PDA

View Full Version : I have Cities of Death and I'm willing to give info on stratagems

paddyalexander
01-06-2006, 03:54
I've already posted general rule changes elsewhere (do a search for posts by me, there's not many :-)).
I've had the book for a week so I'll give info on any of the stratagems requested but won't post all of them for two reasons:

1 I don't want to be sued by GW.

2 Too much to type plus I don't want to be just repeating stuff posted elsewhere on the site.

I'll be back here after 6pm GMT and will answer as many queries as I can. Sorry for leaving this late (there's only 2 days left till the offical release).

Simply name a stratagem or a rule that was in City Fight and I'll give you an overview or tell you in what for that rule has been implemented in CoD.

unclejimbo827
01-06-2006, 04:50
I think everyone pretty much knows what to expect.

tanglethorn
01-06-2006, 05:52
All will be known in 3-4 days anyway

AgentZero
01-06-2006, 06:55
Not everyone in those 3 or 4 days will have the material or access to the material, so instead of thinking only about yourself remain on topic and ask questions about City Fight/City of Death stuff.:mad:

I've already heard most of the changes from City Fight to CoD.
What I want to know is how strong the phase will be.
It's a tad pricey for a lot of people to get the required terrain to get a good game going.
Fans of City Fight will probably have a headstart.
I play on a 6x4 table covered in terrain. It's great fun.
But how many people, or even stores, for that matter, will have the stomache to get a lot of the terrain?

City Fight came and went all too fast.
"City what?"

It's an awesome format and extremely fluffy, but it requires a little more effort to get into. I just hope more people stick with it this time. It's very hard to find City Fight games outside my circle.
Just like Space Hulk back in the day. Fun as heck, hard to find people to play after a while.:(

starlight
01-06-2006, 07:05
Flipped through the Store copy today and overall at first glance, I was impressed.:D

I'm looking forward to the improvements over Cityfight. Quite a bit has been cleaned up and tweaked for the better.

Good job on this one.:D

razzi
01-06-2006, 07:55
So, Im just regisered (reading warseer for 1+year as guest) only to ask few questions about COD rules ;)
(not asking about direct rule quotes, just infos if the rules are there and if they are good and well playable)

How infiltracion stratagem/ infiltracion rule works? Do you have pay twice for infiltracion, once in army list for giving it to unit and second by using stratagem slot to use it?

Are stratagem optional rules or bonded to each mission?

Are there any other rules / optional rules / rule changes / army list changes?

In deployment through tunnel, are there any rules regarding model placing? (like teleport termies one central and other in b2b contact) Did they thought about units of 30 gaunts deployed in weird formations from tunnel to prevent moving around? ....

What about rules for new equipment? Are they any?

Are there any standard (non optional) rules for number of terrain on COD table, procedure of terrain placing and deployment zone choosing?

Any hints about what to do when you are unable to deploy unit? (your deployment zone is full of terrain+models, you are not able to infiltrate 12 nor 18 ...)

Are there any standartized dimensions for terrains / barricades / buildings ... or recomended templates?

Thank you very much for responses :)

starlight
01-06-2006, 07:57
Check the FAQ (top left) but briefly - no posting of Rules on Warseer.:eyebrows:

Varath- Lord Impaler
01-06-2006, 08:01
I really love that bit of artwork which shows the Imperial city, that is very awsome. Just one question though, where do the people go? :p

Kensai X
01-06-2006, 08:14
I heard a rumor that anyone a squad that contains a sniper combined with the the Master Snipers Strategem can ignore cover saves is that true? Sounds unlikely, but would be absolutely great for my Tanith based army...

Also what all does combat engineers include, and are the Imperial Guard squad still able to split into fire squads?

Mojaco
01-06-2006, 08:33
@ Kensai: No, just the sniper weapons
@ Varath: Off-table
@ Razzi: Double, Bonded, hardly changes (mostly about blast templates/building interaction and destroying buildings), Sewer basicly works like a table edge, equipment conversions aplenty with strategems, but no "+1 pt for rope" like stuff, there are terrain placement rules, no solution (but seriously, stop placing your men 2" apart :)), no (the rules work with anything you can come up with) although I'd stick to 3" diverence between levels.
@ Agent Zero: I really think this will be a massive success. It's not like you play with cityfight rules like before. You play with strategems at best, basicly just adding some special rules to your army or the table; It's not a different game anymore. And the terrain support is endlessly better then before.

