PDA

View Full Version : A Mecenary Codex

Duel_Crisis
31-05-2006, 19:57
REading over some of the threads here on the lack of varity, and devolpment, even a few posts that wished to see the return of rouge traders, or new Xenos armies.. I started thinking, hey why not a codex that gives GW the chance to release new races, or give rules on how to play Aux./Mercs already in fluff? Why not release an official Mercenary Codex that gives conceise rules, a few lists of different Mercenary Armies while not scarficing anymore time then what they'd use on other codexies?

Acolyte
31-05-2006, 20:02
I'd like to see a merc codex, but I think it doesn't exist because pretty much any merc group could already be represented by existing codexes. I mean, human Mercs would just be one of the assorted IG lists (Either Codex with docs, or Catachans), Eldar mercs/pirates could be Dark or regular Eldar, the Farsight Enclaves aren't widely used enough to have their own codex, and Kroot Mercs are already free.

EDIT: And then there's LatD, which is pretty much the ideal Merc list.

Duel_Crisis
31-05-2006, 20:11
Well I was thinking more along the lines of underrepresented fluff races that can't fight at a galatic level but can be hired to fight in conflicts. I was going to ask for any such codex to contain a point to stat chart for conversion DIY aliens but decided that it would probably be a bad thing. Plus Mercs oughta have stuff that isn't standard issue, either above or below millitarie grade.

lord_blackfang
31-05-2006, 20:15
Makes no sense fluffwise. Except for Tau, all 40k races are too xenophobic to employ aliens.

Duel_Crisis
31-05-2006, 20:22
Makes no sense fluffwise. Except for Tau, all 40k races are too xenophobic to employ aliens.
Nonsense. Most races, except Orks, Nids, and Necrons, have ample reason and motive to use them. For the Eldar it spares it keeps Eldar alive, for the Humans, it keeps men in the munitions factory and out of xenos hands, for the Dark Eldar they seem willing enough to buy slaves, thus slave traders and raiders come into play. Any of them are pragmatic enough to see the oppertunity to see an Xenos privateers do damage to enemy conveys. Some might even like that mecenaries get thinned out.

Grimtuff
31-05-2006, 20:28
Nonsense. Most races, except Orks, Nids, and Necrons, have ample reason and motive to use them. For the Eldar it spares it keeps Eldar alive, for the Humans, it keeps men in the munitions factory and out of xenos hands.

Not true, Eldar are arrogant SOB's at the best of times, so being totally convinced of their own superiority they won't really employ aliens.

Those men in the muntions factories will be there anyway, they're not meant to fight, if they are forced into a PDF the local Preachers will be breathing down the neck of the Government, so no Xenos help there, lest you be branded a Heretic.

Duel_Crisis
31-05-2006, 20:43
Not true, Eldar are arrogant SOB's at the best of times, so being totally convinced of their own superiority they won't really employ aliens.

Those men in the muntions factories will be there anyway, they're not meant to fight, if they are forced into a PDF the local Preachers will be breathing down the neck of the Government, so no Xenos help there, lest you be branded a Heretic.
The Kroot have been known to fight for the Imperial Gaurd (says in the Kroot Mercenary list) though, and the Inquisition has been known to employ Xenos Bounty Hunters. You say the Eldar are arrogant but they are known for not doing their own dirty work.

Easy E
31-05-2006, 21:44

I will point you and anyone else who is interested to this old thread on Mercenaries in 40K and how they should/could be represented.

As far as a Codex goes, there are several reasona why we won't see one:
1. "Counts As" Rules
2. Sculpt a limited line of miniatures
3. Balance issues
4. Limited Studio Resources

impending slaughter
31-05-2006, 21:53
I kinda think this would make a good merc list.

http://www.patrolclash.org.uk/pirateslist.htm

Ardathair
01-06-2006, 04:14
For the most part I agree with Easy E. GW doesn't need to make rules for them. If you wish to make house rules no one will stop you. The gameing police are far too interested in tracking down players who have not bought (paid their tithes to) GW minis recently.:D

Employ yes. Manipulate and use, why not? After all what are you to us, just more cattle to be slaughtered. Why not slaughter each other for our amusement?:evilgrin:

Eulenspiegel
01-06-2006, 08:45
I woldnīt like it. This seems very much like a way to get units that fill a gap in your army.

