PDA

View Full Version : Should store listings be in WD?

Hlokk
31-05-2006, 19:29
We all know how the back end of WD now has 6-7 pages of store listings for every concievable outlet of GW stuff on your continent. Feelings appear to be devided wether or not they should be included the magazine, and from what I've read on the board, could be summarised as:

Arguements for:

Their useful for finding stores
If their taken out, they'll just be replaced with more adverts
Not everyone has access to the internet

Arguements against:

Their a waste of space which could be used for articles
On top of a 20 page cut, loosing 7 pages to this takes the ****
They could concievably be put on the internet
Their unneccessary (who needs to know where a store in southern equador is)

So, use the poll at the top to cast your vote, and perhaps offer your opinion in here. Any info may be used by Jedi and I in writing a collective letter to the UKWD editorial team.

Avian
31-05-2006, 19:40
Complete waste. I've only had a use for it once when I went to Spain, but the spanish stores are not listed! Rubbish! :(

And to make it worse, it's really difficult to locate the store finder on the spanish GW website if you don't know spanish! :cries:

Melchor
31-05-2006, 19:42
The internet will do nicely thank you.

samael
31-05-2006, 19:48
Much to the dismay of my better half I always manage to stumble across a GW store wherever we are.
So Can I get a "Hell no, give me more articles" option in the poll please. :)

Piku
31-05-2006, 20:04
Perhaps just uk retail stores in the uk edition of the mag, likewise in other national publications.
I use the guide now and again when I'm working outside of my own town.

Damien 1427
31-05-2006, 20:13
Considering some of the Essex listings are out of date by about, oh, a year, I say scrap them.

Though they wouldn't fill the space in. You know, because that'd be providing value for money. Something the Dwarf seems incapable of doing nowadays.

strv
31-05-2006, 20:14
They where useful when I went to London a few weeks ago, I say keep 'em

pablofiasco
31-05-2006, 20:50
there is a listing for Roanoke, Va, that has not carried Gw stuff in 8+ years now (ever since the stores owners son Died), in fact that store no longer carries gaming stuff of any kind,
yet it is still listed in teh Gw online storefinder, AND in that **^& printout

I dont mind the stores listed in the magazine, but dammit they better be accurate

Charax
31-05-2006, 21:00
A full list once every 4 issues and nothing the rest of the time would be fine.

Crube
31-05-2006, 21:01
No, for the sheer reason that as wd is produced 3 months or so in advance, its always out of date...

Pertinax
31-05-2006, 23:08
I think that GW should drop the store listings from WD, and produce a catalogue every 6 months instead of every year, with updated ranges it, along with updated store listings.

In that way, you get:

Regional paper products
Reasonably up to date products
Updated catalogue contents and prices
Optional to pick it up if you want it.

Why the hell not?

skavenguy13
31-05-2006, 23:26
IMO only "local" stores should be included. This means by country, since WD seems to be printed by country. But they don't need 5 pages of long descriptions of each, just the name, address and phone number is enough.

That way, it lets more place for even more useless "buy this" plugs. At least something would be useful in WD, maybe even worth purchasing once every few years.

Chuffy
31-05-2006, 23:33
They could just have a booklet or leaflet in store telling you the store listing, alternatively put them on t'internet.

A complete waste of space in WD.

ReDavide
01-06-2006, 00:32
The store listings are one of the features of WD that I use the most, although that's not saying much. :p

Back before I had internet access, they were my only way of finding out what stores in my area carried GW products. Sure, now and then an entry was out of date, but it wasn't any more frequent than phone book errors are.

Many people these days have internet access, and the GW US site at least has a nice shop finder utility. But there are still a whole lot of people who don't have internet access (including about half my gaming group), and for them, the printed listing is still the only way of finding new shops.

I say keep'em. The poor indie stores need all the advertising they can get.

Finn Sourscowl
01-06-2006, 08:59
Doesn't the US WD have a small booklet with it that lists all the stores? Surely if the US WD team can do that, then the UK lot can as well??

Seriously though... it's out of date (due to the way WD is produced) and GW must think that the vast majority of people now have internet access, or they wouldn't be pushing WD Online so much!

