PDA

View Full Version : BSB Equipment

nickdahkwik
02-04-2013, 15:19
What are the rules for BSB i know the main if he has a magic banner then he can have no other magic items and if he takes a "normal" standard(non-magical) then he is allotted to take magic items...my question is in regards to him using a Great weapon...say like High Elves and has ASF...is this possible?

My gaming group seems to think it is viable and i have no problem with it but others are wondering what is the correct ruling?

Ex: we thought this: Black orcs Equipped with G.Weaps have a BSB that has a non-magical banner carrying a G.weap is it assumed that he sticks the banner in the ground for the CC phase and fights...I could understand this...however if the rules state something like can only choose equipment that is normally equipped with them like armr,shield. hand weap. need a ruling or ideas on this one i thought it was a great question never came up before in like the 6 years of gaming!!! until now.
BRB doesn't really say anything about it other than the above part i spoke of.Unless i missed something.Thanks.

theunwantedbeing
02-04-2013, 15:29
There is no "correct ruling".

Check the army book for the bsb of whatever army you are wanting to make.
Does it impose limitations?
If not, then there are no limitations (beyond not being allowed magical armour if you haven't got any normal armour, or not being allowed arcane items if you aren't a mage, etc).
Is so, then the limitations are what are listed.

Lord Inquisitor
02-04-2013, 16:01
As unwanted being said.

To give a bit more background as to why there is variation - in older editions, a BSB was typically required to use one hand to hold the flag so was not permitted to take a shield or two handed weapon. At some point the design decision was made to allow BSBs to use both hands and hold the standard in their teeth or something, from that point on the army books didn't have the restriction. To make things a little more confusing, after 8th edition came out some of the older books had errata to delete the restrictions from their BSB, but not all.

So check your book under the BSB upgrade to see if there are any restrictions. (All 8th ed books don't have restrictions on mundane gear.) If there are restrictions, check the errata to see if they still apply.

Artinam
02-04-2013, 16:49
Basicly, everyone except Bretonnia, Dwarves and Wood Elfs have the new BSB rules.
This means those three do not have acces to mundane weapons outside mounts. They are however not restricted in magical weapons/shields to an extent.
Dwarves are stuck with a shieldless BSB as they upgrade their mundane weapons/armour to runic gear meaning no runic shield or runic Great Weapon.
Wood Elfs got the worst as their FAQ restricts their BSB from taking a magical shield.
Bretonnia can take any magical weapon, armour or shield.

nickdahkwik
04-04-2013, 22:48
I think that they should make it a [Requires 2 hands] or
they do allow every other normal upgrade to a unit banner to just br equipped w/unit types equipment .
So, just allow them shield for shooting only and hand weapon?
Sounds like some logical house rules could be coming into affect.

Makaber
04-04-2013, 23:50
I think that they should make it a [Requires 2 hands] or
they do allow every other normal upgrade to a unit banner to just br equipped w/unit types equipment .
So, just allow them shield for shooting only and hand weapon?
Sounds like some logical house rules could be coming into affect.

Okay, first of all, that took me five attempts to read.

In a perfect world, using one hand to hold the banner would make perfect sense. However, it made Battle Standard Bearers extremely fragile to the point where they were rarely taken at all (especially if you'd like them to have a magic banner). I think allowing them a normal selection of wargear goes a long way in making them an attractive choice, because it actually allows them to function as a character, and not only some kind of esoteric unit upgrade.

Orchid
05-04-2013, 02:56
Also to note The Wood Elf BSB actually loses his only weapon (longbow). That always irked me to death.