PDA

View Full Version : Snottlebocket's warhammer quest

snottlebocket
21-05-2013, 14:33
I suppose this was coming now that I've caught the bug. I started playing warhammer as a kid in the year warhammer quest was released. Collecting warhammer was hard enough on a kid's budget so I never got into at the time but boy did it look tempting. Great heroes fighting hordes of monsters in dark dungeons. It just had so much personality.

This year I lucked out and finally found an affordable WHQ set. Unable to afford the ebay boxes, I asked around local club fora's and found two brothers who each got a set for their birthday long ago. As luck would have it, they were willing to sell me one set cheap. Even luckier perhaps, the set turned out to be brand new, unglued miniatures, perfect card stock, every counter and tiny dice accounted for.

I've always had a great deal of nostalgia for early 90's GW stuff so this felt like a treasure trove, so much in fact that I couldn't bring myself to start using and abusing it. Lucky Inandantia is running a very inspirational thread on how to build your own WHQ board. And so the journey begins. I intend to build and finish a full set of WHQ board sections to be used this summer. The copy shop at my work is printing out and binding a new set of books so I can leave the current books untouched.

I'm also considering putting together a database and a set of generators for monsters and treasure, perhaps one to maintain our characters between games as well. If anyone would be interested in helping me fill these once I get them running that would be much appreciated. WHQ is pretty table heavy and it's a lot of data entry

Anyway a picture to officially start it of:

Inandantia
22-05-2013, 16:06
YES! Great stuff, can't wait to see where this project goes.

snottlebocket
23-05-2013, 13:19
Texture test. I thought the bare plasticard was a bit too smooth so I dabbed liquid green stuff onto the plasticard before spraypainting, painting and drybrushing. I think it looks ok.

snottlebocket
25-05-2013, 21:56
Working on the first objective room to break the boredom of cutting tiles. I'm trying to keep the rooms as flat as possible to make for easy storage. I'm also trying to use my existing warhammer scenery to give it a bit of interest.

Since I can't do a good job of depth in this way, the dramatic fire chasm is turning into a slightly less impressive lava stream with stepping stones. But hey, the statue is a great deal more dramatic. Should be pretty easy to do a quest with the wight or wraith stepping down from the pedestal to face the heroes.

Inandantia
26-05-2013, 08:54
That's more or less what I was thinking of doing with the fire chasm. Looks great so far especially with the garden of morr statue, plain plasticard probably won't do it justice but once the lava effect is painted the lack of depth shouldn't make any difference (it just means if you fall in you won't have time to do a Gollum impression!). Can't wait to see how you tackle the rest of the objective rooms.

snottlebocket
26-05-2013, 09:33
That's more or less what I was thinking of doing with the fire chasm. Looks great so far especially with the garden of morr statue, plain plasticard probably won't do it justice but once the lava effect is painted the lack of depth shouldn't make any difference (it just means if you fall in you won't have time to do a Gollum impression!). Can't wait to see how you tackle the rest of the objective rooms.

I was thinking of replacing the fountain of life with a tree of life. Building and storing a fountain (especially with water effects) sounds like a major hassle. But the fantasy trope between the fountain of life and the tree of life is almost exactly the same and looking at the missions they could easily be replaced by a tree of life / tree of lost souls. Trees are easy and a tree bursting up with broken tiles around it's roots and all that would look pretty dramatic I think.

Just have an apple instead of a drink.

S_A_T_S
26-05-2013, 09:57
A well made fountain would possibly look cooler tho, and it's an excuse to try out some water effects. Might be more solid, depending on how you build it - less branches and leave to store, just a low basin with a couple of plastic/resin gouts of water sticking out from it.

Love the fire chasm. THe stepping stones look great and the alt-statue is a cool idea. Have you thought about adding bubble to the lava stream? You could use half beads, or make your own from green stuff - simply roll a ball of green stuff, let it set then chop in half. Green stuff would allow you to control the height a little better, and so keep the depth of the board section low for storage, and the bubbles might give it more of a 3D effect.

snottlebocket
26-05-2013, 10:01
A well made fountain would possibly look cooler tho, and it's an excuse to try out some water effects. Might be more solid, depending on how you build it - less branches and leave to store, just a low basin with a couple of plastic/resin gouts of water sticking out from it.

Love the fire chasm. THe stepping stones look great and the alt-statue is a cool idea. Have you thought about adding bubble to the lava stream? You could use half beads, or make your own from green stuff - simply roll a ball of green stuff, let it set then chop in half. Green stuff would allow you to control the height a little better, and so keep the depth of the board section low for storage, and the bubbles might give it more of a 3D effect.

Yeah bubbles are planned. I was thinking of just cutting off the ball joints from a load of old surplus limbs to get some half spheres. At the end of the day plastic still glues on best. I'll give the fountain some thought, the tree is a bit of a cop out and I'll have plenty of cop outs from the board sections that have depth on them like the fighting pit.

HereBeDragons
27-05-2013, 10:36
I like the tree of life idea. You can almost imagine a shaft of sunlight illuminating a glad in the middle of the dungeon

Daniel36
27-05-2013, 11:29
I second the tree of life idea. I would even be tempted to start doing dungeon stuff just to make that tree of life idea come to uhh... life...
That's how cool the idea is. Go for it!!

abdulaapocolyps
01-06-2013, 03:11
I have a very good item generator in excel with macros to pull the items from all the cards for you if you want it.
Good luck mate, this game RULES.

snottlebocket
01-06-2013, 06:43
I have a very good item generator in excel with macros to pull the items from all the cards for you if you want it.
Good luck mate, this game RULES.
I'd love that, I found an excel creature generator online but it was so old it didn't work in my excel.

Inandantia
01-06-2013, 20:50
Also agreed with the tree idea, would be really dramatic as you say. Plus it's quite out of place in a WHQ dungeon, making it all the more special. I think that's why the fountain of light was my favourite objective room; all the skulls, grime and weapons you'd expect in a dungeon but the fountain contrasted all that by being clean (ish) and made it stand out.

I really like your idea of using liquid green stuff to add texture. Not sure I've got the patience to do it on all the tiles but have used it on the tomb for the tomb chamber and it's made a big difference. So cheers for that one!

More pics please :D

snottlebocket
09-06-2013, 15:57
Been too busy for my quest project for a while. Here's an update for the objective room.

I looked up some tutorial for painting lava and thought: meh, too much work. So I used a ton of water to run red, orange and yellow paint together instead. Close enough.

Andy_T
11-06-2013, 22:23
very, very cool. (or hot i suppose!) Lava looks awesome!

Richard
30-06-2013, 07:41
Loving the atmosphere the tile gives off, what's you thinking next? and will there be a bridge or jump move to cross the lava.

Purplebeard
01-07-2013, 07:00
I like the tall statue on the board. Good stuff.

snottlebocket
15-07-2013, 19:24
Well, I was hoping to have my board done for the big game coming weekend but I ran out of liquid green stuff and the store has to order in.

So I did the unthinkable and painted our heroes instead. Instead of choosing the color schemes myself I asked each of the players to describe their hero to me. Is your elf of the tree hugging variety or the shadow dwelling kind, fire or ice wizard, brown bear, polar bear or care bear cloak (dodged a bullet on that one).

Anyway, here's us: