PDA

View Full Version : Oh dear...

Yorkiebar
03-06-2006, 10:11
Just found this on the UK site (see attached image). Apparently if you don't play cityfight, you don't play 40K... :rolleyes:

god octo
03-06-2006, 10:14
GW polls never have a no vote. i guess its so that people go "look at that poll, lots of people are buying the buildings, i better do to!"

Smoking Frog
03-06-2006, 10:51
Just found this on the UK site (see attached image). Apparently if you don't play cityfight, you don't play 40K...

Wow... what do I play? :confused: :cries:

Death Mallet? :p

Isn't this how the GW boards operate? They should have a "Yes, I'm strapped to a chair while a dominatrix is force feeding me Cities of Death buildings". That'll have me buying them up any day! :evilgrin:

Hlokk
03-06-2006, 11:03
GW Marketing strikes again!!! :rolleyes:

I think God Octo's hit it on the head with this one, its a tool to make people think everyone else is doing it so they should too.

strv
03-06-2006, 11:35
They should have a, "no, I stopped playing gw games becaus of these stupid polls with no "no" options".

EvC
03-06-2006, 12:17
Heh, someone brought this up a poll or two ago (I think it was, "will you be buying Lucius the Eternal?", and the only no option was to say that you don't play 40K at all. So they even expect non-Chaos players to go for him. Riiiiiight!), but I'm not a member of their... whatever, so it's good to a screenshot of it in action now.

SuperBeast
03-06-2006, 13:11
To be honest, I agree with the poll - half the reasons I prefer WFB to 40k are negated by cityfight (Marines 4 t3h win, heavy support gunz lolzors, etc.)

Cities of Death is the first time I've been excited about 40k in a looooong time.

Charax
03-06-2006, 13:35
CoD is the first time I've been excited about 40K since...cityfight, actually.

GW polls never, ever make sense - like one during EoT, which said "Which army will you be using" - now, I used three armies during EoT (Mostly store armies as I was a staffer around then) - what was my response supposed to be?

Luke
03-06-2006, 16:22
Well, that poll blows most royally. It just reeks how desperate they seem. I will not be building a new table for CoD as I have a massive and uber-detailed urban terrain set.

So I guess I must be in the "No I dont play" bracket then :rolleyes:

Stingray_tm
03-06-2006, 16:52
I am really looking forward to the poll, when they say "Ah, who cares." and don't even include a negative option.

"Will you buy a new Giant?"
- "Yes, for my Chaos army."
- "Yes, for my O&G army."
- "Yes as DoW unit"
- "Yes, for my Ogre army"

skavenguy13
03-06-2006, 16:54
In the UnderEmpire, there's a mandatory "this poll is stupid" option.
I guess they don't put it on GW polls because it would get so much votes it would overload or something. :rolleyes:

The Ape
03-06-2006, 18:02
I may be missing something here, but why do you feel the need to have an option for you on the poll? If it doesnt apply to you, dont do it. Simple.

Its a quick opinion poll, not a detailed breakdown of its customer base!

EvC
03-06-2006, 18:36
Because having opinions is fun?

Yorkiebar
03-06-2006, 19:20
I may be missing something here, but why do you feel the need to have an option for you on the poll? If it doesnt apply to you, dont do it. Simple.

Its a quick opinion poll, not a detailed breakdown of its customer base!The fact is, however, that the group of people who don't fit into one for those categories is quite large. Lots of gamers already own a cityfight board, or don't intend to make one for Cities of Death. That means the poll's inaccurate, and implies that a higher proportion of gamers are buying the new scenery than is actually the case.

Xisor
03-06-2006, 20:05

Just because it ultimately doesn't mean anything isn't an excuse to make shoddy surveys. If you're gonna take details for something you should at least do it right. Or maybe GW doesn't have pride in its work...:eyebrows:

Silly poll! :p

Stingray_tm
03-06-2006, 22:02

Because it's not a poll, it's an advert disguised as poll. And usually i react pretty pissed, when someone assumes, that i am dumber, that i really am. (I am pretty dumb sometimes, but not THIS dumb...)

swordwind
04-06-2006, 00:37
Theres a distinct lack of a "Why would I spend 100+ on Terrain when I'll only be playing in my local GW anyway? With an army other than Space Marines no less" option...

Mad Doc Grotsnik
04-06-2006, 23:14
Good God!

In House Website promotes own product.

Will the madness never cease?

Smoking Frog
04-06-2006, 23:54
Good God!

In House Website promotes own product.

