PDA

View Full Version : Pursue unit fleeing from charge

Trunks
06-04-2013, 20:38
I'm just getting back into the game after a long break (6th edition was last I played), so its taking a bit of time to get back into all the little nuances of the rules.

I was playing a big game Thursday and the following situation came up:

My team mate was playing ogres and had these monstrous cavalry guys (unsure of their name). He declared a charge on a unit of skinks who were screening a unit of temple guard with a Slaan.

The skinks elect to flee as their reaction. The Ogres try to run them down. The skinks flee through the temple guard making it so the Ogres instead charge into the Temple Guard.

If the Ogres roll high enough to beat the skinks fleeing distance, do they run them down despite the skinks fleeing through the temple guard?

I couldn't find a section of the rulebook covering the situation (I'm sure it's something simple I missed).

We let the skinks get away while the Ogres fought the Temple Guard that turn, but weren't certain that this should be the case.

Iraf
06-04-2013, 20:48
You would measure to the skinks final location. If you could roll that far, and complete the charge, the skinks would be destroyed.
When the skinks fled the ogre unit had the opportunity to attempt a redirect charge onto the Saurus by passing a LD test.
That is the only way to get into combat with the saurus.

Trunks
06-04-2013, 21:07
Great, thank you very much.

So this means the ogres either cut down the fleeing skinks, or engage the temple guard in combat, but not both in the same move. The Ogres had to stop 1" away from the temple guard since they pursued the skinks.

Kalandros
07-04-2013, 01:07
If the Ogres rolled high enough but it brought them into contact with something else first, they cannot have caught the skinks - they have to redirect charge or fail charge even if they roll high enough.
When charging a fleeing opponent, you have to physically catch them, not compare distances.

Iraf
07-04-2013, 01:22
Just to guarantee that there is no confusion Kalandros, you are unable to redirect after rolling dice for distance.
I don't think you meant that possible interpretation, just verifying.

Trunks
07-04-2013, 01:41
Makes total sense, thanks.