PDA

View Full Version : Full scale Space Marine suits

Darkness
10-06-2005, 20:46
Just so everyone knows, this is NOT my work, but Jchas26's from over at 40kforums. I felt it was so damn awesome that it'd be worth sharing with you over here at Portent, Warseer, or whatever you call yourself these days. :D

I've added one of the many pictures showing what Jchas26 has done so far on the Dark Angel suit. He plans on getting 3 suits (Dark Angels, Emperor's Children and Blood Angels Death Company) done in time for Dragon Con later in the year. Over time he's been posting his progress on the three suits, and the pictures (and discussion) are currently spread through an 18-page topic, which can be found here: http://www.40kforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=15807&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Enjoy guys - I'm sure you will :D

http://www.cubecow.com/DA.jpg

t-tauri
10-06-2005, 22:35
Wow. Deja vu.

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3479&page=2&pp=10

x-esiv-4c
10-06-2005, 22:38
Anyone remember the terminator helmet with the interior all done up?

Baggers
10-06-2005, 22:38
Is it me or does it seem to me that someone has far to much time on thier hands. Shame about the choice of chapeters its not grey or wolfy (I think I just made this word up) enough for me.

x-esiv-4c
10-06-2005, 22:39
Ironwarriors would be pretty cool, with cybernetic implants and the such.

Antaeus
10-06-2005, 22:41
wolfy (I think I just made this word up)

The word is "lupine" :p

I remember the Termie helmet from when I saw it at the old WW museum. I got to try on the white Dark Angels one they had there. Aah, good times...

Jonathan =I=
11-06-2005, 16:41
Now that sweet.

Is it wearable?

Inquis. Jaeger
12-06-2005, 01:56
There was guy at the Portent Tournie last year that brought a full-scale power sword (not working, obviously, but solid metal). By God. That weighed a ton.

Aurelien
12-06-2005, 09:34
That looks damn cool. Can't wait to see the Sonic Blaster....

The boyz
12-06-2005, 12:47
That looks well good.

Shas'o'Fior
12-06-2005, 13:19
awesome..is it a model or a suit?

Jonathan =I=
12-06-2005, 13:59
Its a suit

EmperorsChamp01
12-06-2005, 22:34
Man what did he make it out of? I was thinking about doind that but i didnt know what to make it out of. I'm going to make one and paint it a respectal chapeter like the BT or the BA or the Space Smurfs(ultra)

Gregorus
12-06-2005, 22:51
they will post how they had done them near September, I think they don't want any marine-dressed competition on the DragonCon

Chuffy
12-06-2005, 22:54
Theres being a geek and being an absolute dork.

I really have nothing to say on this, I am embarrassed for that man.

Kargos Bloodspit
12-06-2005, 23:02
Strange thing is, he's painted the lower part and the arm in dark angels colour. But the chest plate has a blood angels icon on it. :p

or at least something that looks remarkably close to it.

Baggers
12-06-2005, 23:08
I think Kargod that the blood drop shape on the chest would be where the gem stone is going to sit.

However on its construction. I would reckon maybe a moulded plastic frame with fiber glass over the top to make it rigid. Similar to how the Daleks were produced back in the day.

Kargos Bloodspit
12-06-2005, 23:14
I would of thought it would've had a sword down the middle. Or at least an aquilla. I think Gemstones are too fancy for dark angels :p

Baggers
12-06-2005, 23:20
Well your basic second edition marine all had gemstones in the middle of the chest. perhaps that is what he is basing it on.

EmperorsChamp01
13-06-2005, 21:22
hmmm Yea the Sword or the Aquila would have been kool. I want to make one so bad that way I can fight in them. Yea on the link on the first post its got a full scale Bolter. And hes going to make the Sonicblaster and a bolt pistol and power sword for the BA dc

Lord of ???
14-06-2005, 06:07
That looks pretty sweet.

Mind you it would probably look even better if he wasn't painting it like a giant miniature.

Highlighting to any degree on something that big is really hard to pull off.

Kargos Bloodspit
14-06-2005, 08:54
hmmm Yea the Sword or the Aquila would have been kool. I want to make one so bad that way I can fight in them. Yea on the link on the first post its got a full scale Bolter. And hes going to make the Sonicblaster and a bolt pistol and power sword for the BA dc

yeah, if you read all the way through, he's got pictures of both of those through the thread. As well as several of the backpack, and the chaos helmet (complete with horns ;))

jchas26
06-10-2005, 17:14
Theres being a geek and being an absolute dork.

I really have nothing to say on this, I am embarrassed for that man.

Hey guess what part of me you can kiss! now go play with your toy minis cool guy. :eek:
love,
the dork

TWB
06-10-2005, 17:25
wolfy (I think I just made this word up)
Some people have been calling me this for some time.

notdakuningist
06-10-2005, 18:12
THEY'RE NOT FIGURINES, THEY'RE STATUES!!!!
*Goes and plays urbandead.

