PDA

View Full Version : Beautiful world

Griffin
29-05-2006, 15:02
Hey hey - I was just wondering - I'm busy painting my Black legion CSM army - Now i'm painting on the primer by hand since you can't import the GW Primer due to some kind of crappy volatile chemicals act - So far I have had good success in using a very diluted chaos black and then painting on a few layers. My question is this - Can you paint your army in a different colour and then use the Rules for BL, Death guard or whatever - or must the actual color scheme conform with it to play in a tourney ? The reason why i'm asking that is that I wanna do the shoulder Pads of my army in Blue, With the rest in black/gold and green helmet lenses. Is this legal or must you conform to your chosen armies color scheme ?

All help appreciated.

Griffin

bluebugs
29-05-2006, 15:22
no where in the book does it say that you HAVE to do it a certain way, so you could paint them neon green and use the tzeench rules.

Griffin
29-05-2006, 15:24
Oh OK then - just asking since I started playing a few days ago - I havn't got a rulebook yet only CSM codex. So far i'm loving it - all the pointy bits!!

Wraithbored
29-05-2006, 15:29
Yes please be creative! Paint them whatever you desire, and use any rules you like (but do stay in the same army, it's a tad silly when an Ork plays a Tyrannid warrior) :D

Kjell
29-05-2006, 15:29
While the Death Guard, Thousand Sons, Emperor's Children and World Eaters technically all have specific colour schemes you could easily "get away" with painting them in the colours of their patron. Death Guard could just look all plague-y and stuff, Emperor's Children can be generally garish and World Eaters basically just have to be a combination of red, brass and a bit of black. The Thousand Sons are the ones with the most rigid colour scheme, oddly enough, but that's only because there are no general Tzeentchain troops.

The Black Legion are the Ultramarines of the CSM codex. They are the most average Chaos Marines, so the BL list is the codex list.

When it comes to the other Legions, well... You don't have to paint them exactly like they are in the codex but it is preferrable if they are easily identified as belonging to the Legion you use the rules for. Of course, this is just my opinion. It's what I would do, but it's not what everyone has to do.

Griffin
29-05-2006, 15:41
I'm just thinking that I wanna change that bit (the pads). So cool - Anyways, what do you guys think of my painting method so far as I don't have primer spray - Any ideas for improvements ? anyone else done it this way ? I need all the advice I can get - that's why I have downloaded a gazillion painting guides - none of them actually tells you how to properly assemble them ? So what other advice can you guys offer in regards to black legion lists ? Footsloggers + Daemons with some heavy weapons ? and transports ? Sounds yummy to me - what do you guys think. PS everybody who lives in South Africa please PM me.

Griffin

Helicon_One
29-05-2006, 17:04
Surely there must be an alternative form of spraypaint you can get hold of, even if its some locally produced equivalent? Hand painted undercoats don't give nearly as good base to paint onto, so I'd really try to get hold of something - try and get in touch with other local painters and see what they use. Good luck.

Hmm, wonder if I could make my fortune smuggling black-market Citadel spraypaint into South Africa....

Tim

langolas
29-05-2006, 17:13
Automotive primer works wonders as well. I've been using it for years, never used GW spray paints.

t-tauri
29-05-2006, 17:31
Black spray car primer. Cheaper, easier to get and gives better coverage in my experience.

Rabid Bunny 666
29-05-2006, 20:42
Just remember, they can represent another space Marine chapter rebelling, so the options for paint schemes are limitless

Griffin
30-05-2006, 06:02
The problem is I havn't found any other people who play WH40K in Port Elizibeth area. So I can basically use any spraypaint then ?

Gavmo
30-05-2006, 06:13
With the spray paint, dont go for the cheep stuff. This may wreck your models. Just look for some stuff that looks good, (as in not heapy-cheepy stuff) and make sure it is MATT. You dont want to use gloss as this wont work too well.
I'm not exactly paint master, so its probably better to ask some of the better painters at this site and the dudes at the hardware store. They should be able to recomend some good brands to use.

And ALWAYS spot test it on some spare sprue first!!! Some spraypaints melt GW plastics.:eek:

EDIT: Yay! 500th post!!!

Griffin
30-05-2006, 06:22
Goodlord melts it ? So far I have found out the following, aparantly Tamiya Works (expensive but worth it) or spraymate for middel of the range - now I just need to find one of the 2.

Gavmo
30-05-2006, 08:10
Yep, sure does. I was talking to a red shirt a little while ago and he said that he had a guy come in to buy the Battle of Macragge boxed set. The red shirt recomended the GW spraypaint, (of course:rolleyes: ) to which the guy got all shirty and said that he was a spraypainter and that he knew the best stuff to paint it with...

...He came back the next day and had to buy another boxed set because he'd used paint that had melted all his kids new mini's.

And dont start spraying untill your arm hurts from shaking it. The last thing you want is to have a landspeeder that lookes like mine, gritty and lumpy.:cries:

Griffin
30-05-2006, 09:29
Hmm - That would look good on my chaos marines - corroded and pitted armour hooray.
Thanx guys - anything else