PDA

View Full Version : GW shutting down external playtesting?

bigred
01-06-2006, 22:18
So over at DakkaDakka they have a somewhat incendiary thread going on regarding GW's (supposed) decision to shut down their external playtesting operation and move all playtesting to use inhouse folks.

While a fairly dull business decision in and of itself, it did get me thinking.

Lots of folks around here have hinted at being playtesters and of carefully hoarding their hard-earned insider information on upcoming products. After all, some would say, they could spill the beans, but then mighty GW would become upset and throw them out of the playtester pool. If everyone just got the axe however, I wonder what is holding back certain people's tongues?

Just musing...

-bigred

Damien 1427
01-06-2006, 22:21
Non-Disclosure Agreements.

Seems odd to me they'd do that, though, since surely using outside playtesters is cheaper than using ones that you have to, gasp, pay?

Charax
01-06-2006, 22:25
Yeah, but if you pay them, they're less likely to point out how appalling your latest product is.

bigred
01-06-2006, 22:26
Of course NDAs in general aren't worth the paper they are written on, especially with the additional burdon of differing international jurisdictions, and GW's previous policy of just freezing violators out of the playtesting pool. I have never seen the paper the playtesters signed, so I certainly couldn't speak to what penalties are laid out...

-bigred

luna wolf
01-06-2006, 22:26
yes but that would not be that good because the people up at hq arent aloud to tell a living soul anything they see any way.

t-tauri
01-06-2006, 22:27
I believe this has come up before and been rubbished by those in the know. i.e. the actual playtesters.

Brimstone
01-06-2006, 22:36
I believe this has come up before and been rubbished by those in the know. i.e. the actual playtesters.

That's my understanding as well.

As this is not 40K specific it's now heading down to the depths of other GW discussion.

Deadite
01-06-2006, 22:36
been discussed before...
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35998

Zzarchov
01-06-2006, 23:43
IF it were to happen.

1.) The playtesters wouldn't know till they didn't get called again.

2.) What would they spill about? they aren't playtesting anymore.

Griefbringer
02-06-2006, 16:11
If everyone just got the axe however, I wonder what is holding back certain people's tongues?

Honour, dignity and integrity?

Marshal Draziel
04-06-2006, 17:12
wow - who uses that in the current world? As I see it, most people today are even harde to trust or believe - people don't mean what they say, they're sarcastic, they lie - they tell on each other - So much for integrity and honour...

Sure - companies and firms need people who take that **** serious - but come on - only a small percentage of the populace does that. .. Most people today are just mean..

In this context - GW has shot off the playtesters - so my guess would be, that the current ones would talk about their "testing" - as a means of getting back at GW.... off course, people might not believe them or it might be old news - but they're still telling.

ah - had to get that off my chest.. pun mode over

Osbad
05-06-2006, 09:41
GW has shot off the playtesters - so my guess would be, that the current ones would talk about their "testing" - as a means of getting back at GW....

Or it could be that the situation still isn't finalised and playtesters are wondering where they stand exactly. Until they find out they are unlikely to comment for fear of breeching their NDA, and thereby losing several vital bodily functions...