That was hillairious jchas26.:-)

Knighty
06-10-2005, 18:27
You better be careful making the helmets if it is fibreglass.

You really don't want to be inhaling that stuff.

cpl_hicks
06-10-2005, 18:41
the entire suits have already been made, if you read through the entire post you will see his progress, go to the last page and you can see the pics from the con

jchas26
06-10-2005, 21:56
those things have been cleaned out with a fury my friend! no fiberglass for me. funny thing is, I don't even know how to play warhammer. I just made them because my buddy suggested it. I will tell you this though, I am glad it is over!! Thinking on selling the chaos one to fund other projects. they tend to take up a lot of space ya know.

EmperorsChamp01
06-10-2005, 22:08
Yea they are really kool there Jchas26. I followed it althe way from the beginning to the end and i am simply amased.

Icewalker
07-10-2005, 02:29
I WANT ONE! How do I make it? Honestly, these look so damned cool. Boltpistol (not working) and Nemesis Force Halberd (not working either). Bet the Halberd weigh a lot. Eldar Firedragons be pretty cool too.

Are there any articles that help teach you how to make one of these things?

EDIT: I just looked at the 40 pages of stuff on the page and almost had a heart attack. I've never seen anything so cool before in my whole life.

Nazguire
07-10-2005, 02:44
Wow, as others have said too much time on their hands. But everyone needs a hobby or a project to keep minds sane.

I like it but is it to scale? Some suits I have seen are far too sleek to be 'proper' SM suits according to the artwork/illustrations of GW publications.

BrokenGlytch
07-10-2005, 08:06
I'm very torn here. First impression is "that man has way too much time on his hands..." and the little followup that comes in the form of a grin is "but really, that's pretty damn cool".

Only question I have is what it's being constructed out of...almost looks like it's carved in foam and painted with a coat of fiberglass or something from the pic. I would think it would need that hardness to prevent being screwed up at a con, but I don't want to think about how heavy a full fiberglass suit is...or how hot it would get :eyebrows:

Icewalker
07-10-2005, 11:49
I'm very torn here. First impression is "that man has way too much time on his hands..." and the little followup that comes in the form of a grin is "but really, that's pretty damn cool".

Only question I have is what it's being constructed out of...almost looks like it's carved in foam and painted with a coat of fiberglass or something from the pic. I would think it would need that hardness to prevent being screwed up at a con, but I don't want to think about how heavy a full fiberglass suit is...or how hot it would get :eyebrows:
The guy said that the suit had fans in it, so getting hot really isn't much of a problem I guess. He also said that it weighed nigh 100 pounds or more. I would've posed a question for him, but the thread hadn't been responded to in around a month. Man, if only we could do that with a Black Templar or a Fire Dragon Exarch. I'd like one of those.

jchas26
07-10-2005, 15:05
I cut foam cores on a CNC foam wire cutter off traces I did in Corel Draw, Illustrator, and AutoCAD, then sprayed a two part plastic mixture on them. the helmets were the only thing fiberglass and that was because the were built onto motorcycle helmets. The Death co suit and DA weigh about 120, and the Chaos Suit weighs about 130. We wore them for about 6 hrs and were spent. I will do a "how I did it" soon on the 40K thread but it will be a while. I am a commision painter and I just got a big conversion/paint order so it is taking the back burner.
Cheack out my Deviant art gallery for a few more early shots before plastic coating, just look up JChas26. If anyone is interested in the Chaos suit, send me a PM, just make sure you are stout enough to wear it if you plan on doing anything more that display!

Icewalker
07-10-2005, 22:48
I cut foam cores on a CNC foam wire cutter off traces I did in Corel Draw, Illustrator, and AutoCAD, then sprayed a two part plastic mixture on them. the helmets were the only thing fiberglass and that was because the were built onto motorcycle helmets. The Death co suit and DA weigh about 120, and the Chaos Suit weighs about 130. We wore them for about 6 hrs and were spent. I will do a "how I did it" soon on the 40K thread but it will be a while. I am a commision painter and I just got a big conversion/paint order so it is taking the back burner.
Cheack out my Deviant art gallery for a few more early shots before plastic coating, just look up JChas26. If anyone is interested in the Chaos suit, send me a PM, just make sure you are stout enough to wear it if you plan on doing anything more that display!
May I just say that I absolutly love the Death Co. armour and that I think that the thing is a work of art. You sure as heck got loads of talent. I look forward to seeing all of your other works of art. Absolutly awesome.

jchas26
11-10-2005, 17:04
thanks, I saw it more as an art project myself. It was nice to see all the actual players enjoy them so much. It was very gratifying to me.