PDA

View Full Version : All Spider army playable?

Rabid Bunny 666
01-06-2006, 14:04
well, obviously on paper, but is it playable? My main concern is that 4 will set me back 100 points, and thats not an awful lot of models in LOTR, so if anyone can help me out, i'd be grateful.

Gondorian
01-06-2006, 14:20
I'm thinking of Spider Queen, 4 giant spiders and two bat swarms for 250pts.
I'm doing this coz a table at my local hobby centre is 90percent woods, with a great big cliff upon which elven archers lie and I'm sick to death of my goblins chasing shadows.
They're great against wood elves as they can run rings round them in their own terrain. If I expand this army to 500pts I'll put in some wild wargs as they can move 5inches in difficult terrain and can basically help me encircle the entire army. Maybe a castallen if I can fit him in.
Good against wood elves not sure about anything else.

The Judge
01-06-2006, 15:08
Main problem is the courage, and of course the low defence. Add them together and you get an army that ain't gonna stick around for long once the arrows start hitting it.

Rabid Bunny 666
01-06-2006, 16:12
I like refused flank tactics, and i thought they would work well with this with the compacted numbers and combat skills.

primarch16
01-06-2006, 21:12
I had the same Idea today, in 600 points I could have two spider queens and 18 giant spiders. I would probaby have to dropa few spiders and maybe 1 queen and make a warg force to accompany them, but I' would probably do the spider idea just because spiders are big and scary :D. And besides, it wouldnt be to hard to avoid arrows 'coz you can dodge through terrain at full speed.

Pertinax
01-06-2006, 23:29
The spider queen is a named hero, so you can only have one of her. Just like Shelob.

Gondorian
02-06-2006, 00:05
It might be an idea, if slightly unthemed, to take Shelob and the Spider Queen.

Avian
02-06-2006, 12:57
Why is that? One really big spider, one big spider, lots of large spiders and some tiny spiders. Sounds themed to me. :)

Gondorian
02-06-2006, 14:40
Yeah but techincally Shelob only haunts the passage to Mordor. There was a point where she was free with others of her kind but the book suggests that this was quite a long time ago.
Besides, the foreign spider queen would probably be intimidated by shelob and try to kill her.
I would still gladly play anyone with this army.

Damien 1427
02-06-2006, 16:08
well, obviously on paper, but is it playable? My main concern is that 4 will set me back 100 points, and thats not an awful lot of models in LOTR, so if anyone can help me out, i'd be grateful.

I'm suprised your main concern isn't aracnaphobes (Like myself) dousing your models in aerosol and setting them ablaze. Or taking a rolled up copy of the Sunday Times (With supplements!) to 'em. :p

Pertinax
02-06-2006, 22:48
Then again, all the really evil spiders came from Ungolant, so I guess that you could turn back the time scale a bit, and make soemthing out of that...?

primarch16
03-06-2006, 23:44
Nooo my list is ruined! As if they make the queen a named character. Ah well, looks like I'm making a spider army from cirith ungol, or maybe not, after all, shelob isnt really that good, one wound and shes on her way :rolleyes:.

Pertinax
04-06-2006, 07:42
Most definately not! Shelob is a bargin for 90 points!

She hits REALLY hard. She moved REALLY fast. She has LOTS of wounds.

AND best of all, she has SIX will to modify her courage checks with!

Shelob ROCKS!

Gondorian
04-06-2006, 11:58
I'm going to do a spider force with some wargs because it'll be quick to put together and will give me an edge against those wood elves.
The all spider force will only work well against wood elves, when facing any other force the low defense becomes a major concern.
I think against most opponents, it's nice to have a couple but only in support of the main army.

Pertinax
04-06-2006, 12:36
I would have thought that the Giant Spider's low defence would be poor against Elves, since they would likely get shot to bits before they do anything...

Gondorian
04-06-2006, 15:29
I'm not planning on making a head on attack. I plan on advancing from several sides at once using all available terrain to conceal my force. This makes the archers split their fire. I think I can avoid the worst of the fire especially as woodland means in the way rolls. I hope to isolate small groups of woodelves and pick em off one at a time.
If they bunch up I'll completely surround them and my wargs should rip through all but the most powerful of heroes, for whom I'm saving the Queen and a bat swarm.

primarch16
04-06-2006, 16:55
Most definately not! Shelob is a bargin for 90 points!

She hits REALLY hard. She moved REALLY fast. She has LOTS of wounds.

AND best of all, she has SIX will to modify her courage checks with!

Shelob ROCKS!

Good points, I withdraw my statement, shelob is pretty damn good. I forgot you could use will to modify your courage. Would it be really fluffy though? I thought shelob was the only child remaining, is it possible she could reproduce?

Pertinax
04-06-2006, 17:03
Reproduction denotes two sexes. Shelob is the last of the children of Ungolant. Shelob is a she.

Hence, to get Sheloblets, you need Mr. Shelob (Who was probably bread with and eaten long ago).

Neknoh
04-06-2006, 19:52
However, the Spider Queen and the Giant Spiders could well be decendants of Ungoliant, however, not in the first line (as that is only Shelob who's left), am I not correct in this?

primarch16
04-06-2006, 22:30
But its still the fact that they are down in Mirkwood and Shelob is in Cirith Ungol, so a force of them would'nt be very fluffy, even if they are all spiders...

Are we sure the spider queen is a named hero? 'Coz in black gobbo 66 it says 'With Evil players likely wanting multiple Spider Queens to lead a force', kind of suggests you can have more than one.

Pertinax
04-06-2006, 22:34
Well, it is under "Evil Heroes", and does have a name "The Spider Queen". It's a bit like having "The King of Denmark".

No?

Gondorian
04-06-2006, 23:02
I think it unlikely that one spider queen would allow the presence of another in such proximity. Surely one would kill the other for control of the spiders.

Avian
05-06-2006, 11:29
Well, it is under "Evil Heroes", and does have a name "The Spider Queen". It's a bit like having "The King of Denmark".

No?
Or "The King of the Dead" :p

It would be fun to field multiples of him, wouldn't it?

An all-spider force could be an "old age" army, couldn't it? With Shelob being the granny, the Spider Queen being her daughter (she could be, couldn't she?) and then lots of other Spider Kids running around. :D

Neknoh
05-06-2006, 11:49
Hrmm.. is it specified under the Spider Queens rules (or next to them) that they have included the option to field several Spider Queens in your army to represent the individual leaders etc. (like for Captains and Castellans)

Rabid Bunny 666
05-06-2006, 12:25
I'm suprised your main concern isn't aracnaphobes (Like myself) dousing your models in aerosol and setting them ablaze. Or taking a rolled up copy of the Sunday Times (With supplements!) to 'em. :p

Depends wether or not i muck up the paint job :D

Pertinax
05-06-2006, 14:08
Avian: I thought the king od Denmark and the King of the dead were pretty much the same thing... ;)

Neknoh: The Spider Queen does not have any indication that it is something like a captain. Instead, the "fluffy" bit of text by the side of the entry does clearly state that the Queen is the only one of her kind.

Now, I know that I'm taking fluff and metagaming it into rules, but it does serve to indicate that she is a named hero(ine).

primarch16
05-06-2006, 18:26
OK, may have to rethink this whole spider army idea, 2 might wont go very far in a big game.

Neknoh
05-06-2006, 18:57
Well... keep some snacks... I mean Orcs handy then, or perhaps a few goblins?

Gondorian
05-06-2006, 19:25
Well take a normal army, add two spiders, put them in the dense areas of the board. Your opponent now avoids them coz he knows that they'll get the pick of the first combat and he'll be drastically slowed in breakthrough missions.