Awesome, awesome book coupled with great buildings. The City of Death deal really impressed me.

Isambard
01-06-2006, 08:50
There are plenty of abilities you will need to have a strategem to make use of. There is also something for everyone.

The best thing about the Strategems (and this was in WD) is that they are all optional and can be chosen as late as you wish (you can even use strategems to react to the strategems the opponent has chosen, he takes X so I will take Y).

It really is a superb suppliment.

waxfrance
01-06-2006, 09:48
Cities of Death is out, here, in France. I can say that GW has made a really good work. Stratagems are well balanced and the game won't change a lot. It really looks like the old V2 with the strategic cards. Forget the old version, and look at this one. Sincerely, you can buy it with eyes closed ^_^

{A7X}
01-06-2006, 11:45
does the book come with pictures of consepts for strategems? ie, if you wanted to make an Ork strategem for generator does it come with a picture of someone who has already made one as an example (and yes i know, Ork generator would be quite easy, its only an example)

Chem-Dog
01-06-2006, 17:27
Yes and no, there are some examples of what various stratagems could be, as cobled together by various studio bods (one assumes), but there isn't a fixed definition of what any of them are. To show every stratagem that requires a marker for every possible race would take up pages, I fully intend to do a complete set for my own army though.

{A7X}
01-06-2006, 18:25
well so far ive done power generator and fortified buildings for my necrons and they turned out really good.

i also wanna know what sacred ground does. Please :)

RampagingRavener
01-06-2006, 18:33
Oh, I think I remember that from seeing the book for a breif period. IIRC, then every unit withing 6" can choose to count as having the Counter-Attack or Stuborn ability each turn. Might be wrong though.

Murrithius
01-06-2006, 18:34
You should see my Orky demolitions marker! :D

paddyalexander
01-06-2006, 18:54
How infiltracion stratagem/ infiltracion rule works? Do you have pay twice for infiltracion, once in army list for giving it to unit and second by using stratagem slot to use it?

>>Stratagems don't cost points, but yes if you purchase infiltration or deepstrike as an upgrade for a squad then to use it you have to pick said stratagem.

Are stratagem optional rules or bonded to each mission?

You get to choose whatever stratagems you want but are restricted to between 1 & 3 depending on the level of the mission

Are there any other rules / optional rules / rule changes / army list changes?

>>I've already listed these changes in a thread called "City of Death Strategems"

In deployment through tunnel, are there any rules regarding model placing? (like teleport termies one central and other in b2b contact) Did they thought about units of 30 gaunts deployed in weird formations from tunnel to prevent moving around? ....

>>Deployment from sewer markers is the same as deploying from a table edge.

What about rules for new equipment? Are they any?

>> No, all the old wargear is now represented using stratagems. Tarauntula turrets are history. There's some that effect all infantry units or skimmer transports and give them new abilities.

Are there any standard (non optional) rules for number of terrain on COD table, procedure of terrain placing and deployment zone choosing?

>>The level of the game gives a minimum and maximum number of buildings as well as the size of the table. All of the standard missions use table quarters for deployment. When deploying Troops come before Heavy.

Any hints about what to do when you are unable to deploy unit? (your deployment zone is full of terrain+models, you are not able to infiltrate 12 nor 18 ...)

>>Deployment zones are table quarters so this shouldn't be a problem.

Are there any standartized dimensions for terrains / barricades / buildings ... or recomended templates?

>>The rules in the Book are based around the dimensions of the New GW terrain. Its recommended that if your scratch building your own buildings to try to adopt similer dimensions (3" between levels... thats it really)

PS. I'm not going to post rules but will discuss them or give general information to people whom are seeking specivic info.

boogle
01-06-2006, 19:46
Got all of my stuff today from my local shop, nice book, like the way everything is simply explained

The Judge
01-06-2006, 19:56
I love the Ork medical centre... with whirling axes and bear-traps! definately making a full set for my Eldar and Guard.

