PDA

View Full Version : Skill Swallower question

selecta
05-04-2013, 07:40
if your daemon gets Skill Swallower. Does that mean if you lost a wound before killing the character then if you chose to increase the number of wounds does that mean you have 5 wound left instead 4 for example?

Does unit champions count as characters?

Kalandros
05-04-2013, 08:01
Yes for the wounds

Champions are NOT characters.

Saldiven
05-04-2013, 14:08
if your daemon gets Skill Swallower. Does that mean if you lost a wound before killing the character then if you chose to increase the number of wounds does that mean you have 5 wound left instead 4 for example?

Don't think of it as "how many wounds you have left?" Think of it as "how many wounds have I taken?"

If your GD starts the game as a 5 wound model and has taken 2 wounds, then he can take 3 more before he is removed as a casualty. If that same GD kills the enemy's BSB, he can choose to increase his Wounds characteristic by 1. This results in the GD being a 6 wound model who has still only taken 2 wounds, and therefore would need to suffer 4 more wounds before being removed.

This is significant for when healing effects and the like come into play.

yeknoMehT
05-04-2013, 16:45
I'm in two minds about this gift. On a lord of change with the wand of whimsy I can see it sometimes resulting in a very scary GD. Less good on a herald, but might be good if you're going up against goblins, or some other army with lots of cheap heroes.
I'm not sure if I'd even go for wounds with it either. Maybe even worth getting the Ld first.
Combine it with the +2T exalted gift on a GUO and you could have a T10 GD without too much trouble. Won't happen often though (and bound to get splattered by a lucky cannon ball right after...)

Saldiven
05-04-2013, 18:31
I used Skill Swallower on my Bloodthirster in a game against Empire. He had a unit with three characters in it (BSB, Priest-guy, and a Witch Hunter-guy). I charged the 'Thirster into the unit and completely flubbed my attack and Thunderstomp rolls. If it hadn't been for the three characters and Skill Swallower, the 'Thirster would have died and cost me the game. As it was, I eeked out a narrow victory because at game end, the 'Thirster had killed all three characters, putting all three increases into wounds; he ended the game being an eight wound model who had taken seven wounds.

yeknoMehT
05-04-2013, 19:28
Sounds like good use of the gift to me - if you'd had more luck and taken out characters quicker, then extra attacks, higher T or Ld might have been good too (or whatever else seemed necessary).It would be really good to combine the gift with the greater gift that heals wounds... Very unlikely to get both though!

Saldiven
05-04-2013, 19:57
Sounds like good use of the gift to me - if you'd had more luck and taken out characters quicker, then extra attacks, higher T or Ld might have been good too (or whatever else seemed necessary).It would be really good to combine the gift with the greater gift that heals wounds... Very unlikely to get both though!

Absolutely. On the charge, I split my attacks between two characters intending to kill then and add more attacks, just to chrew through the remaining unit faster. Unfortunately, out of the six hits (re-rolling misses due to the ASF gift), I managed to roll five ones to wound. Only a lucky five kills from Thunderstomp allowed me to win the round of combat, but he stuck around. It took three turns to finally run off the unit, but they kept managing to get wounds on me and I kept failing saves. So, I was kind of forced to keep opting to take Wounds from Skill Swallower in fear of losing a 500 point unit.

Kalandros
05-04-2013, 22:53
3 empire characters and none that swapped out the stats in a challenge? Hah.

Saldiven
05-04-2013, 23:42
3 empire characters and none that swapped out the stats in a challenge? Hah.

Apparently, his wizard had the speculum, and he was in a different unit. His army actually had five characters in it; that's why I decided to keep the Skill Swallower rather than swap it for a magic weapon when I got it for my first roll on the Lesser Gift table.