Will the madness never cease?

It's revolutionary! :D

EvC
05-06-2006, 00:50
Except this isn't a promotion. "In House Website blindly assumes everyone wants In House product, and all is well and good" is a more accurate, and not exactly less unlikely way of putting it. Seriously, according to the polls, everyone can be put into one of two categories: they're buying the recent release, or they simply don't play the game. If anyone is looking at these polls for a reason, they'll erroneously deduce that absolutely everyone who plays loves their products, and if not... well what's the damn point of the stupid poll then?

cailus
07-06-2006, 06:01
I think that GW's entire marketing team consists of retarded table lamps.

starlight
07-06-2006, 06:55
Nope, just the ones in charge.:p

Anytime that any of the staff pointed out (and believe me some of us stupider ones actually did this) that the results of GWs polls could be predicted ahead of time, that person was quickly *shushed* lest they be either disciplined or turfed.

I'm not sure which was worse, that the polls and surveys were so poorly written that we could predict the results, or that the bosses were surprised when our predictions were correct.:(

cailus
07-06-2006, 07:03
It's amazing in that I work for a government bureaucracy and there is more openess than GW.

It seems to me they are just digging their own grave with their own stubborness.

starlight
07-06-2006, 07:24
Stubborn? Naaah.

60% drop in share price in one day? A continuing slow slide in the year since then? A childish obsession with blaming *the LotR Bubble* rather than taking responsibility for bad planning?

Oops, wrong thread.:p

cailus
07-06-2006, 07:44
It seems they need a "purge" of upper management.

Do they really think they will get the company back on track with price hikes and reduced invesment in White Dwarf and art costs?

It seems they really need to rethink many their business model.

starlight
07-06-2006, 07:51
But, but it's always worked for us in the past!?!?!? :deer in the headlights smilie:

What they need is a simple ability to admit that they *don't* have all the answers and the ability to walk away from this silly obsession that they are a niche company that can ignore the basic rules of business. Try reading the tripe that used to pass for an Annual Report:eek:. Paragraphs of drivel about how customers are obsessed with the product and they are insensitive to price increases and continue to buy regardless.:(

Enough from me.......:(

The Judge
07-06-2006, 16:25
I love carpet.

Death Mallet? And I want to play Death Mallet, on my new cityfight board.

Senbei
07-06-2006, 23:00
I love... rug ? Hell... Lets not go there.... On the other hand.... next months Poll.......

How are you going to paint your Possessed ?

a) Khornate
b) Nurgle
c) Slaanesh
d) Tzeentch
e) Chaos Undivided
f) Badly
g) I do not play 40K

They plan on leaving out 'h) Extremely badly after having clawed my own eyes out as to not have to see the hideous sculpts'.

starlight
07-06-2006, 23:05
*If* I played Chaos - *e*. Oh wait, my Minotaur army in WFB is Chaos, but it doesn't have any Possessed.

Since otherwise I don't play the foul heretical scum, *h* - none of the above.

You'd think that there would at least be an option for the opposition.:rolleyes:

Phunting
07-06-2006, 23:06
It's amazing in that I work for a government bureaucracy and there is more openess than GW.As do I. And there really isn't, it's just that HMG is soooo much better at making you think there is...

...and that's not saying much!

Phunting
07-06-2006, 23:08
a) Khornate
b) Nurgle
c) Slaanesh
d) Tzeentch
e) Chaos Undivided
f) Badly
g) I do not play 40K
Sorry, are you suggesting there is an idea to have a themed Chaos army and not just Undivided so you can min/max it as much as possible?

Senbei
07-06-2006, 23:20
Sure there is.... but only if you steal the players wallet then force-feed him plastic CSM Tactical squad boxed sets )_).

Forgotmytea
08-06-2006, 08:26
I love... rug ? Hell... Lets not go there.... On the other hand.... next months Poll.......

How are you going to paint your Possessed ?

a) Khornate
b) Nurgle
c) Slaanesh
d) Tzeentch
e) Chaos Undivided
f) Badly
g) I do not play 40K
Very true! They never seem to have any viable balanced poll options - either you collect 40k and will buy 1000 boxes of *insert new models here* or you don't play 40k. But then hey, this is GW we're talking about here! :p ;)
They plan on leaving out 'h) Extremely badly after having clawed my own eyes out as to not have to see the hideous sculpts'.
*checks online store to see new models*

:eek:

*claws eyes out*

They are actually incredibly hideous.....

