PDA

View Full Version : Returning to 40K after over 5 years... so confused

Almost_Famous
28-05-2006, 17:34
Hey everyone,

I've been posting around this board for a little bit, and I'm just starting to get back into 40k after a rather long break..

I'm trying to choose my next army project to do, but seriously... with all the new rules and army lists, I dunno what the hell is going on! I understand that some of the lists aren't "legal" anymore? Is there some place that it says what lists are and are not legal? For instance: Flesh tearers had and Index Astartes article, but I've seen conflicting reports on it's legality these days. And all the Imperial Armour books - are they allowed?

I'm sure it would be ridiculous to ask to have what is and is not legal all put down right now, but I'm still hoping that somewhere, someone has listed this stuff.

Also, I know that there are always new rules and whathaveyou being printed in white dwarf - but what is a guy to do if he's missed out on years worth of WD?

Anyways -- sorry if this is a dumb question, but the ppl I play with now are super-hard core about things being legal - which is stupid if you ask me, 'cause the games we play are "for fun" (i.e. one guy freaked out when I ASKED if it was ok to be ONE point over our agreed upon limit - and it wasn't due to wargear, I had nothing worth 1 pt. in my list)

ArtificerArmour
28-05-2006, 17:38
Hey everyone,

I've been posting around this board for a little bit, and I'm just starting to get back into 40k after a rather long break..

Howdy! Welcome back.

I'm trying to choose my next army project to do, but seriously... with all the new rules and army lists, I dunno what the hell is going on! I understand that some of the lists aren't "legal" anymore? Is there some place that it says what lists are and are not legal? For instance: Flesh tearers had and Index Astartes article, but I've seen conflicting reports on it's legality these days. And all the Imperial Armour books - are they allowed?

Depends on who you play with if they allow it. Ask them.

I'm sure it would be ridiculous to ask to have what is and is not legal all put down right now, but I'm still hoping that somewhere, someone has listed this stuff.

It really depends on what type of gaming you want. Again, ask the people who you are playing with.

Also, I know that there are always new rules and whathaveyou being printed in white dwarf - but what is a guy to do if he's missed out on years worth of WD?

Chapter approved, the rules bit, went the way of the dodo. And the GW website has most of the rules on there in the chapter approved section.

Anyways -- sorry if this is a dumb question, but the ppl I play with now are super-hard core about things being legal - which is stupid if you ask me, 'cause the games we play are "for fun" (i.e. one guy freaked out when I ASKED if it was ok to be ONE point over our agreed upon limit - and it wasn't due to wargear, I had nothing worth 1 pt. in my list)

Lucky you.

Grimtuff
28-05-2006, 17:39
In the example you give the Flesh Tearers list is still fully legal as the codex it uses (Blood Angels) still is, same cannot be said for White Scars, Imperial Fists and Raven Guard et al.

During the time you've been gone there's a whole new edition of the game out, so anything put in many of those WD's could be obselete.

As for player's attitudes, it depends entirely on your location, as many people in this day and age seem to be going around with a Tournament mentality, yet will never compete in one.

Officialdom. Pah!

Hope that helps. :)

ashc
28-05-2006, 18:09
I guess really you could class yourself as a new player then as so much has changed?

My suggestion in that case? don't get bogged down by rules too much and just choose an army that you really like the models and background to; chances are you will get far more out of it in the long run.

Oh in hindsight i wish i could do that nowadays!

Ash

boogle
28-05-2006, 19:01
RE the imperial armour books, they might not be legal in a tourney atmosphere, but i can't see any reason for people disallowing their use in a friendly setting

Chaos and Evil
28-05-2006, 19:08

Don't worry, ALL White Dwarf rules ever made are now illegal, so say GW. :D

Call him a nerd. :D

Yes, the tournament-only legal-only mentality is crippling the game right now... I do my best to ignore it and have fun instead of doing my damndest to annoy my opponent.

ffclubhero
28-05-2006, 19:57
Welcome back!

Anyhow, I have found this link very useful:

http://uk.games-workshop.com/warhammer40000/gaming/

It covers a wide variety of subject matters, but all relating just to the game side of the hobby.

