PDA

View Full Version : Are we really supposed to get objective table loot at lv1?

snottlebocket
04-05-2013, 09:20
So yesterday we played our first game where we decided to keep our characters afterwards. We were all lv1's so most of it was pretty straight forward. Fairly hard fight but towards the end we were so packed with found healing items that the objective room wasn't especially troublesome (1 minotaur, some orcs, no problem)

Anyway afterwards we rolled for objective room loot and that's were things got odd. Frost blade, Armor of Takaan and a few other items pretty much meant that some of us doubled our toughness or were able to one shot the minotaur that terrified us last game.

None of us had enough gold to level up so the next dungeon was still lv1 except this time monsters just bounced off us, d6 + strength 3 just isn't very scary when the armor of Tarkaan gives you a base toughness of 9. Most creatures couldn't get past our doubled defenses and by the time the minotaurs showed up we brought out the frost blades and hydra swords.

Just a single objective room treasure each turned the game from a challenge into a breeze. A breeze that ends in even more objective room treasure. Did we do something wrong?

Kamenya
04-05-2013, 11:00
That does sound odd. When during the game did you pick up treasures, what monster table were you using and what table did you roll on for objective loot.

yabbadabba
04-05-2013, 11:06
This is why it's good to have a discussion about these things, or a GM. If you are not careful WHQ can throw up some anomalies.

snottlebocket
04-05-2013, 11:54
After finishing the objective room everyone got one roll on the objective room table from the rpg book. It yielded things like frost and hydra blades and very good armors.

Next game we used the lv1 monster table from the rpg book but those could barely touch us. Leading to another easy loot of objective table items

Inquisitor Kallus
04-05-2013, 12:35
From my memory (haven't played it for years) you only get one objective room treasure per quest

S_A_T_S
04-05-2013, 15:09
I had a very similar problem when I helped intro some n00bs to WHQ. Our GM decided to have the one per adventurer as reward, while I had been playing with another group with just a single objective treasure per quest. I think as long as you have a group who are interested and you know you are going to get quite a few games in, you can just have 1 reward per dungeon to keep the difficulty up and make group dynamics more important (the leader has to choose who to give the treasure to, and will have to weigh up most benefit with who already has obj. treasure) but if they are new to rpgs or aren't going to meet that often, it might be good to dish out the obj. treasures as an incentive to come back to the table ("Don't you wanna try out that awesome sword you got last time?").

I'm part way through a loooooooooong D&D campaign (long because it's about 1-2 months between games) and I managed to guide a 1st time player to a point where, as we left it, we were running back through the dungeon to use 'Animal Friendship' on a drow riding lizard we'd passed earlier so the new player's ranger can romp through the rest of the dungeon on a ****-off massive lizard. Great incentive to come back and to model an appropriate mount!

snottlebocket
04-05-2013, 22:19
From my memory (haven't played it for years) you only get one objective room treasure per quest

Most pages do mention one treasure per event. RPG book page 72 however specifically states "...you should instead roll a d66 on the following table for each surviving warrior" regarding objective room treasure.

It seems very excessive though. Armour of Taakan for instance provides heavy armor and a warhelm for a total of +5 toughness and a retaliation effect. Just heavy armor and a warhelm carries a 5000 gold price tag if bought in shops. The rending sword causes an extra 2d6 wounds with a chance of ignoring a few points of armor.

More than doubling your toughness or tripling your attack power after just one adventure seems very powerful. Considering there is only mundane equipment, normal treasure and objective room treasure, it feels like you already max out on equipment during your first two or three battle levels. You get top level gear right from the first objective room you conquer.

EldritchGamer
05-05-2013, 09:58
We always used the cards for Battle Level 1 (and maybe even BL2), they always seemed more balanced at the lower levels. Remember to only take an Objective Room Treasure when the Adventure specifically mentions Treasure as a reward, sometimes you just get Gold, or your memories back or whatever.

Plus, using the cards makes the game 'flow' better as well, so we tend to use them over rolling on tables whenever we can.

snottlebocket
05-05-2013, 12:55
We always used the cards for Battle Level 1 (and maybe even BL2), they always seemed more balanced at the lower levels. Remember to only take an Objective Room Treasure when the Adventure specifically mentions Treasure as a reward, sometimes you just get Gold, or your memories back or whatever.

