PDA

View Full Version : VC (Tomb Banshee)

Niekish
26-03-2013, 19:57
Hey guys,

Since I'm not familiar with playing warhammer and interpreting Armybooks, I have some questions regarding the Vampire Counts army I would really like to set up.

I bought the VC 8th edition armybook, because I want to start up a VC army.

-Tomb Banshee: IIRC, I've read something about benefitting a (core) unit with the Banshees Ethereal protection, I quickly read through my armybook. However, there is no sign of such a rule in the armybook, as far as I could see. My question is therefore quite obvious: Am I following a wrong trail, or is there really such a rule when fielding your Tomb Banshee as a Hero choice. In case there is such a regulation, is the use of this limited to, for instance, 1 unit? Or can i field numurous ethereal units?

-Since (Strigoi) Ghoul Kings seem rather epic to me, based on stats, I wondered why there was no such model available in the GW store. The only one I could find was the one mounted on a Terrorgheist. However, I might not like to field one in that way, so would it be an option to field that particular model on foot??

-IN the past I've had a Bretonnian army, however, I never completed painting it, and I don't like fielding an all-human army. The armybook of Bretonnia mentions that you should at least field a pre-set amount of core units per x-amount of points, I have not found such a regulation in my VC book. Is there a different amount of core troops you have to field in a VC army?

As I mentioned, I have no experience playing games, therefore some questions might sound stupid. But after reading to numurous pages in both the tactics and armylist forums, I'm kind of at a loss.

Thanks in advance!

warplock
26-03-2013, 20:05
-Tomb Banshee: IIRC, I've read something about benefitting a (core) unit with the Banshees Ethereal protection, I quickly read through my armybook. However, there is no sign of such a rule in the armybook, as far as I could see. My question is therefore quite obvious: Am I following a wrong trail, or is there really such a rule when fielding your Tomb Banshee as a Hero choice. In case there is such a regulation, is the use of this limited to, for instance, 1 unit? Or can i field numurous ethereal units?

There is no such rule.

-Since (Strigoi) Ghoul Kings seem rather epic to me, based on stats, I wondered why there was no such model available in the GW store. The only one I could find was the one mounted on a Terrorgheist. However, I might not like to field one in that way, so would it be an option to field that particular model on foot??

Yes, they can be fielded on foot. You can model the Terrorgheist one like it's jumping off a rock, or there are some old (dated-looking) official models, now out of production.
Normal Vampire Lords are better rules-wise, but I'll leave that argument well alone :p

-IN the past I've had a Bretonnian army, however, I never completed painting it, and I don't like fielding an all-human army. The armybook of Bretonnia mentions that you should at least field a pre-set amount of core units per x-amount of points, I have not found such a regulation in my VC book. Is there a different amount of core troops you have to field in a VC army?

In 8th edition that rule is obsolete. Instead, you must field at least 25% of your points as Core units. This is explained in the main rule book.

Finally, regarding fielding VC, I highly recommend them. They're unique, look amazing, and have loads of really cool units.

Niekish
26-03-2013, 20:10
Thanks a lot for your quick reply!

It's quite dissapointing to read that there is no such rule, since I really wanted to apply an Ethereal theme within my army. :p
Is there any other way to get your Core's Ethereal? ^^

dementian
26-03-2013, 20:10
If I am understanding you, I think the banshees would be used as heros to fill the front rank of a unit so that non magical attacks would do nothing to the unit in combat.

Niekish
26-03-2013, 20:14
Yes, that is exactly what I'm trying to bring across, I'm sorry.

I have found the article in which I have found this 'rule'. Here is a quote from http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?339429-The-New-Vampire-Counts-8th-Edition-Tactica

Tomb Banshee and Cairn Wraiths

Well, the Banshee certainly has more uses as a hero than a champion for a Wraith unit, as you can stick her in something rubbish like Skeletons, protecting them with her Ethereal status and killing some stuff. Cairn Wraiths can do the same, adding kills to units while protecting them from non-magical attacks, although Cairn Wraiths are also perfectly capable of going off on their own to run down fast cavalry or small chaff units. Pretty decent for their cost.

Lord Inquisitor
26-03-2013, 20:16

This isn't so much a rule, as a strategy (or gimmick, depends who you ask). What you'd do is take 5 ethereal characters, let's say 5 banshees. You put them in a unit of skeletons, let's say 20 skellies in 5x5 formation. If anyone charges this unit, you'd move the 5 banshees to contact the enemy, so that the enemy can't contact anyone other than the banshees and therefore must attack them. The unit isn't really ethereal but it can be quite similar to facing an ethereal unit if you engage them only on one flank. If you got a second unit in there of course you'd be able to whack the skeletons.

It's a nasty trick especially since the banshees will scream your unit off the table while you can't hurt them. This will typically be done in conjunction with other ethereals, terrorgheists for extra screams, and so on.

This is a very competitive tactic and not one I would recommend for a new player. Your opponents probably won't want to play it nor is it a good way to learn the game.

Kayosiv
26-03-2013, 20:19
"protecting them with ethereal status" is refering to models in base contact. For example, if you have a 5 wide unit of skeletons fighting a 7 wide unit of something else, if the Banshee is on the edge of a unit, several of the enemy models on that edge will only be in base contact with the banshee, and thus their attacks will be wasted unless they have magical attacks. The more ethereal things you put in the front rank of a unit, the more this becomes true, but the more expensive the unit gets.

*Oops, beaten by the Inquisitor.

Niekish
26-03-2013, 20:23
Thanks guys, I got it.

I actually thought that the entire unit would be protected by a single Ethereal hero, however that is not the case.
So, spending an awefull lot of points on, for instance 5 Banshees, was never my intention.

Thanks!

Vipoid
26-03-2013, 20:27

That Strigoi Ghoul King model can indeed be fielded on foot (and it's a really nice model :D), meaning the terrorgheist can be used separately. I believe the kit includes a 20mm base for that purpose.

If you have anything like a rock or somesuch for the base, you could probably make a nice 'leaping' ghoul king model.

Also, if you don't want a terrorghiest at the moment, you can probably find the Ghoul King bits on ebay.

Askari
26-03-2013, 20:35
Yes, that is exactly what I'm trying to bring across, I'm sorry.

I have found the article in which I have found this 'rule'. Here is a quote from http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?339429-The-New-Vampire-Counts-8th-Edition-Tactica

That'd be me.

What I meant has been explained already - you use the front rank of Ethereals (you don't need the full rank to deny some attacks, as said a 7-wide unit facing a 5-wide Skeleton unit with Wraiths/Banshees on the edges would lose out on attacks) to protect the unit.

If you have anything like a rock or somesuch for the base, you could probably make a nice 'leaping' ghoul king model.

Or the large pieces of "ice" that come with the Terrorgheist. Makes an excellent ramp for a Ghoul King to leap off.