PDA

View Full Version : Best CCG ?

cornonthecob
13-08-2013, 10:23
There are quite a few collectible card games out there, what would you say is 'the best' ?

Three that come to mind are MTG (never really 'got it' myself but the art is nice and it has a insane following) , Pokémon the trading card game, a nice theme and with simple rules its easy to play but has a nice continuous update with all the newer games and Yu-Gi-Oh which started off quite good and then started spiralling with too many rules and additions.

Importman
13-08-2013, 13:28
The "Versus System" had so much potential. Then the mechanics got a but too complicated for fun and major super heroes not properly represented. Then it died a sudden death. Very sad indeed.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

danny-d-b
13-08-2013, 15:38
I've recently started playing magic, and I've actually quite enjoyed it- have a core group of friendly people to come alongside and train you in in, and actually it has quite a low level of learing to become competent at it (I've played about 10 games, and my gruel deck is working quite nicely- its probably nothing near a top level one but I'm liking it.
I think the biggestdiffrance between a card game and the wargame is that your not just spamming the best things and not every deck is exactly the same, I could just spam big powerfull things, but then i'd probably just get rushed

Lothlanathorian
14-08-2013, 07:40
The only CCGs I've ever really enjoyed were Battletech and Rage. Played a lot of MTG but never really enjoyed it.

Morathi's Darkest Sin
14-08-2013, 18:30
Living Card games have surpassed most CCG's I've played these days tbh. I still enjoy Legend of the Five Rings, Magic (although I was never much into compared to others) Babylon 5, Pokemon and I still have a massive soft spot for Jyhad/VampireTES. However these days I am really enjoying the FFG living games, Warhammer Invasion, and now Star Wars LCG are both amazing games, which seem to retain a fair amount of balance with the added bonus of no rarity concerns.

I'm considering getting the Game of Thrones one next.

BTJ
20-08-2013, 15:21
I enjoy Pokemon and Yugioh, but I think Magic is superior to them both. It has a lot more resource management, which I enjoy. That said, I find L5R to be best, if only because of the depth and strategy in the game. I have also play the GOT LCG, and with four players it's amazing good fun. Having the different small council positions is a brilliant touch IMO, and the four decks in the base set really capture each house nicely.

MasterDecoy
21-08-2013, 05:10
+1 to the lcgs netrunner is definatly a winner.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4

Chucklemoney
08-09-2013, 09:38
+1 to the lcgs netrunner is definatly a winner.

What this man says.

Great theme and mechanics

StygianBeach
09-09-2013, 15:18
Yugioh was great! I played it for about 8 years.

It is just a shame that the battle phase became so diluted and special summoning and destruction effects became so easy.

I would love to be able to remake Yugioh with balance in mind.

I tried playing Magic, but I hated the resource system. I enjoyed playing VS for a little bit, but it died before I really got the swing of it. I thought the VS resource system was better than Magics.

I really enjoyed Yugioh because there was no real resource system and you could place cards face down.

z4carlo
10-09-2013, 20:02
I'd seen the FFG LCG's about but never really looked into them, if you were going to recommend one of the LCG's which would it be?

Caiphas Cain
11-09-2013, 23:35
Yugioh was great! I played it for about 8 years.

It is just a shame that the battle phase became so diluted and special summoning and destruction effects became so easy.

I would love to be able to remake Yugioh with balance in mind.

I tried playing Magic, but I hated the resource system. I enjoyed playing VS for a little bit, but it died before I really got the swing of it. I thought the VS resource system was better than Magics.

I really enjoyed Yugioh because there was no real resource system and you could place cards face down.

I used to play a lot of Yugioh. The additions of synchro and xyz monsters really ramped up the power level of the game and made so many other decks/builds terrible. I switched to magic after being dissatisfied with the direction yugioh was taking and I've had a blast so far. You can get a decent deck for pretty cheap and if you already have friends who play, odds are that they'll help you out and give you some cards. It's a great game!

MasterDecoy
12-09-2013, 07:10
I'd seen the FFG LCG's about but never really looked into them, if you were going to recommend one of the LCG's which would it be?

