PDA

View Full Version : Tannhauser...

BigbyWolf
12-04-2013, 10:12
So, I bit the bullet and bought a copy of this today. Looks interesting, and as a FFG seems to be pretty well supported.

Does anyone have any experience with it?

Scaryscarymushroom
12-04-2013, 16:37
I played it once and loved it.

IMO the Germans are better than the Americans. One of their characters is really fast, and lethal. She takes better advantage of the LoS/movement system than any of the American characters. (Or, I could have just lost because I was a n00b.)

IIRC, it says it supports up to ten players. It should say it supports two or ten players. Which, as a practical matter, means it's a two player game. :shifty:

Sadly this means that I choose between playing it and playing tabletop games. And I already play tabletop games only a few times a year.

BigbyWolf
15-04-2013, 12:13
Well, turns out I'm not getting it...yet!

Ordered a second hand copy on Amazon as it was a pretty decent saving, only for it to turn out that it was the previous edition and I'd have to get the updated rulebook separately. I'd rather have a proper book to hand, and not a PDF one so ended up cancelling the order. Disappointing, as it looked quite fun, I guess I'll just wait till next month and get a proper copy.

MasterDecoy
15-04-2013, 13:01
My LGS actually refuses to stock it (or even order it especially for me) on the count that when he played it, he had such a bad time, He was convinced there was absolutely no redeeming features at all, He seemed to think the Germans where way OP in almost every way and the Americans just didn't stand a chance, coupled with the fact that there are many similar games out there that just "do it better".

So that's my experience with the game (Or lack there of), personally I think Id still give it a go if ever given the chance, but it does sit with me a bit, because I trust his judgment, most of the time.

Quicky
01-12-2013, 21:19
I have a copy and really like it. Playing the different factions you have to play in different ways. the Americans are best to sneak round covering each other You can set up overwatch and lines of fire The Germans have better individual characters but it can also be a weakness with a couple of well placed grenades thrown at them. It is like all games you have to work out how to play the teams properly. The other add ons you can get look interesting to. I have some figures for the 'russians' but not the base boards but to be honest you can use whatever floorplans you like and make them work with one inch templates as well. Played a few games using Cthulu boards and spacehulk style as well.

BulldogUK
13-12-2013, 06:31
I recommend it too, I have the main game plus every expansion and our little gaming group always really enjoy it. There are a lot of user created expansion characters, etc available too. I agree with Quicky, each faction plays differently, whats the point of having different units if they are the bloody same, the shop owner is talking out of his ******* and it seems to be a weird policy not to sell a game just because he doesn't know how to play!