PDA

View Full Version : Played my first game last night. No one died. What did I do wrong?

Cowboyjon
31-03-2013, 06:22
So a buddy of mine picked this up at a garage sale or something similar a little while ago for a steal. Everything is there but for a single die. Only problem is, it's in French. Now I'm bilingual, so this was more or less OK for me, but I noticed at times the translation seemed different, or I maybe wasn't totally sure about something. I have PDFs of the rules in English though, so we were able to get into it pretty well, each of us controlling two heroes. So we played the fire chasm mission and I was controlling the barbarian and wizard. I lost the barbarian in the end actually, but only because I really foolishly blocked everyone from crossing the bridge when I had only like 3 wounds left. Other than that though It was challenging, but not quite the slaughter-fest I was expecting. I know people are always saying it's hard and you need to tweak to survive the first game or two, but I didn't tweak at all. And I rolled terribly. So, I feel like I may have missed some obvious thing, and was curious if I could get some opinions.

I know for a fact we handled the events wrong. I forgot that corridors don't generate events. We generated monsters for every new tile, not just the dungeon rooms.

We never saw a single dungeon room. Just the starting tile, passages and then the objective room. Is that a normal thing?

I think we assigned out the monsters and hits as competently as possibly. In some cases I was wondering about monsters movement. Models can't move through each other right? So if you have a few pinned then it's possible for a wall of monsters to be held back not attacking in a corridor?

A lot of the monsters we generated had only 1 or two wounds, and a toughness of 2 or 3. Becasue of this a hit from say the barbarian will kill a monster no matter what he rolls on a D6 thus creating a long streak of deathblows so long as he doesn't miss the attacks. Is this normal? It generally felt easy to kill monsters, even though they did a good job of beating us up.

I want to once again emphasize that I rolled terribly. At one point I had at Minotaur show up on two consecutive 1's for the wizard. I also only had spells of value 5 and 6, and rolled only 1 initial power (including on the reroll)

I really feel like we fought to many things, and had some bad luck, but overall it just wasn't that tough... Any thoughts on what I might have missed?

jeroen84
01-04-2013, 17:17
We never saw a single dungeon room. Just the starting tile, passages and then the objective room. Is that a normal thing?

This should be wrong. You have a dungeon room card deck that you use to create the dungeon. Check the "The Adventure Begins" section of the rulebook.

Apart from that, I don't see erratic things. As long as people take care of the healing, I haven't found WQ very deadly either..

nedius
02-04-2013, 10:16
At the initial levels, it's not unusual to not loose a charater. This is probably intentional, so everyone can play and survive their first missions. As you level up, and encoutner tougher opponents, then you get far more likely to die each quest.

Purplebeard
02-04-2013, 19:45
I disagree with the above comments. I find WHQ to (generally) be very challenging for starting warriors, and to get less deadly at the high levels. By the time the warriors reach the high levels, they have had the time to max out and gain the best magic/treasure items. At level 1/2, the wizard's starting spells (or the party composition if you don't have a wizard) can be big factors imo.

Of course, with the pseudo-random shuffling/rolling for your dungeon and event decks, you are likely to encounter some easy dungeons along the way too.

S_A_T_S
02-04-2013, 22:11
I played a short game last night that ended badly - we romped through the first couple of dungeon rooms (few beasties and Freeze! dealt with most of them) but when we got to the objective room, three minotaurs just kerbstomped the Knight into the ground, the wizard had had backed into another room to avoid one of the Minotaur so was out of Healing Hands range, and the Noble just missed with every attack. The pit fighter did ok, the Heal-Itt potion keeping her alive, but without the others, three Minotaur made short work of our last party member. It's all about party build and treasure - we don't know exactly what spells you took or your power store: even on a power roll of 1, you could use power store to confuse the Minotaur to prevent it attacking, or if the Minotaur is on it's own just pummel it with all 4 warriors before it gets to attack. Warhammer Quest tend to kill you when lots of things happen at once - it can flip in a split second. For you, apparently it didn't flip.

Daemonslave
02-04-2013, 23:47
I noticed you were asking about the monsters movement. Have you been placing generated monsters in base contact with the heroes?

Also you mention about death blows killing lots of monsters in one go. Yes, against weaker creatures that will happen (but you do know the monsters have to be adjacent to one another for this to occur?). Plus, were you doing the decaration phase correctly - so that if you said you would be searching for treasure and then monsters turned up you would have to roll to be able to attack them that turn?

Like Purplebeard, I find that the first few missions are the most lethal because your warrior has no equipment etc. After that the game gets easier until about level 8/9 when the beasties really start to get tasty.

jeroen84
07-04-2013, 08:52
At the initial levels, it's not unusual to not loose a charater. This is probably intentional, so everyone can play and survive their first missions. As you level up, and encoutner tougher opponents, then you get far more likely to die each quest.

I've had my beginner lvl1 players easily defeat 2x2 Minotaurs. First two Minotaurs arrived in a roomcard, and just after they were defeated a 1 was rolled in the roll-a-one-phase, and another 2 Minotaurs arrived. It was close, but they survived.

I do have a Questing Knight in the party who tanks a lot.. Maybe that's the difference?

Rumbleguts
09-04-2013, 10:42
I've had my beginner lvl1 players easily defeat 2x2 Minotaurs. First two Minotaurs arrived in a roomcard, and just after they were defeated a 1 was rolled in the roll-a-one-phase, and another 2 Minotaurs arrived. It was close, but they survived.

I do have a Questing Knight in the party who tanks a lot.. Maybe that's the difference?

Questing Knight is an absolute brute starting off. With the +2 to fear tests (+3 as soon as he gets a single honor point), 5 toughness, a Str 6 weapon, and a questing favor that can give him a very powerful advantage (auto break pin, +1 on all to hits, or reroll one attack per round?) he is by far the most powerful melee character you can start with. Very little downside, except he has some fairly limited treasure options and no ranged ability.

Purplebeard
10-04-2013, 19:50
Yeah the treasure options - the bret knight is one of only 2 or 3 characters really who could be considered 'tanks' (as the MMO players call them). If his treasure options are limited, then the dwarf (or even the chaos warrior or barbarian) will start to look like better and better alternatives as they level up.

I find that centaurs are horrible at level 1.

jeroen84
11-04-2013, 17:27
I find that centaurs are horrible at level 1.

Where to get good models though? The Forge World ones are pretty expensive..

Daemonslave
11-04-2013, 18:59
Where to get good models though? The Forge World ones are pretty expensive..

If you can still find them on ebay, etc the Rackham has some really nice ones as do Otherworld

Inandantia
13-04-2013, 13:04
There are also some pretty decent conversions out there, marauder cavalry being some of the better ones imho.