PDA

View Full Version : Orc & Goblin 2000 pts list

Bigdak
01-04-2013, 18:50
This is an upgrade from a 1500 pts savage orc / night goblin army list I made a few weeks back. Any ideas on how to make it more competitive ?

Lords: (395 pts)

-Aeshne the Night goblin Warboss : (Duelist) 140 pts
- Ogre Blade
- Talisman of preservation

-Savage orc Great shaman (lvl 4) : 255 pts
- Lucky Shrunken Head

Heroes: (457 pts)

-Bigdak the Savage Orc Big Boss : (General) 79 pts
- Great weapon

-Night Goblin BSB : 109 pts
- Light armor and shield
- The Bad Moon Banner

-Night Goblin Big Boss : 34 pts
- Heavy weapon

-Night Goblin Big Boss : 32 pts
- Additional hand weapon

- Shield

-Night Goblin Big Boss : 86 pts
- Giant Squig
- Spear
- Light armor & Shield

-Night Goblin shaman (lvl 2) : 85 pts

Core Units : (884 pts)

-46 night goblins with spear : Full Command + netters + 2 fanatics : 263 pts

-20 night goblin archers : Musician + 2 fanatics : 120 pts

-5 wolf riders with spear and short bow : 60 pts

-5 wolf riders : 50 pts

-5 squig hoppers : 60 pts

-26 savage orc big'uns with additional weapon : Full Command : 331 pts
- Banner of Eternal Flame

Special and Rare Units : (245 pts)

-5 savage orc boar boyz with additional weapon: Full Command : 135 pts

-1 Snotling Pump Wagon : 45 pts

-1 Mangler Squigs : 65 pts

SimaoSegunda
01-04-2013, 23:52
It's not dissimilar to an army I've used before. Could probably use a Dispel Scroll, but otherwise it's all good.

Bigdak
05-04-2013, 11:31
Maybe I could use some war wachines ? Doom diver / rock lobber . Does anyone think they are really amazing ?

SimaoSegunda
05-04-2013, 12:22
I'm a big fan of Doom Divers, but they tend to work best against heavily armoured units and small, elite armies. They're more accurate than other war machines, but don't infilct as many hits as a lobba. The fact they ignore armour is key, I recently killed 5 Helf Dragon Princes in one shot, and took two against a Bret army recently, averaging kills of about 3 knights per turn.

Fighting Newfoundlander
06-04-2013, 00:22
I think I'd drop a fanatic from each NG unit, and their champion. I'd also think about droping the NG shaman to a lev 1 and giving him a DS. Finally I might either drop a couple of the NG heros (S&S, and 2hw), or spend the 4 points and give'em both great weapons. I know they're cheap, but how much do the other hero's add to the unit? Not sure, you may have had better experiences w/ them. Also, I think the pump wagon is 40 points.

Then, yes! Buy some doom divers or stone throwers. a couple wolf chariots would also be a lot of use in a list like this

Bigdak
13-04-2013, 13:24
Manly this list will battle against Chaos. Therefore I need some armor piercing troops to punch through the armor and I need those fanatics for that. I'll give every night goblin big boss' some great weapons too.

NG shaman lvl 1 with DS is fine for me. The thing with the big horde is that without the NG heroes in it, it just does barely any damage. I played a few games with the BSB, the Duelist and 2 NG Big Boss' in it and it rocked. But I feel it can only get better with more champs in there. I'll maybe drop the Boss with sheild to get 30 pts start for a Doom Diver.

Maybe drop the pump wagon ? Or the Boar Riders ? for those extra points ..

Ratarsed
13-04-2013, 17:50
I don't think Savages can take a magic banner. :(
I like my doom diver but they need high value high armour targets to get the most from them.
I think 3 river trolls would serve you better than the savage boar Boyz. They are always disappointing, to the point of useless for me.

Bigdak
14-04-2013, 09:29
Your right for the Savage Orcs and Magic Banner. But there is still a debate with the magic standard option being a Big Un option or an Regular Orc big'un option. And still nothing in the FAQ.

I have never played boar boyz so I can't say if they are useless but don't you think that 3 river trolls isn't enough. I've always seen RTrolls go by packs of 6.

zielonkak
14-04-2013, 12:04
Boat boyz can be usuful. I like to run six plus a cheap hero in them.

Ratarsed
14-04-2013, 13:21
It seems pretty clear to me Savages don't get magic banners, ordinary or Big'uns, but that ultimately needs deciding with your group. I'd be surprised if a tournament allowed it.

As for savage Orc boar Boyz the trouble is they have a low initiative and only a 5+/6++ save and (on the first round of combat) only have strength 4 attacks at WS3. If you start with 5 most times it seems there are only 2 left when you get to fight and they struggle to kill anything! A savage Orc Big'un on foot costs half as much and is harder to kill and puts out more damage. They become more worth it if you can upgrade them to Big'uns but unless you take Gorbad, you always want your infantry horde to be the Big'uns.

The reason I suggested 3 river trolls is because they cost the same as the Savage Orc boar Boyz. If you are going to spend 135 you are better spending it on anything other than SO boar Boyz IMO.