-Forgotmytea

Jedi152
08-06-2006, 08:36
Everytime i read a GW poll it reminds me of some old dictatorship:

How do you feel about Glorious Comrade Stalin, and His glorious work in Soviet Union?
a) I worship Glorious Comrade Stalin, He is God on earth.
b) I worship Glorious Comrade Stalin, He is God's son sent to earth.
c) I am Godless capitalist pig. I hate glorious Soviet Union. I wish the KGB to torture and destroy me.

Yorkiebar
08-06-2006, 09:47
They are actually incredibly hideous.....

-ForgotmyteaI take it you mean these?
http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/newimage.asp?Size=A&Img=258395

You're right, they're awful. They look like they belong in Fantasy rather than 40K. With quite a bit of sculpting they might make good Genestealer Hybrids though.

Jedi152
08-06-2006, 10:19
Hey! Don't put a slur on Fantasy! :p

Forgotmytea
08-06-2006, 10:54
I take it you mean these?
What else? http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/images/smilies/afraid.gif Though I take your point - they would make rather good genestealer hybrids after they've been viciously attacked by a pair of clippers....

Hey! Don't put a slur on Fantasy! :p
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/images/smilies/dito.gif :D

-Forgotmytea

Yorkiebar
08-06-2006, 12:43
Okay, sorry guys. But they could be Chaos Marauders.

Sai-Lauren
08-06-2006, 12:55
I take it you mean these?

*Blink*

*Blink*

:wtf:

Erm, can we please find out who designed them, and who approved them? And can they please be taken out, put up against a wall and shot, for the good of the human race.

The middle one in the bottom row's kind of acceptable, but as for the rest, you've got to wonder what the designer was drinking.

They make Cortez, the Striking Rabbits and Nagash look decent.

Getting back on topic, who do you think is going to answer those polls? It's the rabid GW fanboys who WILL buy 1000s of new box sets, and think those polls are some mystical way into getting even more free figures, or maybe even a place on the design team.:rolleyes:

yerpo
08-06-2006, 14:21
It's the rabid GW fanboys who WILL buy 1000s of new box sets, and think those polls are some mystical way into getting even more free figures, or maybe even a place on the design team.:rolleyes:

The sad thing is that they may be right...

Corporal Punishment
08-06-2006, 16:44
I wouldn't buy those possessed for $.10. They look like they are from the Rogue Trader era.

As for the "Buy Cities of Death right now or you WILL go to hell and die!!!!!" poll....

I don't want my family murdered or my dog set on fire so I guess I better get to buying Cities of Death.

Lostanddamned
08-06-2006, 18:34
I am reminded of this.

MorningStar
08-06-2006, 20:50
Oh wow I had to look at those possessed like five times, had a good laugh each time. Until the end when I couldn't laugh and felt bad for the poor bastard who made them. Oh and back on topic the poll is rather ridiculous, they definitely have that whole ostrich thing going.

Crazy Harborc
08-06-2006, 21:15
Welllllll...........It does seem that the brains at GW are attempting to dumb down their polls to the point that they are ignored by anyone but the "younger" gamers.

Heck, those younger, immature minds will change/mature. Will the "brains" at GW do the same??:angel:

The Winslow
09-06-2006, 05:15
The polls are a joke, literally. I don't think anyone, even the guys that make them up, take them seriously.

starlight
09-06-2006, 05:27
Actually the Sales Managers and Senior Management at GW Canada take them very seriously.

Sadly.:(

Osbad
09-06-2006, 11:02
Actually the Sales Managers and Senior Management at GW Canada take them very seriously.

Seems like the joke is on the GW management then. Anyone who tries to imply anything from such a flawed set of data deserves everything coming to them. Sounds typical of GW management style - placing way too much importance on the gibberings of their own amateurish staff instead of listening to the advice of people who know what they are doing. If they want to really know a truly reflective opinion of customers, then instead of relying on a ridiculously flawed poll they should commission researach from a proper Market Research company who can use proper techniques to give a representative sample.

Typical of GW though - to rely on cheap, flawed internal information instead of recognising the simple truth!

The more I hear about GW internal management processed the more I am absolutely gobsmacked they haven't gone bankrupt years ago.

Sheesh. With customer loyalty like theirs (customers who stick around and pay shedloads for overpriced little pieces of plastic and lead despite being socked on the jaw every month and otherwise abused and ignored) they should make an absolute killing if ever halfway competent senior management get on board!

The Judge
09-06-2006, 11:39
Some of their staff have very good ideas... but they're ignored, and gradually leanr to stop thinking up good ideas. Shame.