PDA

View Full Version : Lizardmen vs Dwarves 2400 Points

Jwk47
04-04-2013, 22:17
Hello All, I've just put up a new battle report using my Lizards against a combat orientated Dwarf Army. To be fair it wasn't a very even game but it could still show a few lessons for aspiring dwarf generals.

http://littlewaaagh.blogspot.co.nz/2013/04/lizardmen-vs-dwarves-2400-points.html

Thanks for reading and any input is welcome.

Cheers. Jeff

SteveW
04-04-2013, 22:51
He had no lords? In my combat Dwarf list I use a lord on shieldbearers. Also, did you tailor your list just to fight him?

Jwk47
04-04-2013, 23:08
I'm not sure if it was a Runelord of a Runesmith. The point is a combat dwarf will never get into combat against Lizards.

No I did not tailor my list just to fight him or else I would have dropped Becalming Cogitation, Dispel Scroll and not taken Lore of Metal. That is my intended 2400 point tournament list using the local comp.

Methios
05-04-2013, 11:44
Do you ever lose? :)

Jwk47
05-04-2013, 19:07
Do you ever lose? :)

To be honest, not very often in my local scene, but it's pretty small (the scene) and I probably take the game the most seriously so it's not a matter of how great I am or anything like that. I'm trying to recruit new players and running a few Fantasy events this year to try and breathe some life back into the scene. Ideally I'd lose a lot more than I am in my practice games so that I could more easily see mistakes I'm making etc. and become a better player. It's a fine line between wanting to tone my armies way down for the local scene and wanting to practice with my tournament armies.

I'm heading off to the big smoke today to get some games in and hopefully they are a more close run thing.

I lose plenty at tournaments though. I'm 12-6 I think.

BurkWolf
05-04-2013, 21:25
OP's list is a tournament one, so he will almost always beat, if not crush, his normal listed opponents. At least that is what I have gathered from the majority of his batreps. What you will not do, Jwk47, is create any kind of growth among your new players by crushing out the spark of their enthusiasm. In the case of practicing your tourney list or making a noob friendly one, the line is not fine at all. That line is in fact considerable in both length and width. If you keep burning down the rookiees obviously no one will want to play Warhammer. You must be agreeing to these shenanigans beforehand, or at least buying them a case of beer afterwards. I see no reason why anyone would want to play you otherwise, if you ram that cheddar cheesey list down their unsuspecting throats every game.

Jwk47
06-04-2013, 04:53
Hi Burkwolf, You are correct on the mismatch in lists. However the game was played so that we could both prepare lists for the same tournament in 3 weeks. I asked which army he would like me to use and he asked for the lizardmen.

As for burning rookies, every single one of my battle reports is against people who have been playing longer than myself. I do not make battle reports for smaller intro games as I don't find them interesting. After all of my games my opponents and I (we are all good friends) discuss lists and alternative methods of play that would perhaps get better results. At the end of the day though you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink (or stop playing Dwarves or Beastmen.) When I do play rookies, I take very friendly lists that are designed to show how different rules works and ideally allow for close games. Against the other members in my club though I take my tournament army and don't pull punches while encouraging them to do the same, we are all slowly getting better though this. I've brought up pretty much every concern you've listed with my regular opponents in the friendliest way possible and there are no isssues. So to sum it up, everything is good-natured, people are getting out of it what they're after, and we all have a beer after.

I'm very conscious of the fact it could appear I'm just writing up battle reports on my blog to boost my own ego. This isn't the case and I realise there's no real "glory" or "props" for most of my wins and have seriously considered stopping posting battle reports if games aren't close. The reason I've decided to keep putting them up is that I think they are still useful for new players to read about how different armies work (reading batreps is largely how I learned), I enjoy writing them and at the end of the day I know I'm not doing it to be a dick.

As for the lists or styles of play I use being cheesy or shenanigans - in my national tournament scene my lists/playstyle are considered hard but acceptable. To each their own.

Thanks for the reply, all your points are fair, and if you have any suggestions of how to better bring up the standard of play in my group I'd be very keen to hear them, as you you've correctly identified I don't get a lot out of some of these match-ups in terms of self improvement.

Cheers. Jeff

Shadow Lord
08-04-2013, 12:21
I've read most of your batreps on Warseer and I must say that, allthough I don't like the Skink Cloud armies, you're always a gracious winner. You never gloat or make fun of your opponents. You play your battles to the best of your possibilities and hope to learn from each one (be it win or loss). Just keep posting your batreps and I wish you the best of luck in your future tournaments!