PDA

View Full Version : Dark Elves Switcheroo

Zexitox
30-05-2006, 05:16
Iím thinknin of startin Dark Elves but donít like some of the models. What are some replacements I could use Ė want to keep it GW so no other brands thanks.
Are there Dark Elder troops I could slot in? Or other army dudes?
What other minis lend themselves to Dark Elf assimilation? Bear in mind I ainít no modeler and don't have any skillz for conversions
Please help. All suggestions welcomed. Thanks!

gorenut
30-05-2006, 06:15
You gotta be more specific on what you like/don't like about the models. Also which models you want to replace. Me personally, I love the warriors and executioners but really dislike the dark rider horses and witches.

Obvious decisions are elves of any other flavor. I'm sure you can snag a wood elf or high elf and paint it dark.

Flypaper
30-05-2006, 11:12
Wow, you're in a minority there - DE are generally agreed to have one of the best (certainly top-three) model ranges out there. A more legitimate complaint would be how expensive they are with only a single plastics box and a lot of elite (metal) infantry options.

...So there is a culture of DE assimilation. Turning WE Glade Riders into Dark Riders has become something of a standard, f'rinstance.

40K models have different base types (round instead of square, basically), but you could just buy a bag of loose slottabases if needbe.

I was given a handful of Dark Eldar sprues ("Oh, you play Warhammer? Wonderful! My boy's just quit!"), and from examination they wouldn't really work as DE units. Some of the heads (the ones without helmets!), the ponytails and the hand-weapons can be used to add some variety to the mix, but they're clearly not full a substitution option.

As gorenut pointed out, you essentially have access to all three elven model ranges. I might add (being the shameless type) that there's no reason why you can't nick any human models either, as long as they look graceful enough.

nevermore
30-05-2006, 15:11
The dark eldar wytches are better than the dark elf witch-elves.

modify grave guard into black guard with green stuff and patience

metallegion
30-05-2006, 15:23
Wait... they will be re-done in like 3 years! ;)

nevermore
30-05-2006, 15:36
They will be re-done at the end of this year i think.:)

Finnblood
30-05-2006, 15:36
Use Daemonettes as witch elves. Though you'd need to switch the heads and arms.. and legs too... or maybe just change the hands... they'll lack noses then, though...

A neutral shade of black.
30-05-2006, 15:53
They will be re-done at the end of this year i think.:)

You're wrong regardless of what you think, considering that DE have one of the best model ranges out there and that all sources so far state 2008 as earliest for the DE.

But anyway, most HE/WE minis could probably do the trick with a liberal sprinkle of parts and some dark painting.

Rork
30-05-2006, 17:35
The dark eldar wytches are better than the dark elf witch-elves.

I would say that there are very few wyches that are on the same par as Dark Elf Witch elves.

If you need to replace Witch Elf models, you're missing out on some of the best parts of the range.

kyussinchains
30-05-2006, 17:41
if you want to start an army, it's generally a good idea to work with an army that you like miniature wise, unless you're really good at and/or interested in converting.

The Dark elves have some seriously good miniatures, sure the plastic horses are pretty crappy, but the executioners are probably (in my opinion anyway) the best looking miniatures you can buy. Black Guard, witch elves, CoK, Corsairs, are all timeless, the only thing that bothers me is the new cold ones, but I just bought a bunch of the old metal ones off ebay and stuck the new riders on them.

TKitch
30-05-2006, 18:02
if only more of us could have this kind of skill with green stuff. (No, its not mine, I'm merely the host for the pics!)

http://gallery.thrasherkitch.com/eskomoro-green-stuffs?page=4

http://gallery.thrasherkitch.com/eskomoro-green-stuffs?page=3

All made from scratch. *drools*

Inquisitor Maul
30-05-2006, 18:39
Oh my, that's some awesome models. GW: Hire this guy!!

Finnblood
30-05-2006, 19:21
Dude, you almost made drown in my own drool! Those things were so pretty!

Mouldsta
31-05-2006, 00:53
Wow, I have to say if they doesn't already have a job as a sculptor then they should consider it.

nevermore
31-05-2006, 10:49
if only more of us could have this kind of skill with green stuff. (No, its not mine, I'm merely the host for the pics!)

http://gallery.thrasherkitch.com/eskomoro-green-stuffs?page=4

http://gallery.thrasherkitch.com/eskomoro-green-stuffs?page=3

All made from scratch. *drools*

They are amazing, i would pay good cash to buy them of him!!:angel:

Zexitox
01-06-2006, 01:38
Thanks for the swap suggestions. The Dark Elves minis are cool I just wanted to mix it up and have a slightly different army rather than a stock standard one.

And those guys green stuff elves are freeaaking awesome. That's what the cold ones should look like - menacing

The Judge
01-06-2006, 14:49
Love those greens... the Cold Ones are nasty lizards rather than scaly cows!

I'd have to recommend keeping the Black Guard and Executioners, they are superb miniatures, but to replace the warriors, I've some very nice conversion with Wych torsos going on the chainmail skirts of the current warriors.