Mr. Shadowsun
01-06-2006, 21:02
i just got home from my local store's gaming night, and had the chance to play one of the staff at one of the new scenarios. now to be fair he is greatly superior to me and i always find it a struggle to guess his strategy, but this is all a part of the game. but some of the things in the book, especially the more cramped board and strategems can force you to change your normal plans drastically. it's a new challenge that will take some time to ajust to, but i feel that it will be worth it in the long run. all i can say is watch out for sewer rats.

paddyalexander
02-06-2006, 00:34
A7X

Sacred ground merly makes one unit in the building its played on stubborn.

unheilig
02-06-2006, 00:44
i swore off 40k long ago.

but this... this... this cannot be resisted.

i will star playing 40k again, and spend ridiculous amounts of money on an army and this new amazing terrain.

starlight
02-06-2006, 00:47
<evil cackling laughter>

Bwahahahahahahaaaaaaa.......:evilgrin:

</evil cackling laughter>

Once more into the breach, dear friend.:D

Mojaco
02-06-2006, 09:56
Yes, Sewer rats are very nasty. My personal favorites:
Preliminary bombardment
Medicae Facility
Booby Traps
Barricades

But that's the great thing of this new city fight; I can switch to whoever I fight! I like very much.

Jonik
02-06-2006, 10:07
Are these strategems cityfight only?

Ironhand
02-06-2006, 13:22
Yes - Cities of Death games only.

starlight
02-06-2006, 17:57
At least in structured GW environments. With your mates, you can do whatever you want....just like always.:D

I'm planning to try integrating the Catachan Devils rules into an Urban Jungle Light Infantry force.:D

maraxis
02-06-2006, 20:53
Interesting. I am going to the Havard Square store to pick up a copy this weekend, but do the strategum cost any points for the army or are you alloted x slots/choices per army???

DragonPup
02-06-2006, 21:03
Interesting. I am going to the Havard Square store to pick up a copy this weekend, but do the strategum cost any points for the army or are you alloted x slots/choices per army???
AFAIK, the number depends on the mission level and do not cost points.

Bregalad
03-06-2006, 09:41
Yes, they cost nothing. Both sides chose the same number of stratagems before the game and state it at the beginning. Alpha one stratagem each, Gamma 2, Omega 3. Board size and number of houses also varies with mission level.

Brightstar
03-06-2006, 13:39
So, can anybody give a list of all the stratagems and short description on what they do?

Bregalad
03-06-2006, 21:27
You will find the answer here:
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35186&page=10
Any more detailed description would violate GW's intellectual property and is therefore prohibited by forum rules (cf. stickies on top of the page)

Charax
03-06-2006, 21:40
I never did find out what Combat Engineers does.

N0-1_H3r3
03-06-2006, 21:41
I never did find out what Combat Engineers does.
Basically, it encompasses a number of rules from the old Cityfight. All Infantry models benefit from it, gaining Breaching Charges (identical to the wargear of the same name from Cityfight) and Smoke Grenades, among other things.

boogle
04-06-2006, 00:21
played my 1st game of Cityfight (1750 points of Elysians and 750 points of Marines vs 2500 of Tau), worked great, really enjoyed it, and the strategems make the game more fun (although Sewer Rats will be VERY popular), was plesently surprised to have lots of my Elysians still left on the table at the end of the game, and 5 undamaged Sentinels.

By the way, SM Veterans are brutal, 5 man squad with LC,PW and PF took out an Aun's Bodyguard and another Fire Warrior squad in CC, thanks to the Sewer Rats strategem (this managed to get us the draw in tha Assassins scenario)

We also played with 4 Strategems per side (2 for me and 2 for my partner and 4 for my friends defending Tau, and it didn't overbalance the game at all)

Gethalorre
04-06-2006, 12:03
What Stratagems did you pick?