As an aside, the one time it would have been useful was when I was in France and wanted to know the address of the GW in Nantes... but to do that I'd have to have bought the French WD... silly, huh? What's the number one tourist destination for the British? France. Which stores aren't listed? :eyebrows:

cailus
01-06-2006, 09:22
The ironic thing is that in my town if you find a copy of White Dwarf then you will find that it's located next to a big pile of GW merchandise. Pretty much the only stockists of WD are the people who sell the models as well.

A couple of newsagents get WD as well but for some reason only get it inconsistently and then only 1 or 2 copies.

Mr Tiddles
01-06-2006, 10:18
I always assumed they were part of the deal with Indie retailers.
Take our stuff and we'll list your store in WD.
Can anyone confirm?

If that is the case, no wonder they don't take it out.

As for listing stores everywhere, well the "UK" edition is the same one that is sold by the Northern Europe part of GW. Northern Europe includes pretty much everywhere in Europe that isn't Spain, France Italy or Germany hence the huge list.

The answer is for all those NE countries to get their own WD then people in Sweden could moan about their pages being taken up by listings of stores in Denmark.
:)

Shadowheart
01-06-2006, 10:33
There's no reason to throw them out. It'd make WD a few pages lighter, and give you less pages to skip. I've found it useful in the past, and I'm sure there's always at least a few people who do so too, even if the list is out of date.

Almost the entire WD these days is a waste of space which could be used for articles. It's not like WD is lacking in content because they can't find the room for it, they're just not producing any.

Jellicoe
01-06-2006, 11:06
Once every quarter only. Anything else is an unnecessary waste of space - I mean, telling me where to get my figs if I happen to be in Port Stanley - honestly!

it would also have to be on the proviso that the space saved is used for decent articles not advertising or tomb king 'tactica' *****

fsssh
01-06-2006, 11:22
i say get rid of the listing, but at least attempt to replace it with something useful.

the debate that it is a valid inclusion for those not able to get on t'internet is weak and is easily solved:

a store locator phone number (which even under WD current editorial directive could take up one page at the most) and then, for example, put some of the best of black gobbo which are otherwise denied to those without access to the web.

if it is a tie-in to the contract with independent stockists then thats another matter, but most indies in my local area either giving up on GW or so ridiculously easy to locate that if you need a list you are doing something quite wrong.

god octo
01-06-2006, 12:21
maybe is should be every other issue?

Gethalorre
01-06-2006, 13:56
fsssh has a good idea. Print a store finder phone number - problem solved and should onlt take up half a page at most.

spikedog
01-06-2006, 14:44
I think as had been mentioned already here a leaflet free to pickup in store would be good but also give the same leaflet away free with WD every 6 months or so.

The reason they keep worldwide GW location listings in each issue is that not every country has a WD (Japan for example) and even if they did, not everyone in each country can read the language or maybe they are just visiting a country so they could bring an issue from their own country so they can find a store while on holiday etc.

I say listings should stay but in a different format and should not take away pages that could be used for articles, but then lets be honest WD is just one big expensive advert now.

The boyz
02-06-2006, 16:42
I have used the store finder pages in WD before, so they have been of some use to me in the past. But now I think we could cut it down to every other issue or so. I agree with the idea about GW making a leaflet that you could pick up in store's, that sounds like a good idea. It would probably be of more use I think then the store finder pages in WD.

Misfratz
02-06-2006, 17:58
I'd like to say two things about this:

Firstly, GW obviously want to bend over backwards to make it as easy as possible for people to buy their stuff. After all if they didn't sell anything they'd go out of business. Consequently the store listing and the Online Store adds have to stay. It's worth considering that they'd make the biggest difference to complete newcomers to GW who won't have already worked out the local places they can find GW stuff [that's how I remember it from years ago].

Secondly, it is completely delusional to imagine that the store listing pages would be replaced by actual hobby content - scenarios, conversion articles, etc, etc. As has been demonstrated by the noticeable decline in WD quality since their cutbacks, the amount of material in WD is determined by the number of man-hours they have available to create that content. Getting rid of the store listing wouldn't enable them to hire a new WD staffer to write new content for them.

My question is: What would be the point of getting rid of the store listing?

Rik Valdis
02-06-2006, 18:40
I've used those listings quite a bit, I think they should stay in some form. I reckon having a list of GW stores (1 page) in every issue and then everything else available online and every few months in WD. In-store leaflets would cost money and so won't happen. Of course with WD as it is the listings would be replaced by pictures of the giant, so to be honest I'd rather leave them there.