Plus, using the cards makes the game 'flow' better as well, so we tend to use them over rolling on tables whenever we can.

Yeah, I was thinking on house ruling it to a normal treasure each before moving up to 3 normal treasures and 1 objective treasure until the game get's harder before resorting to the mentioned objective treasures each.

bobthebobish
05-05-2013, 18:34
I do believe they intended to give a single objective room treasure for each surviving warrior. That said a single one for the party might not be a bad idea if you are playing with just the vanilla rules. First of all there are only 36 objective treasure If I recall and gaining duplicates is very common. Secondly past level one the game starts to get progressively easier and only gaining one per adventure might actually help balance the vanilla rules.

As a shameless plug alternatively you could just use my rule book in the sig below with a new treasure table for the old world and lustria and tons of re-balances. Whatever you do though I do recommend modifying the game from its vanilla rules as GW were not keen on play testing the game much beyond BL 1 dungeon 1 from what I have encountered.

snottlebocket
05-05-2013, 19:00
I do believe they intended to give a single objective room treasure for each surviving warrior. That said a single one for the party might not be a bad idea if you are playing with just the vanilla rules. First of all there are only 36 objective treasure If I recall and gaining duplicates is very common. Secondly past level one the game starts to get progressively easier and only gaining one per adventure might actually help balance the vanilla rules.

As a shameless plug alternatively you could just use my rule book in the sig below with a new treasure table for the old world and lustria and tons of re-balances. Whatever you do though I do recommend modifying the game from its vanilla rules as GW were not keen on play testing the game much beyond BL 1 dungeon 1 from what I have encountered.

Yeah, we've been making up house rules as we go along. We start a lv1 party with d3 bandages each because nobody is looking for character wipes.

Along the same lines I play GM a little during travel and town hazards for instance. I give people a choice during events where the description simply states their warrior already did something. Ie. you can drink the witche's potion, might be positive, might be negative, you don't have to.

Frogczar
06-05-2013, 12:55
Our houserule on this (because the book is not particularly clear on Objective Room Treasure) is to have each person take one treasure card and then one Objective Room treasure is drawn for the entire party. The lantern-holder then decides who gets the single piece of Objective Room Treasure.

BigRob
07-05-2013, 22:53
Really, our games of Quest were totally brutal and the warriors needed this kind of kit to stay ahead of the game. A lot of Objective room weapons are "One use per Adventure" and there are many fun things to splatter warriors brains across the deck.

For example, Magic. Until the wizard learns Dispell, you will live in fear of high level magic users.

Maybe you do find level 1 and 2 are easy with it, might even build you a nice false sense of security. Want the equaliser? Warpfire Throwers that disable magic items baby!

Or, failing that, tool up that bunch of level 10 heroes and watch them just annoy the crap out of the bloodthirster/vermin lord/Emperor Dragon before they die horrifically. WHQ is a tough game to play, no matter how many are in the party. A couple of the treasures seem powerful now, they will not later :) Except a pair of the gauntlets, they rock!

S_A_T_S
08-05-2013, 22:08
Want the equaliser? Warpfire Throwers that disable magic items baby!

Heh, I GM'd a skaven themed dungeon once and included plenty of these for exactly the purpose you suggest - neutralise the warriors gear. The minute I put one on the table, the players said "Cool, never faced a warpfire thrower before. What does it do?", read the rules for them, then made sure to annihilate, with extreme prejudice, every single one I placed, as quickly as possible. I think I got to fire one, and it didn't do anything...

Necanthrope
10-05-2013, 07:32
I've been playing Quest a lot lately. So, unless I've made a mistake you only get objective room treasure if it grants a treasure card as part of the rewards for completing a quest. You can also get one by completing a monster event inside an objective room.

snottlebocket
10-05-2013, 08:37
I've been playing Quest a lot lately. So, unless I've made a mistake you only get objective room treasure if it grants a treasure card as part of the rewards for completing a quest. You can also get one by completing a monster event inside an objective room.