Bigdak
14-04-2013, 14:20
I think I prefer river trolls anyway but I don't want my list to lack mobility. I'll drop the banner because having read the army book once more, it just doesn't seem that legal. I'll also go river trolls and drop the snotling pump wagon and maybe (if I have no other choice) a NG big boss to purchase a Doom diver.

Thanks for helping out.

PS: Having Gorbad in the army doesn't allow me to upgrade all savage orcs units into big'uns (it only applies to "regular" orcs) and since I'm only playing SO it's just another reason to drop the boar riders.

Bigdak
14-04-2013, 14:34
Here goes the final list:

Lords: (430 pts)

-Aeshne the Night goblin Warboss : (Duelist) 140 pts
- Ogre Blade
- Talisman of preservation

-Savage orc Great shaman (lvl 4) (General) : 290 pts
- Lucky Shrunken Head
- Fencer's Blade

Heroes: (420 pts)

-Bigdak the Savage Orc Big Boss BSB : 149 pts
- Great weapon
- Razor Standard

- Heavy weapon

- Additional hand weapon

- Heavy weapon

-Night Goblin Big Boss : 86 pts
- Giant Squig
- Spear
- Light armor & Shield

-Night Goblin shaman (lvl 2) : 85 pts

Core Units : (871 pts)

-45 night goblins with spear : Full Command + netters + 2 fanatics : 260 pts

-20 night goblin archers : Musician + 2 fanatics : 120 pts

-5 wolf riders with spear and short bow : 60 pts

-Goblin wolf chariot : 50 pts

-5 squig hoppers : 60 pts

-26 savage orc big'uns with additional weapon : Full Command : 321 pts

Special and Rare Units : (280 pts)

-3 River Trolls : 135 pts

-1 Doom Diver Catapult : 80 pts

-1 Mangler Squigs : 65 pts

Total = 2001 pts

Jind_Singh
14-04-2013, 18:20
Personally speaking the Badmoon banner is a waste of points - the NG are 5 wide, 10 deep - so steadfast = stubborn.

WHo cares if missiles are -1 to hit them in shooting?

And a DT test for models in base-to-base contact - again who cares?

PLUS when the unit hits combat he'll die sooner or later with a crappy save - and the army needs a BSB!

I'd either..

1) Grab him a wardsave and great weapon
2) Make the Savage orc Big boss the BSB - he gets a 5++ ward in the unit, give him the razor standard so now the unit has a nice -2 or -3 to saves depending on round of combat

And 100% I'd drop one unit of Wolves for a Wolf Chariot - so much more options available to you during the game as a well placed/used chariot can swing the game

Otherwise a fine list - your main issue will be leadership - but that is always the main issue with OnG armies!!!

Oh - and you should have kept level 2 upgrade on the NG Shaman - there is an increased chance you'll roll the spell that lowers movement/ini by D6 - this is HUGE when facing high Ini armies as with a good dice roll we attack 1st!!

Had my Savages beat up some Warriors of Khorne before by rolling decently on the D6 roll...was gorgeous!

Bigdak
14-04-2013, 19:26
Personally speaking the Badmoon banner is a waste of points - the NG are 5 wide, 10 deep - so steadfast = stubborn.

I know you very much dislike the Badmoon Banner (you've already said it in my previous thread with the 1500 pts Savage Orc/NG army list) and your probably right. But I play my unit in horde so it's more 10 wide 5 deep and therefore not so sure of being steadfast. A such wide frontage is likely to see at least 2 or more units to engage it and doesn't make the DT epicly crapy as you say it is (But I have to agree that you can't really rely on those 1's). Once I kind of lucked into wounding a nasty vampire.

Now I can't have these guys flee for any reason and I really like the idea of the SO BSB. Can I have my BSB be also my general ?

So my options are:
1) 5 wide / 10 deep ==> i take the SO BSB for the armor piercing which will be needed against chaos and have some extra points
2) 10 wide/ 5 deep (as I prefer) ==> i take NG BSB - Crown of command / Enchanted shield and hand weapon but he's still kind of weak
3) 10 wide/ 5 deep ==> i still take the SO BSB and give Crown of Command / Enchanted shield to a NG Big boss with shield and light armor
What option would you go with ?

Otherwise I take notes for the Shaman and the chariot.

Bigdak
19-04-2013, 16:07
I updated the list - see above for it's final modifications.

I will only be able to use it in a month or so. I'll leave a comment to say how it went.

Bigdak
04-05-2013, 19:11
So today I have had the joy of seeing my horde kick some bad ass list of Chaos Warriors with 2 Chimeras, the unstoppable BSB with the 3+ WS (with a reroll for 1's) and the Daemon prince of Slannesh with wings with some other less scary units.

So the Mangler Squig who OS the daemon prince was kind a good thing. The heroes in the NG horde did no less than 7 out of 8 wounds on both Chimeras. I really recommend these guys.
Otherwise all units were kind of usefull except for the 5 wolf riders and the Trolls that I didn't play that well. I feel like I should add more warmachines. A nice Rock Lobber could be usefull to kill big targets such as Chimeras / Terrorgheist / Hydras etc ...
I'm really not sure if I'll keep the trolls. if anyone reads this , how would you use trolls ? As redirection units ?

So that's it for the feedback.