Tau with hardcore close combat troops?
Marines with indirect firing AP2 pie plates?
Imperial Guard with MEQ? (Yes you smartarse, I know about Ordo Malleus :p )

Of cause Duel_Crisis didnīt mean this, but all too often a selfmade unit with a sorry "fluff" background is only there to minimize your weaknesses.

Sai-Lauren
01-06-2006, 10:09
I woldnīt like it. This seems very much like a way to get units that fill a gap in your army.

And yet, what was one of the things mentioned in the recent White Dwarf fantasy DOW article?:p

You pick an army, you get its good points and its bad points (ok, some armies have less good and bad points than others do, but never mind).

Of course, there's nothing stopping you from arranging with an opponent that you're going to take units from multiple lists to represent your mercenary army (say a low level marine commander that's been exiled from his chapter, but is still loyal to the imperium as the leader - say he loses ATSKNF and Rites and the better wargear selections without having a points decrease, some guard platoons as troops - with limited weapons selections, a very small eldar ranger squad as an elite choice, weak VDR'ed armoured vehicles to represent obsolete equipment that they purchased on the black market, or things like an Ork warbuggy (with human crew) they've captured in battle and refitted etc), and play a game for the fun of it, but for regular army lists, where you can choose everything and then some, no - too much opportunity for :cheese:

Tau with hardcore close combat troops?
Marines with indirect firing AP2 pie plates?

Kroot?
Iron Warriors? :D

Duel_Crisis
01-06-2006, 17:03
Thats why I backed off on the make your own mercenaries. Any mercenary army could also make it that leadership is more expensive in terms of points than regular armies, loyalty being detrimined by the size of their checks. (You want to fill a weakness? Well pay us a lot and we'll happily stay around, otherwise if it gets too tough we might just decide we don't want the job anymore...) These type of things being reflected in the points and abillities would go a long way to manage abuse of such rules.

Doomclaw
01-06-2006, 17:27
A mercenary list would be nice but the units would have to be overpriced to make them not compulsary choises for powergamers.

Duel_Crisis
01-06-2006, 18:12
A mercenary list would be nice but the units would have to be overpriced to make them not compulsary choises for powergamers.
Overpriced but not by much. Make upgrades and wargear slightly more expensive than for regular armies, but give them a wider range of options. Make normal tanks less expensive but less competent. No rare weaponry, like Dreadnaughts or Wraithlords or Space Marine Artifacts. Also limit which mercenaries can and cannot work with each other. Checks and balances are something that can be controlled without over complicating. Mostly I want to see a new range of various models.:D

Doomclaw
01-06-2006, 18:28
I would cactually like the mercenary codex to only include units which could be mercenary, and with hefty limitations on them.

Most units would be new alien races with a guide on how to convert them.

Easy E
01-06-2006, 21:55
I would cactually like the mercenary codex to only include units which could be mercenary, and with hefty limitations on them.

Most units would be new alien races with a guide on how to convert them.

I agree completely. IF a mercenary codex were to be explored, it should be used to expand the universe and not just re-hash existing stuff.

keatsmeister
03-06-2006, 17:54
I'm a big supporter of having mercenaries in 40K, as anyone who's read my umpteen versions of a mercenary list will testify.

Mercenaries are a natural extension of the whole concept of wargaming. For every conflict there is someone willing to fight on each side for their own ends, and not necessarily just financial gain.

With regards to the argument of mercenaries being used to plug gaps left in a force's capabilities. A true list will mean that whilst a unit may fill one gap, it will create at least as many, and will not perform to the same level it would in the context of a full mercenary force.

You can also experiment with restrictions on the mercenary units. For example, kills achieved or objectives captured by mercenary units only count in the event of a tie, or only contribute half of the normal victory points.

In reference to the issue of sculpting a new range of models for an army that may have limited appeal. An answer I proposed a couple of years ago was that we create generic sprues of torsos, limbs and wargear. Just imagine being able to go into your local GW, and pick up a boxset of wargear. All those lasweapons, combat weapons, shotguns, shuriken weapons etc. It would be a perfect starter kit for people new to the hobby to create their own conversions, as several key units do not come with their own model range, eg IG Veterans. As for the torsos and limbs, take 3 generic physique sizes, a human-like physique, a slightly bulkier physique, and one more lithe. You then have a range that allows creativity in generating Xeno forces, but provides a solid platform for WYSIWYG to be applied. The wargear sets alone would be worth it as a long term addition to the range

Looking forward to seeing your ideas. In the meantime, I'm going to go find what I did with all my old mercenary lists; I still hadn't re-worked those slaver units yet...