PDA

View Full Version : 5th Ed. Warhammer Artwork

Strike Anywhere
04-06-2006, 02:22
I've been hit by a dizzying wave of nostalgia and would really like to have a gander at the old 5th ed artwork, especially the ones in the army books.

They were always slightly off centre and a tad cheeky. So I implore anyone who may have possession of, or links to such artworks (as long as it doesnt breach some major copyright issues) to compile them in this thread. My thanks! ;)

Bobby_Wokkerfella
04-06-2006, 10:21
Try and track down some of the books on ebay, they tend to go for fairly cheap second hand. I got the skaven army book (Brand new) for AU $10, full of backstory and artwork, nearly half of it.

Griefbringer
04-06-2006, 11:21
So I implore anyone who may have possession of, or links to such artworks (as long as it doesnt breach some major copyright issues) to compile them in this thread.

Scanning GW-owned artwork and publishing it on the Internet without their permission would be a clear violation of copyright legislation, so I do not recommend trying it out.

Rather, go looking for second hand books to by - they tend to go for affordable prices.

McMullet
04-06-2006, 11:40
Yeah, you can pick up old armybooks from eBay for next to nothing. I got a Lizardmen one for 45p (less than US$1), plus a couple of pounds postage. Plus you get all the stories and background which are sadly not so extensive in the new books.

Finally, they are great for a laugh. Slann with 8 attacks indeed!

skavenguy13
04-06-2006, 12:00
There's a website with ALL the artwork :eek: from every race. I know it has all 6th edition, and quite probably some older editions too. It's worth taking a look anyway. I'll try to get the link later.

McMullet
04-06-2006, 12:51
Is that a GW website? If not, it sounds like an illegal one, so posting it here might not be a good idea...

Dr Death
04-06-2006, 17:07
I dont see why putting up the artwork would be illegal. So long as you accredit it suitably i dont see how it could be seen as infringing on GW copywrite any more than taking a photo of a preview model at games day would be.

Dr Death

McMullet
04-06-2006, 18:06
It'd be a scan from a book. Whether it's actually illegal I don't know, but it's more than possible that GW Legal would get all uppity about people distributing their IP without permission. If in doubt, I'd ask the mods before posting the link.

Griefbringer
04-06-2006, 18:19
I dont see why putting up the artwork would be illegal. So long as you accredit it suitably i dont see how it could be seen as infringing on GW copywrite any more than taking a photo of a preview model at games day would be.

Making a scan of the artwork would be making a direct digital copy of it - and that is what copyright legislation regulates. So no, you cannot do it without copyright holders permission (barring possible exceptions for personal usage granted by law - these tend to vary country by country).

Taking a photo of a preview model as Games Day is a different thing - you are making a new original work (the photo), not a copy of the model.