PDA

View Full Version : The Catacombs of Naar - INQ terrain for GD 06

precinctomega
26-05-2006, 15:17
Well, here's a pretty challenge for me.

I committed myself a while back to running a participation game of Inquisitor at Conflict North (Bolton, UK) on 4 Jun 06. However, I've not yet made the board I intend to use.

As it happens, my employers have decided that I have to work that weekend (don't join the Army, folks - it's ****), so unless I wriggle out of it between now and then that whole plan is down the Swanee. However, it's good to have a definite objective and I work best under pressure (fortunate in my line of work).

So I thought I'd start a daily 'blog of my progress. Actually, that's a little ironic, because beside what you'll see today, I'm not going to do anything more to this board until next Tuesday, so I've got a whole four days (bearing in mind that I'll have a maximum of two hours a day - so that's a whole 8 hours) to finish this damn thing. Yikes!

Right, the plan: the Catacombs of Naar are the private fortress and holding facility of Lady Inquisitor Kang-Ju Ki of the Ordo Xenos. They run for hundreds of miles through the Naar asteroid, but this small section lies in a little-used part of the Catacombs dedicated almost exclusively to interrogation. So a few areas will be ordely and well-kept, but most will be run-down and deserted.

I was stumped for what to use to build the catacombs. Obviously, what I really wanted was some wonderful Pink Stuff or big sheets of polystyrene that so many people seem to use for big terrain projects on this board. But could I find the stuff? Could I, hell. Well, not for less than 50 for what I wanted. If any Warseers in the UK can tell me a good, cheap source you'll have my eternal gratitude. So instead I got some cushion foam, cut to order, my a nice chap on eBay. Two sheets, 24"x48", plus a load of off-cuts came to a very reasonable 40 including P&P - more than I had hoped to spend, of course, but beggars can't be choosers!

I then acquired two sheets of suitably sized hardboard thanks to York Freecycle.

Put this lot together along with some glue (I've used plain PVA to start with, but before I start painting, I'll use the hot-glue gun to seal the edges) and a permanent marker and this was the result:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/precinctomega/Inquisitor/Games%20Day%2006/BoardLayout.jpg

Like I said, there won't be any updates until Tuesday, but stay tuned! Feel free to post suggestions, questions and encouragement in the meantime - however, suggestions along the lines of "you should've done it like this" will be roundly ignored.

R.

HPD_Andy
26-05-2006, 21:52
Cool idea hope you can see it through. Keep us posted as you progress.

pobolycwm
26-05-2006, 22:12
you should have done it like this
gone awol for a few weeks then suffered the quinsequonces when you got back :D

looking into starting inquisitor myself so will be watching this one

Dead orc
26-05-2006, 22:33
Would have been nice to see at that conflict. I guess i'll have to wait longer. I like the layout aswell dude.

Easy E
27-05-2006, 00:22
As for getting cheap Pink Stuff. Go to a nearby construction site/DYI store and offer them coffee/cash for their off cuts. In my neck of the woods there is usually somebidy using it at all times.

If you aren't so law-abiding or have no cash/coffee you can dumpster dive it later that night. However, this is highly discouraged.

It's a little late for this project, but it might be handy in the future.

precinctomega
27-05-2006, 06:38
Go to a nearby construction site/DYI store and offer them coffee/cash for their off cuts

You'd think it would be that simple, wouldn't you? However, in the UK neither B&Q nor Homebase sell the stuff, I have no builder's merchants within easy reach and there is a distinct lack of building sites nearby, despite my living near a relatively major city.

R.

pobolycwm
27-05-2006, 07:13
larger jewson stores sell it
and i am sure travis perkins sells it ( i had 15 sheets from them 5 years ago for a model railway layout)

noneedforaname
27-05-2006, 16:16
ring GW bolton i think they might have the details of a supplier in the back of there diary.

Deadleyheadley
27-05-2006, 17:48
You'd think it would be that simple, wouldn't you? However, in the UK neither B&Q nor Homebase sell the stuff, I have no builder's merchants within easy reach and there is a distinct lack of building sites nearby, despite my living near a relatively major city.

R.
Ive been trying to find some local to me but still no joy ,I got some off ebay but i need bigger sheets ,Ive been told Wicks stock it ,Im going on my next day off to see if they do sell if they do i will post a reply :)

||-MARKO-||
27-05-2006, 18:50

R.

try going to a local industrial park or something similair, or ask around at your local GW.

Easy E
03-06-2006, 02:37
Any progress? It's past tuesday.

precinctomega
23-09-2006, 19:38
Well, many moons have passed. I never made it to Conflict North, sadly, due to last minute work commitments (I spent the day standing in a car park - for this, I am paid £36k p.a.!?).

However, I have finally finished the table in time for Games Day UK. Come and say hi.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/precinctomega/Inquisitor/Games%20Day%2006/Picture084.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/precinctomega/Inquisitor/Games%20Day%2006/Picture083.jpg

More pics once the day has been and gone. Possibly.

R.

Rictus
23-09-2006, 21:02
I look forward to seeing it in the flesh tomorrow...seeing the gaming boards and the terrain produced for them is one of the best reasons to go to Games Day, there aren't many Inquistor scale boards around (not that i've seen anyway) so I will definately be having a look at this one.