You're probably right. I got confused by the description for the objective table loot in the rpg book that says each warrior get's a treasure. Still some quests like hell's gate reward each warrior with treasure + a monster event + potential further monster events. That adventure results in at least 5 objective room treasures, potentially more.

Necanthrope
10-05-2013, 12:30
Yeah, there are some loopholes you can exploit in Quest to get extra loot. Such as staying in an objective room without completing a quest hoping for more monsters to show up, so you can grab another objective room treasure or two. My opinion of such low practices is that if you have time enough to waste doing that, why not simply have some fun and actually play the game itself!

Often every warrior will get an objective treasure when they are given as quest rewards. The leader decides who gets them after monster events as usual though, so it is crucial to keep track of how many treasures each warrior has received.

snottlebocket
10-05-2013, 15:17
Yeah, there are some loopholes you can exploit in Quest to get extra loot. Such as staying in an objective room without completing a quest hoping for more monsters to show up, so you can grab another objective room treasure or two. My opinion of such low practices is that if you have time enough to waste doing that, why not simply have some fun and actually play the game itself!

Often every warrior will get an objective treasure when they are given as quest rewards. The leader decides who gets them after monster events as usual though, so it is crucial to keep track of how many treasures each warrior has received.

We pretty much did away with the leader system to be honest. We do have a lantern bearer because it affects exploration and formation but we don't let the leader dish out loot because it seemed like an easy recipe for dissatisfaction with no upside. So we play it pretty much like any mmo. The treasure is placed openly on the table and we do a need, want, greed round. If we all agree someone needs it, they get it. If more than one person wants it, we roll for it. If it comes down to greed, the poorest player gets it.

Next time we'll probably just share out gold rewards for monsters equally between everyone who helped kill the monster. At higher levels it makes little sense that only the guy who struck the killing blow gets the payout.

Another random question while we're at it. Can you move diagonally between two figures? Ie. if there's someone to your right and someone above you. Can you move diagonally to your top right? I couldn't find any reason to prevent you from doing so in the rules. They specifically only mention obstacles from preventing you. But one of the expansion characters from the magazines has the explicit ability to do so, implying that you normally can't.

Necanthrope
10-05-2013, 19:43
Have a look in your rulebook for "blocked diagonals" you can't do it. If you want to move diagonally, you need clear squares in between.
In my groups we do away with this rule when there are no monsters on the boards, as we assume the warriors will make room for one another, but we enforce it strictly in combat where there is no time for such awkward movement.

snottlebocket
11-05-2013, 11:53
Have a look in your rulebook for "blocked diagonals" you can't do it. If you want to move diagonally, you need clear squares in between.
In my groups we do away with this rule when there are no monsters on the boards, as we assume the warriors will make room for one another, but we enforce it strictly in combat where there is no time for such awkward movement.

I could only find an example where they explicitly stated walls and obstacles to be the exception to blocking diagonal movement.

I couldn't find a clear definition of obstacle though. In the adventure book I noticed they were placing models on squares that we always counted as impassible.

The fountain in the fountain of light objective room for instance looks massive. We assumed it was there to create choke points and change up formation strategies a bit. In the adventure book diagrams they're just plunking models right on top of the fountain though.

Necanthrope
11-05-2013, 13:11
On a double check I found that you're quite right! It is only walls that will block a diagonal. I think I will keep usuing ourversion of blocked diagonals though, as it makes formations and combat movement rather more interesting.

snottlebocket
11-05-2013, 14:30
On a double check I found that you're quite right! It is only walls that will block a diagonal. I think I will keep usuing ourversion of blocked diagonals though, as it makes formations and combat movement rather more interesting.

Well I got confused when the rules for the assassin in one of the deathblow magazines explicitly stated he was allowed to move diagonally between models as if it was something special. But as far as I can tell most of the deathblow stuff is fan made.

Pancakey
24-07-2013, 01:30
Remember to only take an Objective Room Treasure when the Adventure specifically mentions Treasure as a reward, sometimes you just get Gold, or your memories back

This.

Our current campaign has had 4 or 5 games and we haven't seen an objective room treasure yet. They are supposed to be extremely rare.

Our last group got to level 5 , and we had maybe 4 objective room treasures! One of them was actually found by the halfling thief in the city!