PDA

View Full Version : Cure for bad sportsmanship?

jesters89
10-06-2005, 06:44
Okay... I have some thoughts bouncing around in my head with no real idea as to how to articulate them. Im going to start writing and get some ideas out here and you guys comment if possible:

Do you have a good buddy that also plays warhammer, but is a pretty crappy sport? The two of you can be having the greatest time, then you play a game of warhammer and you win and the rest of the day is shot because your pal is put in a pissy mood. If so, have you devised any ways to lighten to mood or make the games more enjoyable without resorting to throwing games?

Also, with that in mind, do you have methods you use to keep the game light hearted for yourself? I know some people simply arent competitive so losing is no big deal at all. I really dont have much problem with losing... typically, I get a big kick out of imaging what the various events of the game would look like if it were a movie.

For instance, somehow yesterday my regular old junior officer in my command platoon put down a swooping hawk exarch with web of skulls and sustained assault. The model is the very rigid looking cadian officer with his sword tucked close against his torso. The unit was dug in in a fortified bunker and the hawk unit charged in. I mean, while based on unit stats, the hawk should have won, Id imagine the officer responded the way he would in any background stories for the imperial guard: a vicious xeno-scum swoops in and throws the cadian foot sloggers into disaray and the officer takes a moment to stop bellowing orders, turns, stabs the bird through the chest, wipes his blade casually, then resumes his rigid stature and starts yelling orders again as if nothing had happened.

Darkness
10-06-2005, 07:17
The way I tend to lighten the atmosphere is by simply having a laugh during the game. If something goes bizarrely wrong during the game, I'll laugh about it, especially if it happens to my army. Just generally communicating with the other player rather than just playing the game and nothing else seems to work.

I've played games against players (in tournaments) who haven't said a word other than if I ask them a question about a rule or one of their units, and that makes the games very boring and depressing - something I really would prefer not to be doing. When I'm playing games I make the effort to make it enjoyable, because to be completely honest, I do have quite a high win rate (I make tournament armies... heh :D), so in order to make people not get pissed off with playing me, I laugh at myself when something goes wrong, and generally have a chat with the other player. That way it gives a more relaxed atmosphere, and whoever wins doesn't matter in the end.

Rövhalt
10-06-2005, 07:31
For instance, somehow yesterday my regular old junior officer in my command platoon put down a swooping hawk exarch with web of skulls and sustained assault. The model is the very rigid looking cadian officer with his sword tucked close against his torso. The unit was dug in in a fortified bunker and the hawk unit charged in. I mean, while based on unit stats, the hawk should have won, Id imagine the officer responded the way he would in any background stories for the imperial guard: a vicious xeno-scum swoops in and throws the cadian foot sloggers into disaray and the officer takes a moment to stop bellowing orders, turns, stabs the bird through the chest, wipes his blade casually, then resumes his rigid stature and starts yelling orders again as if nothing had happened.

I take it we have the same view on the guard... They should really make a movie about the Empire.

Hell's Angel
10-06-2005, 07:53
I had a friend that was a bad sport while he was winning as well. If I managed to kill a unit of his during the game he would lose it (regarless of the overall outcome.) The worst experiance came during a regional tourny (last edition) when we were playing for 1st and 2nd place. My Sorcerer Lord was torn apart on turn one while attempting to generate power cardsl (I rolled a one.) The rest of the game was hard for me because I effectively lost any sure way to draw out his fanatics. So I managed to manipulate his units using my Cav so that his fanatics were popping out and hittting terrain. He rolled the scatter dice and insisted that his fanatic could fit between a space as wide as its base between a tree, and a house. I put up my hand for an official to check the angle of the dice and the gap, and while he was coming he moved his fanatic through the space. I LOST it I completely LOST it I said a lot of things that had been building up over the past few months, and that was the last time I played him. Strangely enough not playing him was great for our relationship. We talked it out, and things were good. My solution to you? Dont play with him anymore. Our problem was that we were the only 2 people in our area that played the game. Unless thats the case with you (and regardless if it is) I would really not play with him.

The Dragon Reborn
10-06-2005, 08:33
I guess i am lucky in my area because i can only think of one party pooper of the whole lot. But You shouldnt stop playing them, Yes the reason to play is to have fun, that is the point of playing any game. but some people the point is to win and thats about it. I just tell bad sports that they are being a big wiener that generaly puts some sense into them, if that doesnt work i go with stupid face. if they dont laungh your in trouble and should probably run. Bascially remind them its a game and as others have said laugh alot.

Hell's Angel
10-06-2005, 08:50
He isnt a random person, the guy is his friend. If they are fighting over a certain stimulus then he should remove it. (In this case the game.)

predatorsown
10-06-2005, 09:03
I fidn that talking about anything other than the game in hand makes things a little easier. You can never tell what the other player is thinking and what you see as funny can turn out not to be from their perspective.

I'd much rather say nothing than start an arguement. Complimenting your opponents models is a good way to start a conversation, well if they're worth it at least. Never say, "its not that bad," to someone who just lost a complete unit in a turn, let them tell you that.

MidnightResistance
10-06-2005, 09:23
The January Portent tournament was an excellent example of how to be a good sport. If you were a bad sport, you lost points, thus it encouraged freindly play and happy negotiations.
Although someone scored -5 in sportsmanship -tee hee

Karhedron
10-06-2005, 11:11
I have a friend who plays Fantasy and is majorly into hero-hammer. He has a pretty poor win record because he tends to sink far too many points into characters and not enough into troops. He tends to get rather upset if his latest shiny special character gets bumped off.

