PDA

View Full Version : Mounted Characters and Joining Units

Griffite
20-06-2013, 02:06
I was curious if my BSB could join a unit of Trolls if he was mounted on a Chaos Steed or something similar. Basically I am wondering if there is anyway he could join a unit of Chaos Trolls. Thanks for any help

bigbiggles
20-06-2013, 02:29
Yes, he can join( nearly ) any unit he wants. But he will not get look out sir rolls unless he in in a unit of matching type ( chaos knights or marauder horsemen for a chaos steed. Or join skullcrushers on a demonic mount).

Griffite
20-06-2013, 04:03
Great thanks for the reply. Really helps :)

bigbiggles
20-06-2013, 05:40
Keep in mind that warriors of chaos have additional restrictions. ( different marks can't mix). But trolls are unmarked, so anyone can go in there. Just not 2 different marked characters

ratlingwei
20-06-2013, 14:29
I can't post new threads so I thought I might ask the question here as it is related though its also tactic related.

I really want to make my general on pegasus, and I already have all the models and I'm thinking of doing a simple conversions of giving him brace of pistols or repeater handgun in addition to a hand weapon. I lost my recently purchased rulebook on a ship and I'm waiting delivery on a new one and with a match coming up I'm in a hurry.

So my question is, can a pegasus general be in a group? I.e statetroops/reiksguard knights or would that defeat the purpose of a pegasus? (make it too cost ineffective) I'm kind of afraid of leaving him alone with regards to being shot down by ranged weapons sine he is not as strong as a monster/dragon.
Also what are the rules of giving generals/heroes ranged weapons like handguns when they don't generally have it?

Artinam
20-06-2013, 15:08
Yes he can join certain (non-flying) units. Unless the unit is classed monsterous cavalry he doesn't get a look out sir roll .

There are no special rules for say an Empire captain with a handgun, if he can take with his armybook he follows the normal rules for shooting and the weapon (as in you can't move and shoot with a repeater handgun, but you could with a Brace of pistoles).

If you want to send of on his own, take the charmed shield to that cannon/boltthrower shot. Also him being with Full Plate, with a shield and being mounted gives him a 2+ save protecting him against most shots and he gets an additional wound to boot(not the general(.

ratlingwei
20-06-2013, 15:31
Aha, so I could give him a brace of pistols, and if he doesnt make a charge, at least he could fire off a shot? How much better is the repeater handgun? Would you rather just discard the whole ranged weapon idea?

This is my first game in 15 years so I'm excited trying out new combinations.
Think I will send him alone with a charmed shield then and try to flank with him instead of charging head on.

Thanks for fast reply :)

theshoveller
20-06-2013, 16:43
Aha, so I could give him a brace of pistols, and if he doesnt make a charge, at least he could fire off a shot? How much better is the repeater handgun? Would you rather just discard the whole ranged weapon idea?

This is my first game in 15 years so I'm excited trying out new combinations.
Think I will send him alone with a charmed shield then and try to flank with him instead of charging head on.

Thanks for fast reply :)
Are you asking if he can shoot when he fails a charge (because I would assume the answer to be 'no' - you certainly never used to be able to)? If you're asking, "can he shoot his pistols instead of charging?", then yes (though on a tactical note, you'd probably be better marching to a more favourable position - to charge next turn - considering how little damage the pistols will do).

ratlingwei
20-06-2013, 17:32
Are you asking if he can shoot when he fails a charge (because I would assume the answer to be 'no' - you certainly never used to be able to)? If you're asking, "can he shoot his pistols instead of charging?", then yes (though on a tactical note, you'd probably be better marching to a more favourable position - to charge next turn - considering how little damage the pistols will do).

Ah yeah that was what I was asking :) If he could shoot in the shooting phase and still use his melee abilities same turn. Damn I got some serious reading to do, thanks btw

Artinam
20-06-2013, 21:32
People do use the Captain on Pegasus but they generally keep in cheap (just a shield and a lance) and have him kill diverting units, support charges or asassinate character like wizards.

bigbiggles
20-06-2013, 23:54
Yeah, I would skip the ranged weapons on him. But brace of pistols would be the best if you had to