PDA

View Full Version : WD302 - Chapter Approved - IG Doctrines - Afriel Strain?

rune
02-06-2006, 17:34
I wanted to inquire about this to see what you guys knew, as im recently returning to 40k, just painting miniatures, not up to date on the rules & dont play again yet. I'm making a cool themed human force with the IG rules. Anyways, I saw these chapter approved doctrines in white dwarf 302, and a couple caught my eye, particularly the "Afriel Strain".

The Afriel Strain is +5pts per unit and cant be combined with: die hards/chem halers/iron discipline. It gives them the rule "and they shall know no fear" but makes them count as a "preferred enemy" to the enemy.

What does the preferred enemy rule do to you? what bonus i mean .. does it give the enemy, who'd be every single one of my opponents if i took this doctrine?

And secondly .. if its chapter approved I can use it right? In GW sponsored stuff right? If i were to participate in an event in a GW store for example..

They'd be pretty sick for IG: Afriel Strain, Light Infantry, Veterans, Sharpshooters, Close Order Drill for doctrines.. :p

WacRonald
02-06-2006, 17:50
Afriel Strain require you to also buy the Abhumans doctrine, you'll need to drop one if you want it. They get 'And They Shall Know No Fear,' but always count as a 'prefered enemy.' I think thats all there was to it, can't remember the cost.

Gethalorre
02-06-2006, 17:54
Preferred enemy means you always get hit on a 3+ in combat.

Lyinar
02-06-2006, 18:35
Which happens to Guard most of the time anyway.

rune
02-06-2006, 18:55
true true.. and if i were specializing on a form of shooting anyways, this could work nicely. not the typical stand and blast heavy weapon army but a mobile, multi-chimera multi-veteran squad army of lots of close range firepower, like melta's and shotguns and things like that. There will be plenty of flamers also, and one of the two chimera's has a heavy flamer, the other a heavy bolter.

I think im going with this one.. and to think ive had the article sitting on my shelf for months.. i overlooked it at the time, lol.

Lyinar
02-06-2006, 19:00
My Afriel Strain army that I have on my "someday" list has two units of Veterans with shotguns and flamers. They're there to cause massive numbers of armour saves to be made before either falling back, or if the enemy squad is damaged enough, charging.

rune
03-06-2006, 09:30
Lyinar which sprue has plastic shotguns?

out of the IG sets..

SuperBeast
03-06-2006, 09:36
Unless specifically stated otherwise, Chapter Approved is always "official with opponent's permission".
Which is GW speak for "unofficial, we were drunk on a lunch break and had 5 minutes until the print deadline...":D

Lyinar
03-06-2006, 12:09
There are no plastic shotguns for Guardsmen. You have to do conversions.

I'd recommend either the arms from the plastic Space Marine Scouts, or just go with these guys. (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/cadvets.htm)

Grand Master Raziel
03-06-2006, 18:34
One downside to Afriel Strain you left out: can't take any Inquisitorial allies in an army with Afriel Strain troops. It's too bad abhuman doctrines are so prohibitively expensive, because I think they're cool, but not two doctrine points worth.