Hlokk
04-06-2006, 13:22
OK, I have a question. Theres a stratagem that lets you add +1 to the strength of flame weapons (flamers and heavy flamers). does this work on vehicle mounted flame weapons such as catachan pattern sentinals and immolators? also, does it have any impact on the hellhound?

@Boogle, that avatar of yours is really, really freaky.

Gethalorre
04-06-2006, 14:05
Yes, and yes.

boogle
04-06-2006, 22:15
What Stratagems did you pick?
Well the Tau Player picked Medicae Facility for the building his Aun was in, 2Ammo Dumps and a Fortifications for the same building as the Medicae Facility, I picked a Power Generator and Drop Troops (I have Elysians), and my partner picked an Ammo Dump and Sewer Rats, and it was that strategem that allowed us to win the game effectively

oh and the ideas of S5 Flamers, S6 Heavy Flamers and S7 Hellhounds really appeal to me

Ironhand
04-06-2006, 22:49
LOL - you and every other IG player :D. I think IG are going to be a lot tougher in Cities of Death games, if they're well played.

paddyalexander
06-06-2006, 00:05
As I'm mainly playing Orks at the moment I'll post the list of stratagems I plan to use. These are flexible and will proberbly be changed depending on the mission/opponent.

Main Stratagem:

Sewer Rats - this allows my boyz to enter from reserves trough markers placed around the table.

Optional Stratagems:

Ammo Store - allows one unit of boyz inside the marked building to re-roll their shooting. Useful for flash gits, tankhuntas and boyz with 3 big shootas.

Combat Engineers - gives all of your infantry usefull abilities suce as smoke gernades & jammers.

lord_blackfang
06-06-2006, 00:12
Ammo Store - allows one unit of boyz inside the marked building to re-roll their shooting. Useful for flash gits, tankhuntas and boyz with 3 big shootas.

Lootas. OMG. Lootas.

russian
06-06-2006, 00:24
LOL - you and every other IG player :D. I think IG are going to be a lot tougher in Cities of Death games, if they're well played.

yep the other day had a few games is quite hard to shift a imperial guard unit with camelion cloaks out of fortified buidlings, and doesnt the power gen make any template weapons +1 strength not just flamers(is getting my book when i get paid,and the void shilds are crumbling on the scenery) was annoyed though that i had my lunch break at work at 12:20 was in my local gw by 12:40 on the release day and all the other regulars had brought all the urbanbasing kits grr

paddyalexander
06-06-2006, 03:25
remember that most stratagems can only effect a single unit per turn and that a unit can only benifit from one a turn. Plus you can only have one Building stratagem per ruin.

paddyalexander
06-06-2006, 03:27
the power gen allows rerolls to wound. the fuel dump adds one to the str of template weapons.

bratbag
06-06-2006, 14:27
remember that most stratagems can only effect a single unit per turn and that a unit can only benifit from one a turn. Plus you can only have one Building stratagem per ruin.

I may be wrong, because my CoD codex is at home, but fortifying a building doesnt count as a Building Stratagem :wtf: so you can infact have a fortified building with an ammo dump, or a fuel supply...or a power gen.

konate
06-06-2006, 15:02
Any word on the breakdown of the sprues in the "Imperial City" boxed set?

Destris
06-06-2006, 15:13
Already been covered in a few other threads, but as its one of your first posts its -

8 sanctum
8 generic floor
6 manufactorium
6 administratum

giving you 4 sanctum, 3 administratum an 3 manufactorium, but u have 2 be careful with floor usage.

I managed to compensate with my set though, no major problem with floor shortage :D

DarkReaper40k
06-06-2006, 17:07
I really look forward to CoD, been saving up form core, bitz and odd and ends to make up some really crazy city terrain.

No worries about posting rules to me, I'll have the book by the end of the week no doubt and be devouring all its juicy contents soon after.

I thank you though for your kindness!

boogle
06-06-2006, 21:16

Only if you obey the rules to the letter of the law, we had great fun using them as guidelines

Promethius
07-06-2006, 14:56
Slightly off topic, but can somebody summerise briefly whether the background in this book differs from the previous incarnation, and whether (as somebody who buys codecii 90% of the time for new fluff) it is worth me getting this book? If the fluff is a simple re-print job I'll hold off buying it. Thanks.

