PDA

View Full Version : Skaven Screeming Bell Question

nickdahkwik
26-03-2013, 15:25
I have a quick question regarding the Skaven Screeming Bell...

In the book it says something along the lines of right after the winds of magic have been generated to roll your choosing of dice 2-3 each turn to ring bell then the result on the chart will occur.(1 dice fist time its rung).

My question is Does the Skaven screeming Bell use POWER DICE to ring the bell since its magical? or not? I would think no, but in 8th ed has this changed or maybe i am doing it wrong.

Thanks, New to Skaven but this is important.

grimnar1031
26-03-2013, 15:29
The screeming bell does not use power dice, and in the GW eratta you can now ring the bell at any point during your magic phase - not at the beginning of the magic phase.

sanada
26-03-2013, 20:33
The screeming bell does not use power dice, and in the GW eratta you can now ring the bell at any point during your magic phase - not at the beginning of the magic phase.

can you quote that faq? because that would will news for me

agurus1
26-03-2013, 20:47
I'm going to jump in here as well with a question: if your opponent manages to end the magic phase via the Vortex Shard or some such, can you still roll for the Bell or no?

dementian
27-03-2013, 00:58
I'm going to jump in here as well with a question: if your opponent manages to end the magic phase via the Vortex Shard or some such, can you still roll for the Bell or no?

This would probably fall into the stupid faq of whoever turn it is decides

thesoundofmusica
27-03-2013, 01:39
"During magic phase..."
Magic phase ended.
Can I ring bell?

Yeah I think the answer is in there somewhere.

sanada
27-03-2013, 09:32

i'm still waiting fro grimnar to quote the faq...

but answering your question, i think that with the vortex shard you can't roll for the bell. Both item and rolling for winds of magic happen at the start of the magic phase, while the bell is immediately after rolling for winds.
So as it's your turn, you can decide to roll for winds of magic first, but then he can use the vortex shard (at least that's what i think)

RanaldLoec
27-03-2013, 20:25
You could download the faq the sticky at the top of the rules forum has links to all the faqs and errata.

theunwantedbeing
27-03-2013, 20:30
"During magic phase..."
Magic phase ended.
Can I ring bell?

Yeah I think the answer is in there somewhere.

I'm going to hazard a guess at this.

The magic phase has ended and the bell has not been rung.
So, you can't choose to ring the bell if the magic phase has ended by some means.

Confusing I know.

Grendel rat
27-03-2013, 23:55
I believe you MUST ring the bell during friendly magic phase.

Rudra34
28-03-2013, 01:01
It's skaven, there must be some sort of loophole making it possible :)

Grendel rat
28-03-2013, 05:01
Yeah, as i read the rules, there is no option to not ring the bell. So if the magic phase is over, and the bell has not been rung, you gotta ring it. Then it can be over. Seems like i forget to ring it more than id like to admit. My opponents are pretty good about letting me ring it as its a chance for me to do something bad to my back line. Correct me if I'm wrong here.

Grendel rat
28-03-2013, 05:04
Ha! I will correct me. Guess you can choose to ring the bell...

nickdahkwik
28-03-2013, 18:05
Thanks for the quick and great responses and the other question too this is good stuff to know as a newer Skaven player Thanks to all!

agurus1
29-03-2013, 06:53
Hahaha of course the skaven would have a way around it, I can't wait to point that out to my opponent next time. "Sorry man, I MUST ring the bell." Every time I do it a play a bar from "For Whom the Bell Tolls" as a work out the results :P

sanada
29-03-2013, 09:28
can you again quote where it says you MUST roll the bell?
it says "you can choose to ring the bell" and i'm not seeing any faq.

Morkash
29-03-2013, 11:41
can you again quote where it says you MUST roll the bell?
it says "you can choose to ring the bell" and i'm not seeing any faq.

The FAQ does not mention anything like that. To my best knowledge the armybook entry "the Skaven player can choose to ring the Screaming Bell" is still valid.

dementian
29-03-2013, 14:02
I thought it said you can choose to ring the bell with two dice or three.

Grendel rat
01-04-2013, 19:33
Yup looks like you can choose NOT to ring the bell. So if the magic phase ends and you have not rung the bell, it doesn't ring. But it also doesn't blow up and nuke your whole line that phase either. I was wrong...

Surgency
02-04-2013, 02:28
I thought it said you can choose to ring the bell with two dice or three.

No. It specifically says "The Skaven player can choose to ring the Bell." It later states that the FIRST time you ring it you can only use 1 die, but subsequent attempts can use 1-3 dice

FatTrucker
06-04-2013, 10:50
'In his magic phase, immediately after generating power dice the Skaven player can choose to ring the Screaming Bell'
Owning players phase only.
Directly after power dice are generated.
Players choice wether to ring or not.

There's no errata that has changed that.

If an item prevents the Magic Phase from taking place or no power dice are rolled then the Bell can't be rung as you ring it after power dice are rolled.
If you fail to ring it immediately after power dice are rolled then the bell cannot be rung later in the phase.
Explicit and clear RAW.