As I mentioned before, netrunner is my favorite, both sides play differently and win through different means which keeps it ingesting.

Star wars is a combolicious game that plays very fast. Once again the different sides have different victory conditions. But they play rather similarly. It's a game where everything is broken, so nothing is.

Game of thrones is best played multilayer but has some very strong power builds that will leave the base decks in dust.

Invasion is the closest to magic I could think of, but it is very much a worker placement game.

Morathi's Darkest Sin
12-09-2013, 17:01
Tbh with the LCG's I picked up Stars Wars as it had just launched and seemed a good time to get on board, and Warhammer Invasion because it was Warhammer. Both play very well in my mind, as a veteran of games like Legend of the five Rings, Decipher's Star Trek and Star Wars, Magic, Blood Wars (still an old fave) and Jyhad/VTES I found them fun and accessible games.

I can fully believe that Netrunner and Game of Thrones also great to play as FFG are proving to me again and again (Got board games and RPG's of theirs as well) that they just know how to make good games.

Like I said above, its very satisfying knowing you aren't going to have to buy booster boxes just for a chance that you might get all the best rares, and actually odds on you'd need a couple of boxes.

With Stars Wars although you could buy multiple boxes, it really not necessary unless you plan on running multiple decks of the same type, you can happily run one of each faction Sith, Jedi, Imperial Navy, Alliance, Bounty Hunters and Smugglers just buying one of each set as it comes out. Heck the fourth mini pack just came out for Star Wars and I am already looking at needing to pull sections out of the decks, thus have more cards than I probably need. Although I'll keep on buying the packs for a tenner each time as some big characters haven't arrived yet. :)

Warhammer was a little more daunting as its been out a lot longer and there are a lot more packs. I had to force myself to hold off on buying too many, but would recommend you get the Dark Elf/High Elf expansion with the main starter if you took a look. At this point I have the Starter, High/Elf and Legends (had to have Morathi) expansions and have collected up about eight of the mini packs and really have a crazy amount of cards. Warhammer seems to have a few more instances of only get one card in a expansion making it a question do I get a second for another one, but the mini packs always come with three of each which is the most you can have in a deck. So like Star Wars unless you start wanting a second Dark Elf deck, you can make do mostly with one of each.

I'd seriously suggest any dedicated CCG fans give them a chance, they have totally won me over.

MarkNorfolk
12-09-2013, 17:47
I don't play CCGs any more. But the two I really liked were the original Star Wars CCG by Decipher, and the Babylon 5 CCG. Both gone now of course.

Cheers
Mark

StygianBeach
14-09-2013, 10:46
I used to play a lot of Yugioh. The additions of synchro and xyz monsters really ramped up the power level of the game and made so many other decks/builds terrible.

Yugioh was good for a many years after Yata and Chaos was banned. Then there was too many underpowered sets released. Then Power of Darkness hit, and things got ridiculous. It has been a continuous upward roller coaster since PoD.
When a good card like Mystic Tomato becomes outmoded then you know something is wrong with Yugion.
I enjoyed the old balance of Effect vs Attack Power of 200 or less (Treeborn). 1000 (Sangan). 1400 (Tomato/Don). 1600 (Hydrogeddon). 2100 (Cyber Dragon). 2400 (Jinzo).

Goyo Guardian hit the field at 2800 with an effect which was previously only held by Red Moon Baby a monster with only 700 attack. Syncro effect vs Attack power balance was out of control from the start.
I stopped paying attention to Yugioh just as XYZs became good. I have only started to look at Yugioh again recently and I think it needs a reboot.
The game is alot of fun casually and with a limited card pool.

I dont think I could enjoy Magic because of the Lands resource system, it was the reason I did not start playing in the 90's and when ever I try and play a game it still bugs me. So many dead draws.

Badbones777
09-10-2013, 02:33
What this man says.

Great theme and mechanics

Indeed - gets better and better, and I've a ton of deck ideas to tr, but have stayed true to my Jinteki deck, tinkering here and there
since almost the start of playing Netrunner!

