PDA

View Full Version : Where should my WoC Characters go now with 8th edition book.

24-03-2013, 21:39
I used to run the Disc Sorceror Lord who would run around blasting stuff and just be a general pain in the ass. I love Tzeentch magic and the +5 to cast it gave me. Treason was awesome for the new trend in hordes. 50 Greatweapon guys cool, 25 of them are going to whack themselves in the face and die lol..

Sadly Tzeentch magic is crap now and I'm not sure how to do my characters. It seems the Tzeentch Disc Sorceror is replaced by the stubborn unkillable Chaos Lord on Disc. Okay thats cool. But what about mages? I think instead of rocking 1 level 4 maybe two level 2s.

Do you guys have any decent ideas or builds that could help me out. I'm at a lost since all our good magic items went the way of the DoD

datalink7
24-03-2013, 22:40
Tzeentch magic is indeed now sub par. However, Metal isn't nearly as bad as most people think and can actually be fairly competitive. You can still run your level Level 4 on a disk with a 1+/3++ rerolling 1's. Give him the stubborn crown as well, a cheap magic weapon, and he can also be used to either hold up large units (make sure to have a BSB near by because only LD8) or clear out chaff while still casting spells and being pretty much unkillable.

If you don't want to do that, but Nurgle and Slaanesh are good choices for mages. Both of those Lores are good, and the other choices (Death and Shadow) are also good. It will depend on what kind of Army you are running. Did you want to run a Daemon Prince?

24-03-2013, 23:14
I can run a daemon prince but I don't usually if ever.

I run 30 MoT Sword/Board Warriors
18 MoK Blender Warriors
15 Chosen or Warrior of Khorne with Halberds
10 Hounds
5 Knights of Khorne
4 Skullcrushers
6 Trolls with 2xHW
2 Hellcannons

Azzaphox
25-03-2013, 13:01
I think the point above is that the demon prince is now certainly worth trying.

I find that a lvl4 is really handy, 2 lower level mages just aren't as reliable power wise.
Also I am working with putting tzeencth hero on a disc to very quickly target non-large units and take them out on the flanks.
Maybe keep the sorcerors safe in the warrior or chosen unit with a champion so you don't need to challenge?

Havock
25-03-2013, 17:15
Tzeentch magic is indeed now sub par. However, Metal isn't nearly as bad as most people think and can actually be fairly competitive. You can still run your level Level 4 on a disk with a 1+/3++ rerolling 1's. Give him the stubborn crown as well, a cheap magic weapon, and he can also be used to either hold up large units (make sure to have a BSB near by because only LD8) or clear out chaff while still casting spells and being pretty much unkillable.

If you don't want to do that, but Nurgle and Slaanesh are good choices for mages. Both of those Lores are good, and the other choices (Death and Shadow) are also good. It will depend on what kind of Army you are running. Did you want to run a Daemon Prince?

Metal is simply incredibly dependant on one of the two armies. It has some awesome buffs and debuffs that accentuate WoC's strong point. Glittering robes on warriors, enchanted blades, transmutation of lead. Fairly subtle spells that throw our already better-than-most statlines into 'lolnope' territory.

BattleofLund
25-03-2013, 17:47
Metal is simply incredibly dependant on one of the two armies. It has some awesome buffs and debuffs that accentuate WoC's strong point. Glittering robes on warriors, enchanted blades, transmutation of lead. Fairly subtle spells that throw our already better-than-most statlines into 'lolnope' territory.

Me, I want to either seriously hurt my enemy, or be brutally unsubtle. I'm up against armies with more guns than me, and I want to hurt them back. Tried Metal with Dark Elves - totally okay. Tried Metal with WoC - not my cup of tea. (My opponents don't have much armour either.)

Icarus81
25-03-2013, 18:43
I can run a daemon prince but I don't usually if ever.

I run 30 MoT Sword/Board Warriors
18 MoK Blender Warriors
15 Chosen or Warrior of Khorne with Halberds
10 Hounds
5 Knights of Khorne
4 Skullcrushers
6 Trolls with 2xHW
2 Hellcannons

That is a somewhat absurd number of S&B MoT warriors, but I suppose it makes sense in context with 2 cannons.

snyggejygge
25-03-2013, 20:49
I've been running just 2 heroes lately

BSB on exalted steed, 3+ ward with re-rolling 1's kit, add charmed shield & a halberd & he's one tough guy to kill with T5, 3W, 2+ save, 3++ ward re-rolling 1's & ignoring the first hit, while also striking with 4 S6 attacks + mount.

Sorcerer on foot with enchanted shield, scroll & Ironcurse Icon, bit risky as a general, but really he's just there to protect my army from the worst of magic & adds a bit of protection from warmachines as well. Add Mark and/or Opal Amulet if you feel he needs it.

I've tried the Daemonprince of Nurgle as well as the unkillable & stubborn Chaos lord, but found I get just as much done from these 2 chars above & can buy more troops.
I've also run a game with lvl 4 of Tzeentch on disc, unkillable set-up, but Lore of metal just wasn't good enough & tzeentchlore really sucks, so decided to just use magic wielders to protect me from the worst my opponents throw at me.

cold0
25-03-2013, 23:23

I agree; while you can't "fight fire with fire" with the Metal Lore, it has some strong buffs/debuffs that work nicely with the WoC, even if your opponent is low of Armor Save. +2 to the Armor Save, + 1 to hit Piercing are awesome, and -1WS/BS/Armor save is good against shooting units as in close combat. So the Lore of Metal has 3 spell which are very good to buff warrior or to debuff the enemy. Of the others, at least Final Trasmutation is a quite fearsome spell, no lethal as Pit of Shades/Purple un but can cover an higher number of enemy model. So four really good spell, while the other two are situational (even if Gehenna is no worse than its Slaneesh equivalent, Pavane, it's an higher cost but can do more wounds potentially). in the end, a quite effective lore, far better than Tzeentch one in my opinion.

Icarus81
26-03-2013, 01:17
in the end, a quite effective lore, far better than Tzeentch one in my opinion.

I so completely disagree, but the debate will be fruitless.

Havock
26-03-2013, 02:08
What does the Tzeentch lore do?

Icarus81
26-03-2013, 02:32
What does the Tzeentch lore do?

Kills hordes (Pink Fire / Firestorm)
Kills tough targets (Bolt / Gateway)
Has utility (Treason / Glean)
Kills chaff (any damage spell + warpflame)

When using a level 4 anything with a casting value of 10 or less (blue fire, treason, pink fire, bolt, glean should use 2 dice (unless you want to force it through), which gives you 28% in each cast for an extra power die (2.8% to miscast). Anything between 11 and 14 (just regular firestorm) should use 3 dice (35% for an extra power die and 7.4% to miscast). Spells needing 15+ (boosted firestorm, gateway) would need 4 dice (38.5% for an extra die, 13.2% for miscast).

Marshal_Loss
26-03-2013, 04:47
I'm with Icarus. The Lore of Tzeentch isn't near as awesome as it was in the last book, but when using it in combination with a level 4 on a disc, I've pulled off some awesome stunts with it. Treason and Glean are fantastic and Bolt can easily be used to slaughter some very expensive units thanks to your high maneuverability with a disc. Even with the changes ti Gateway, it is still deadly. So the law is definitely doable, although I'd only ever use it if I was on a disc. Metal is good also!

cold0
26-03-2013, 09:54
I so completely disagree, but the debate will be fruitless.[/COLOR]

Yes, the debate can go on and on. It's to notice even the use of lore; lately I play with a DP with Nurgle/Slaneesh (with their lore o Death/Shadow) and a Tzeetch Sorcerer with a Skull Katan in a Warriors unit; so the Sorcerer is a back-up/dices generator for the DP. With a Sorcerer Lord on disc, probably a more offensive lore is a better choice.

John Vaughan
28-03-2013, 04:01
I personally look forward to giving a DP a spin. I'd kit mine with the handy dandy breath weapon, scaly skin, soul devourer (where he regains wounds), chaos armor, wings, and the common magic item that allows AS rerolls. He becomes the unbreakable bane of infantry with 5 attacks, 2d6 S4 flaming attacks, and d6 thunderstomp attacks in close combat. On the defensive side, he'd have a 2+/5++ with rerollable armor save. Still looking at ideas, but this is one I definitely look forward to trying. Not sure on which mark... Possibly khorne or nurgle.

zielonkak
28-03-2013, 21:03
I run a nurgle DP with level 2 and familiar, scaled skin and chaos armor, charmed shield, dragon bane gem, and sword of striking...sometimes a few more gifts depending on points. The other character I run is festus in a unit of warriors with either shields or GW.

Korpacz
29-03-2013, 18:59
To answer the OPs question - I don't think the placement of characters has changed much. You'll still see disk riders and sorcerers hiding in blocks of warriors.