MidnightResistance
10-06-2005, 11:15
I don't get upset when my Librarian does get killed, but it always throws my game off.
It's like your army leader represents you on the battlefield.

Typheron
10-06-2005, 11:42
i normally salute my commander after his valiant last ditch fight against (insert whoever killed him here).

A few games we played which were very fun invloved setting up any casualties beside the table in various silly ways, my fav is still the huge pile of dead nids being BBQd by 2 sentinels while the rest of the armys awaited lunch. Classic.

Doing fun things like that and not taking the game seriously always works for me, hell my best games are the ones where it all went horrably wrong and most of my army died in horrible, but amusing ways. Like when my warboss got gunned down by IG while crossing the street.

I feel that there are however players who you just cant have fun with as there version fo fun is beating your army to a pulp and then gloating about. I normally just avoid anyone like that and thankfully there in the minority.

Wolflord Havoc
10-06-2005, 12:52
I have been known to question the parentage of dice and models (who have totally failed to kill something/pass ld test etc) before now, I deal with it by making 'Sound effects' as I go through the battle.

Ahem...um...I think I have said too much...."Oh Look its the Emperor"...<Quickly Runs away>.....

EVIL INC
10-06-2005, 13:56
One of the ways we fixed that problem with my buddies back home was to create special objectives for the players who lost a lot. While I would have to claim my reguler objectives, my opponant could win by claiming smaller ones. Sometimes, it wouldsimply be a matter of him writing it down secretly and me not knowing until he accomplished them.

x-esiv-4c
10-06-2005, 13:57
One of the ways we fixed that problem with my buddies back home was to create special objectives for the players who lost a lot. While I would have to claim my reguler objectives, my opponant could win by claiming smaller ones. Sometimes, it wouldsimply be a matter of him writing it down secretly and me not knowing until he accomplished them.

Thats actually a pretty cool idea! In that case, no one really looses full out and less and less people turn into whiners.

Artemis_Quinn
10-06-2005, 15:11
I am pretty sure that once upon a time I used to be a bad sportsman. I played armies like necrons for 40K or lizardmen for fantasy, so if you lost something significant it was game deciding. That didn't even bother me so much though.... It was more or less those games where I had the victory in the bag but somehow lost it due to careless mistakes and bad die rolls late game after my intitial luck died out.

So, I remedied that a little. I play accident prone armies now (they're more fun anyways, can't go wrong when failure is expected). And anymore, I don't mind losing to a worthy opponent or anybody for that matter. Mainly because I usually had enough fun during the game degrading my troops or by tallying it up at the end and finding out that I killed more of my stuff than my opponent did that victory is hardly a factor in my mind. (BTW.... My new armies are Skaven (not SAD skaven but friendly skaven.... if there ever was such a thing :D and for 40K LatD.... gotta love those firearms and greater deamons that kill chamions to come into existence)

Plus, you've just gotta remember, somebody's gotta lose.

Inquis. Jaeger
10-06-2005, 15:21
Cure for bad sportsmanship? NOT a $10k 40k Tournament

dodicula
10-06-2005, 16:33
to lighten the mood I make my minis talk in ebonics- If someone assaults my termies I'll say something like: "I know you ain't tryin to step to the t-dog crew"

jesters89
10-06-2005, 18:09
Haha. Dodicula, while that may lighten the mood for you, the person I mentioned would get furious if I won theh assault after talking ebonics. Cockiness or some such business. Okay, you guys have given me some good ideas.

Let me fill you in a bit more about the situation. This buddy of mine always claims that its not the losing that is upsetting, its when its a major loss (which it never is). The bad mood comes around when a unit gets killed. The player has a very onesided view of things-- negative outlook, if you will. Maybe objective type games are the way to go. I'd hate to stop playing altogether as I love the hobby. Also, to make things a bit more difficult, there is noone else in the area to play with. Noone at all.

Hell's Angel
11-06-2005, 05:52
If he is a friend and you want to keep playing with him then set up a camera (hidden) and film a game. The next time he comes over tell him you want to show him something and watch it together. If he is defensive about his bad behaviour, then I really dont know what to tell you. Personally what I did was put together a second army from figs I had lying around. (A Brit list) I then gave it to another friend and taught him how to play. As he got better and more interested he bought models of his own (dragons unfortunately.) Then I played him... I bought undead models for a 3rd friend...

Isuran Greifenherz
11-06-2005, 10:10
Well, my friends always get really pissed if they lose and acause my of cheating and call me a" cheesy, unfair, cheap player which has to mutch luck".
Then they want a rematch and they lose or win it. Either way they shut up.

Wiseman
11-06-2005, 11:19
i know guys who if they start ot lose make excuses for it, and even accussed me of using wieghted dice (which it turned out he was, though the dice were the wrong ones and hed picked up his weighted to a 1 dice, oh the irony)

Rabid Bunny 666
11-06-2005, 11:27
i enjoy games by keeping my basic units in underused roles, tactical mrines supporting assaults whilst throwing my veterans and other combat units into the thick of it. me and my mate Gary used to have a rivalry between my force commander and his warlord, the commander used to duff up the warboss and get gunned down by the buggys big shoota :D. this ended when i became a vet and i haven't played against him since

if someone is a bad sport, talk to them and highlight anything out of the norm in a game, like a scout taking down a bloodthirster in shooting or guardsmen taking a charge and winning. play in character and just have fun

Getz
12-06-2005, 00:06
I'm often cncerned that I get too caught up in the game a little too much and start palying with poor sportsmanship. I certainly would hope that if I was being an ass my opponent would let me know as I genuinely don't want to be un-fun to play against.