Badbones777
09-10-2013, 02:35
Tbh with the LCG's I picked up Stars Wars as it had just launched and seemed a good time to get on board, and Warhammer Invasion because it was Warhammer. Both play very well in my mind, as a veteran of games like Legend of the five Rings, Decipher's Star Trek and Star Wars, Magic, Blood Wars (still an old fave) and Jyhad/VTES I found them fun and accessible games.

I can fully believe that Netrunner and Game of Thrones also great to play as FFG are proving to me again and again (Got board games and RPG's of theirs as well) that they just know how to make good games.

Like I said above, its very satisfying knowing you aren't going to have to buy booster boxes just for a chance that you might get all the best rares, and actually odds on you'd need a couple of boxes.

With Stars Wars although you could buy multiple boxes, it really not necessary unless you plan on running multiple decks of the same type, you can happily run one of each faction Sith, Jedi, Imperial Navy, Alliance, Bounty Hunters and Smugglers just buying one of each set as it comes out. Heck the fourth mini pack just came out for Star Wars and I am already looking at needing to pull sections out of the decks, thus have more cards than I probably need. Although I'll keep on buying the packs for a tenner each time as some big characters haven't arrived yet. :)

Warhammer was a little more daunting as its been out a lot longer and there are a lot more packs. I had to force myself to hold off on buying too many, but would recommend you get the Dark Elf/High Elf expansion with the main starter if you took a look. At this point I have the Starter, High/Elf and Legends (had to have Morathi) expansions and have collected up about eight of the mini packs and really have a crazy amount of cards. Warhammer seems to have a few more instances of only get one card in a expansion making it a question do I get a second for another one, but the mini packs always come with three of each which is the most you can have in a deck. So like Star Wars unless you start wanting a second Dark Elf deck, you can make do mostly with one of each.

I'd seriously suggest any dedicated CCG fans give them a chance, they have totally won me over.

Yup - and I say this as someone who has everything to date for Starwars, Netrunner, Winvasion AND Cthulhu - it's just a better format, and the total layout is still less than it would be to get everything for Yu-i-oh or whatever.

Sotek
09-10-2013, 02:55
MTG modern format and EDH. No major cash scrabble after the initial investment unlike standard which can be Ł200 every 3 months..

Nymie_the_Pooh
09-10-2013, 06:34
I still have a bunch of Versus cards for both Marvel and DC. Speaking of comic book card games, I have fallen in love with the LCG Sentinels of the Multiverse. I recommend giving it a try if you have the chance.

Caiphas Cain
11-10-2013, 04:46
MTG modern format and EDH. No major cash scrabble after the initial investment unlike standard which can be Ł200 every 3 months..

Yeah, I can't understand why people would play standard. I don't have an EDH deck yet because I'm a noob and have like six good cards, but those games are crazy fun.

Neodymium
14-10-2013, 14:35
MTG player here. I've played:

Pokemon
Harry Potter
Yu Gi Oh
Magic the Gathering

Yu Gi Oh was when I properly started building decks with a dedicated structure. Dark Magician Deck, Black Luster/Chaos deck then finally a Gravekeeper Deck. Didn't want to keep playing as I discovered Warhammer 40,000 and my money went into that. The TV show got me into it. Loveable characters and an amusing storyline.

Magic is something I've been playing for a couple of years now and spent very little on. But I've still got a host of decks and cards. Which is great lots of variety. Cards from Alpha up to Theros. :)

I prefer Magic out of these. Though if Yu Gi Oh hadn't gone down the synchro/xyz route I think it would be a stronger game. They just seem daft and over the top.

Lillia
01-10-2014, 01:46
I still have a bunch of Versus cards for both Marvel and DC. Speaking of comic book card games, I have fallen in love with the LCG Sentinels of the Multiverse. I recommend giving it a try if you have the chance.

A better game than Versus is The Universals Fighting System. Much better mechanic, and awesome fighting game licenses like Street Fighter, Mega Man, Soul Calibur, Tekken, etc.

I wish there were more people that played it. I'm in LA, and I'm always looking for someone who's into it :cries: