PDA

View Full Version : Empire - What to buy and what to avoid

hanrahandh
30-03-2013, 10:49
Hey, I'm a tomb kings player, but I want to start collecting some Empire, as they seem fun to play. I wish to make a tournament worthy army, and I was trying to decide what to use.

My favorite units at the moment are the knights (demigriffs included) and the war machines (especially the steam tank). Would I be able to build a tournament worthy army with units like these? Any advice would be welcome, thanks!

Lance Tankmen
30-03-2013, 10:53
of course, all mounted empire works fine, supported by cannons and what not. steam tanks can rarely do wrong, and when its on its last leg simply make it explode.

SimaoSegunda
30-03-2013, 11:39
Chocobo Knights are cool, just have to consider what unit size you want. 3s are good, but take too many and you waste the fighting prowess of the Demigryph itself, as mounts don't get to make their supporting attacks. I tend to find they work well as flank chargers once a steadfast spearman/halbardier unit has taken a charge, they have enough killing power to swing combat, but they struggle alone to generate combat res.

hanrahandh
30-03-2013, 23:55
thanks so much for responding!

So, I was thinking, if I take a 2000 point army, should I take 6 demigriff knights (in 2 units of 3) some units of infantry with detachments of either halberdiers and crossbowmen or handgunners. I was also thinking of 2 units of knightly orders; one inner circle with lances, the other with great weapons. Then maybe a couple of cannons and a mortor and then 2 steam tanks for rare.

I was also thinking of greatswords; how many is useful? Should I take 10 or 20?
Oh yea, and what should I take for lords and heroes? I wanted to take a lvl 4 wizard and maybe one of the chariots, even if it replaces a steam tank :P

Half-Light
31-03-2013, 01:59
DGK are retardedly imbalanced, so feel free to take as many as you want. Only limitations are: 1) they're a special choice 2) playing pleasure/sportsmanship.

Also, just stay away from units that are so weak they're pratically worthless, such as free companies, handgunners or crossbowmen. Though the latter are slightly better.

Apart from that, feel free to build what you like, as the rest is mostly viable, it all comes down to your preferences: you're more likely to perform better with a list you like anyway.

hanrahandh
31-03-2013, 07:43
DGK are retardedly imbalanced, so feel free to take as many as you want. Only limitations are: 1) they're a special choice 2) playing pleasure/sportsmanship.

Also, just stay away from units that are so weak they're pratically worthless, such as free companies, handgunners or crossbowmen. Though the latter are slightly better.

Apart from that, feel free to build what you like, as the rest is mostly viable, it all comes down to your preferences: you're more likely to perform better with a list you like anyway.

Does this mean that my idea of taking hand gunners as a detachment is still viable, or should I reconsider? I always thought it was a good idea, to give them some stand and shoot as well as killing heavy infantry from afar...

Asuryan's Spear
31-03-2013, 18:23
depends if you want the ultra competitive build (what the net says)
if so avoid the following:
flagellants
pistoliers
griffon rider
celestial hurricanum
swordsmen( net says Halberds are the way to go)
Knights (DGK can do the same role for the same points and are better at it)
Mortars
Hellstorm rocket batteries

what i think:
avoid markus Mulfhart (hunter SC) and everything else can be made to work. get the models you like and if you play enough with them you'll learn how to use them effectively.. all this optimise listing can get tiresome. in the end the game is about generalship strategy and tactics and having the most optimised list won't win you games

hanrahandh
31-03-2013, 23:34
Thanks, that helps so much!

I'm going to write a list now and I'll post it on this thread :D

hanrahandh
01-04-2013, 01:50
I was just looking over the celestial hurricanum, and it looks amazing. The bound spell may be unreliable, but has some very useful effects; most notably the tornado, which can prevent your opponent from using their units effectively. Adding one dice to your power pool is quite nice, especially if you have lots of bound spells. The +1 to hit is also amazing, letting high weapon skill troops (such as knights or swordsmen) hit on a 2+. I don't know why this is deemed bad, could someone please explain? From what I've seen the Luminark of Hysh is worse and the hurricanum is great...

Half-Light
01-04-2013, 11:11
No you're actually right, I don't know what the guy above is smoking, but the hurricanum is great. Of course you have to use it right: it's basically a buff machine which can also charge when it's needed. The bound spell is great, but it's really rare to get it off, I find my opponents always dispel this one. I always forget the additional power dice though ...

Pistoliers can be really useful too, it's just that they're hard to use well. They shine as redirectors and generally harass units, not so much for their killing capacity. BS 3 =(

The knights are good too, of course the ICK are better, but they are also more expensive. Basic knights units buffed with a warrior priest are extremely potent.

The griffon rider is subpar, that is true, but I really love using one, and really it's decent. The bloodroar is awesome (test terror with 3d6, the 2 higher dice count).

What annoys me the most really is the fact that DGK are ridiculously overpowered just because it's a new unit GW wants to sell... ;'( But it's the way it is.

Concerning handgunners, well... I'd recommend you see for yourseful, but standard shooting is really weak at the moment, and 24' range, fire or move type of troops with 3BS is almost useless.

danny-d-b
01-04-2013, 11:33
can I just add to the hurrcanum is great train of thought, yes the bound spell isn't that good, but the other buffs is worth it is great, hitting on 3s with hatred is a 88% h it chance which is pritty ace considering how cheep our state troops are, a hoard of halbaders with a warrior priest and that buff can do a lot of dammage in the right situations

Fighting Newfoundlander
01-04-2013, 21:40
Agree w/ Hurricanum. Awesome, esp w/ Halbert.

On handgunners, I think this depends on terrain and how they're used. Take a 60 man Halbert hord. That unit of handgunners can be a 25-30 man detachment, sitting right behind it on a hill (3x10). If so, it's awesome. If it's a line of handgunners that's somehow supposed to hold a section of the battleline, well....

I would agree that there are a lot of competitive core choices for empire, and handgunners don't make the top of the list, but they definitly still have their uses, especially with just 2 hellblasters in an army.

PS - take 2 hellblasters w/ engineers. They rock, and never blow up. I'd lose a Steam Tank for 2 any day (but add a steamtank as well - why not?)

hanrahandh
02-04-2013, 05:24
Agree w/ Hurricanum. Awesome, esp w/ Halbert.

On handgunners, I think this depends on terrain and how they're used. Take a 60 man Halbert hord. That unit of handgunners can be a 25-30 man detachment, sitting right behind it on a hill (3x10). If so, it's awesome. If it's a line of handgunners that's somehow supposed to hold a section of the battleline, well....

I would agree that there are a lot of competitive core choices for empire, and handgunners don't make the top of the list, but they definitly still have their uses, especially with just 2 hellblasters in an army.

PS - take 2 hellblasters w/ engineers. They rock, and never blow up. I'd lose a Steam Tank for 2 any day (but add a steamtank as well - why not?)

This seems like a good idea, if I'm playing 2000 would I be able to take the hellblasters as well as a tank and hurricanium? Also, I was considering swordsmen to halberdiers because of the hurricanium - hitting on 2's with hatred means i pretty much always hit (higher weaponskill = 3, hurricanum = 2, warrior priest = reroll)
Is this a good idea, or should I rely on the strength of the halberdiers. Also, halberdiers can have shields, like tomb guard... what is the point of this? Do they get +1 armour even though their weapon requires two hands? or can they choose to use the shields instead?

Vulgarsty
03-04-2013, 22:44
I bought my Bretts with a view to using as Empire so I get twice the bang for buck (halberdiers as halberdiers, longbows as bowmen detatchments, KOTR as Empire Knights for example)

I then got 3 cannons (ebay o/c), painted them bronze, used the shorter frames, and then painted the spare mortars gunmetal and then I hotswap them rather than glue them (tiny bit of blu-tac does the job), a steam tank off ebay and 3 DGK's - so now quite a convincing empire army for an extra 50 - or the other way around, just pick up two trebs and a few pegasi and you can do some cool Bretty type things.

Just a couple of thoughts.

- as for prior post, no, halberdiers don't get +1 to their armour in combat if they have shields but they do have +1 armour if shot at on the way in.

hanrahandh
04-04-2013, 00:38
I bought my Bretts with a view to using as Empire so I get twice the bang for buck (halberdiers as halberdiers, longbows as bowmen detatchments, KOTR as Empire Knights for example)

I then got 3 cannons (ebay o/c), painted them bronze, used the shorter frames, and then painted the spare mortars gunmetal and then I hotswap them rather than glue them (tiny bit of blu-tac does the job), a steam tank off ebay and 3 DGK's - so now quite a convincing empire army for an extra 50 - or the other way around, just pick up two trebs and a few pegasi and you can do some cool Bretty type things.

Just a couple of thoughts.

- as for prior post, no, halberdiers don't get +1 to their armour in combat if they have shields but they do have +1 armour if shot at on the way in.

This seems like a good idea - starting a new army is always expensive and state troops are over priced - I would prefer having separate boxes for each of them, not buying 10 for $30-35 AUD. So I was thinking on taking halberdiers (with no shields) as the main state troops with some detachments of hand-gunners or crossbowmen then taking a squad of 10 or so knights with lances and 3 demigriff knights. Then a lvl 4 wizard on a celestial hurricanium (with the lore of heavens) as well as a lvl 2 lore of shadow. Then some warrior priests and engineers. For rare I would have a steam tank and two hellblasters - for some range potential. How does this sound so far? Am I missing something? I think this army is balanced and can deal with most units, but since I've never played Empire I'm not too sure...