1pt.? The Chaos player I game with probably would have slapped the guy....:rolleyes:

paddyalexander
28-05-2006, 20:26
Hey hey & welcome back, The flesh tearers are legal as long as you use the rules from Codex:Blood Angles. Most of the Varient chapters for loyal space marines are now represented by selecting traits from the new codex & the rules for traitor marine varients are now all in their codex as well.
It isn't that the articles have been made illigel, its just that they've been updated and moved to the Codexes so are now out of date/redundant.

Some players get bogged down by the rules and are ultra competitive. While that in itself is not a bad thing when it impacts on the fun of a game its annoying. Being over by a point or two is Ok with me & most of my friends know that I'll automaticly agree to play against any needs permission stuff as long as the points restrictions are heeded to.

The new rules arn't too hard to adjust to. The biggest changes are calvary automaticly having fleet of foot/hoof/wing/claw, rapid fire weapons now being able to move and shoot twice & the assault rules being made simpler. Vehicles can now move and shoot more weapons becoming more effective.

It sounds like your biggest problem will be in finding more easy going gamers to play against. I hope you find some people you'll be able to have fun playing against because thats what its all about.

boogle
28-05-2006, 20:39
Good Traits for Flesh Tearers if you don't want to use the BA book and want to stay true to their background:
Cleanse and Purify (2 Special weapons fits in with their Assault Background)
or
Take the Fight to Them (exchanges their Bolters for BP/CCW)
and
No Mercy, No Respite (Tac and Assault Sqauds can buy the Furious Charge USR)

with the Drawbacks:
Flesh Over Steel (0-1 HS Tank in the army, with the disallowment of the LRC and Predator Annihilator)
and
Faithful Unto Death (-1 Elite FA and HS slot choice), this would represent the fact there are only 4 full companies left

Morgrad
29-05-2006, 01:47
I hadn't played since 2nd edition and jumped right into this edition about half a year ago.

As is my advice anyone asks about an army: pick the one where you like the minis and the fluff the most, then learn as you go.

zoggin-eck
29-05-2006, 09:35
welcome back! I'm just getting back into it oo, but as I've still bought white dwarf every month (some habits never die) and visited the website etc. I at least know what armies I can use still. Doesn't make it and easier to decide though :P

Tabris
29-05-2006, 13:59
I know how you feel mate.

I'm considering getting back into it as I haven't played for around 5 years either.

I'm in the process of making myself a BT Emperor's Champion and possibly an army if I can afford it/be bothered to make one.

I doubt I'd play in the stores though, the stigma of the stores are overpowering, I can barely stay in there for more than a couple of minutes.

Bookwrak
29-05-2006, 14:54
If it's only been five years, that means the OP was in during 3rd edition, so not all that much has changed. Pick up a rule book and read through it to find out what rules have changed. Check out the GW website to find out what's up with variant rules. Lists are only 'illegal' if they've been supercede by a new Codex, so various SM sub lists are now represented by choosing 'Chapter Traits,' instead of using a 3rd Ed codex.

Lyinar
29-05-2006, 16:13
Index Astartes has been superseded. It isn't illegal in the "Let's just disallow this!" way that the UKGT organizer decided to declare that Codex: Eye of Terror, Codex: Armageddon, Codex: Craftworld Eldar, and the WHFB Storm of Chaos book were illegal.

It's illegal in the "You can't show up to a tournament with a 2nd Edition army" kind of way.

If you want to start anew, just pick something and go with it. The Space Marines, Tyranids, Black Templars, and Tau have already been redone. The Eldar are going to be updated in November, then Dark Angels and Orks. After that, it gets a bit unclear, but they will be redoing the Space Wolves, Blood Angels, etc. interspersed with the other armies.

NashTrickster
29-05-2006, 19:41
Been at your place only a year ago... Hadn't played since 2nd ed and was quite "surprised" (not in the good sense of the word) by the changes that the game had went through while I was busy with other things...

But I've found a few like-minded players now (those who play for the pleasure of a good game, placing fluff before any "legal" notion) and I really came to enjoy the simplicity of the current rules (even if I still can't understand why "Overwatch" was removed)

So, my one and only advice is: try to find better players ;)