Morathi's Darkest Sin
07-06-2006, 19:23
I was at a GW today and I wasn't aware that the 40 Cities of Death box was a limited release.. Couldn't get one instore, but I just nabbed one off Online. Although more worringly was the fact the Stratagem bits aren't on the Online Store at the moment, neither are the Urban Basing Kits.. they can't have sold out already???

starlight
07-06-2006, 19:27
Here in Canada, they aren't out until later in the month. Heck CoD isn't out until tomorrow (except the actual City box which only the Retail stores were blessed with:mad:).

http://ca.games-workshop.com/news/cn/Announcements/ask_DS/DS_articles/June06Releases/DS_40k_June06.htm

Supposedly only the Book, Sector and possibly individual buildings will continue beyond the Splash.:( Most likely through Direct Services, but it depends on how quickly sales fall off.

t-tauri
07-06-2006, 19:31
I was at a GW today and I wasn't aware that the 40 Cities of Death box was a limited release.. Couldn't get one instore, but I just nabbed one off Online. Although more worringly was the fact the Stratagem bits aren't on the Online Store at the moment, neither are the Urban Basing Kits.. they can't have sold out already???
Urban basing kits apparently sold out inside hours in the shops. The strategems kit is out of stock as I'm still waiting for my preorder. The use of resin in main GW products seems to have caused a resin armageddon where anything with resin in is delayed and out of stock. Clearly capacity has been exceded.

I've two Forgeworld orders late plus the stategems kit nearly a week late. Has anyone actually received Inquisitor Lok yet?

CaputMortuum
09-06-2006, 10:27
Ouch.. That shouldn't happen.
Although, the delays and sold outs will probably only add to the hype in a positive way.

caput

jack the red
09-06-2006, 10:35
I didn't think that the Urban basing kits were out until later this week.

Well, in Oz anyway.

Farseerixirvost
09-06-2006, 17:34
Stratagem bits aren't on the Online Store at the moment, neither are the Urban Basing Kits.. they can't have sold out already???

I ordered 2 stratagem sets, one came, the other is on backorder to be shipped in "4-6 weeks".

Tim
09-06-2006, 18:30
The limited runs only hurt GW in the long run. When the Tau Piranha came out in a 3 pack, I managed to get one, but the $25 price tag for one means if I hadn't gotten 3 for 50 ($40on line) I would not have bought more than one. The point is if the demand says we the customers will buy 10,000 sets and GW makes only 5,000, then GW is hurting itself bad, market wise. It actually hurts interest in a product if only a few can purchase it. Those who wanted it but were un-able to buy it will be resentful of the company. Also the "scalpers" (those who snarf up a lot to resell at an inflated price on e-bay) make matters even worse. If GW would increase its limited run quantities for the good stuff it would have a lot more happy customers.

paddyalexander
09-06-2006, 19:43
Promethius:

The background material in the book is a re-hash of Hades Hive from Armageddon.

The assualt on the palace of thorns, this has been available in White Dwarf in any material refrencing the Badab Crusade.

The only completly new material is from the battle of Polia which refrences the Nimbosa massacer.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Destris
09-06-2006, 21:46
@ t-tauri - nope. still not got mine. there must be some kind of resin frenzy,

Promethius
10-06-2006, 10:39
Promethius:

The background material in the book is a re-hash of Hades Hive from Armageddon.

The assualt on the palace of thorns, this has been available in White Dwarf in any material refrencing the Badab Crusade.

The only completly new material is from the battle of Polia which refrences the Nimbosa massacer.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for that. Sounds like I'll give this one a miss then!

lord_blackfang
10-06-2006, 11:06
I was in Fantasylandia (http://www.fantasy.it/home.html), an indy store in Trieste yesterday and they still had plenty of basing kits and even Imperial City boxes.

ashc
10-06-2006, 11:17
Just thought i would put that i have started a discussion on the usefulness of stratagems here (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38828)

Ash