin army. Not to be competetive, just to be totally awesome and fun! But I would also like to feel like with enough luck and tactical prowess I can win games as much as the next guy. I'm looking at the 2000 - 3000 points level (a lot of gobbos to paint!) and below is a list I like the theme of sitng at around 2200 points.

Tactics for this army are to have Skarsnik and the BSB in the main block, keeping the stone trolls on one side and squig herd on the opposite. The shaman bunkers in the other smaller block somewhere. The Manglers will take up one flank. the squig hoppers, with the four great cave squig riding big bosses take the other flank.

Any ideas on this list or any worthy changes?! Could this list work?!

Night Goblin Squiggers (Orcs_and_Goblins)
Lords - 450
Skarsnik, Warlord of the Eight Peaks (+)

Night Goblin Great Shaman (+)
Level 4 Wizard.

Heroes - 457
Night Goblin Big Boss (+)
Great Cave Squig; spear; light armour; shield.

The Bad Moon Banner; great weapon; light armour; shield; Battle Standard.

Core - 504
39 Night Goblins (+)
Night Goblin Boss; Musician; Standard Bearer; shields; spears; Netters.
3 Fanatics

29 Night Goblins (+)
Night Goblin Boss; Musician; Standard Bearer; short bows; Netters.
3 Fanatics

Special - 660
15 Night Goblin Squig Hoppers (+)

30 Cave Squigs (+)
10 Night Goblin Herder.

6 Trolls (+)

Rare - 130
Mangler Squigs (+)

Mangler Squigs (+)

zielonkak
21-03-2013, 00:51
very interesting list....if you go bigger, i would try to add some warmachines....

Madhaven
22-03-2013, 12:40
Looks like a fun list to be sure!

And similar to my own NG list in many respects.

I am intregued and would love to see how that many squig hopping heros do in one unit. If it works let me know i may need to buy some more ha!

My one advice is a cheap hero for Shaman's unit.. the extra leadership is always worth it.. and someone to protect the Shaman.

Adding warmachines would also be a good idea. You can do what i have done and just use Night Goblin models for crew. And for the squig theme the doom diver can have a squig with wings.. and the rocklobba can launch squigs!

Should be a fun (and random) army for you.

MLP
23-03-2013, 21:11
I might add some war machines if I can suitably convert something.

Thanks for the tips, the hero allocation is all for squig cavalry! And the BSB. In 2000 points I might make a lord squig cav and four hero ones. Should leave room for BSB and level4.

Kalandros
23-03-2013, 22:11
Lose the squig hoppers, get more squig herd, fit in a few cheap magic weapons in case of ethereals.

SimaoSegunda
29-03-2013, 02:10
Your squig herd is illegal, as you need one herder for every 3 squigs. Also, you've got stone trolls in your Special section, but only standard trolls are Special, stone trolls are Rare. A ward would be useful for your shaman as well, to protect against miscast wounds and mushroom wounds, especially as he's your only shaman.

Rudra34
29-03-2013, 07:41
Your rare points seem off. I don't think two mangla's work out to 400 points.

I like the concept a lot, and would find it very fun/annoying to play against. See how it goes!

Kalandros
29-03-2013, 08:12
If you put stone trolls in Rare maybe it fits then

But yea the herd is illegal.

Drop the squig hoppers, they're just terrible. Get a second herd or grow it bigger - ideal size is 39 squigs 13 herders, 10 wide.

MLP
29-03-2013, 10:19
Ah I see the issue, I originally had stone trolls in rare but changed them to normal trolls last minute. Have fixed the list.

I thought the squig herd only needed 3 herders, I don't remember seeing a rule saying 3:10.

So why are squig hoppers so bad? Is it because of the low toughness? Maybe having the great squigs heroes will help out with that as they're a bit tougher.

Jind_Singh
30-03-2013, 02:06
Don't listen too much about the hoppers - I use a unit of 5 with a boss and they are a MVP unit - the ability to randomly run down fleeing troops, they provide a perfect screen when facing missile troops, they are fast enough to run around the flanks, they excel at killing enemy chaff as no one can flee from them - and when in close combat with blocks of troops they excel at chasing running troops.

60pts for that? Love it! Not to mention that the models are cool.

I don't know if I like the army though - the blocks of Gobbos need to be 50 strong (inc characters) as they die so fast (you'll lose on average 10 models a turn when facing a good unit) so steadfast is king - but I find 50 models to be the sweet spot.

I'd look at 2 units of 50, the squig herd, a unit of hoppers, the 2 manglers, the trolls - and your looking good to go. I also like to add 1-2 characters per combat block - I run a lord/hero in one, and a lord/hero in the other - they give us the combat res we need.

I don't know if the unit of heroes on squigs is going to pay off - unless one of them was a lord with crown of command - so they can tough it out and trade shots - the sheer number of attacks will see the enemy dead sooner or later.

Pump Wagons are also a good buy - as they are not crewed by gobbos.

If your going to add warmachines then just call it a goblin army and add more useful goblin units into the mix.

Jind_Singh
30-03-2013, 02:08
My squig herd is 15 squigs, 10 herders - 150pts - and it works wonders - I'd rather run 2 units of that than the mega unit as the squigs get their moneys worth in smaller units - being 2 attacks each - in a horde your not getting the return back on the pts invested