PDA

View Full Version : Parts for Wings for Tyranids

ASSASSINAWOKEN
04-06-2006, 21:26
Simple question folks okay.

What models supply the best looking wngs for Tyranid warriors and Tyranid hive tyrants?

I know forgeworld makes a winged hive tyrant, but I don't particularly like the model because it does not have a second set of talons.
I also know forgeworld makes wing upgrades for tyranid warriors, but hey appera to sit up in the second set of holes that are reserved for the top pair of arms.

Any advice and am I wrong on the Forgeworld wing sets?

AA

HiveFleetEzekial
04-06-2006, 21:33
well FW usualy incorperates their "extra talons" right into thw wings. which fits in perfectly with the whole "nids only have 6 limbs" thing they have going.

even then, if you "must" have an obvious 2nd set, they've shown it can be rather easy to just leave the legs off, and tack on the extra set there instead.

Bregalad
04-06-2006, 21:38
Tyranids are creatures with 6 limbs, so it is intentional and followes biological logic, that Tyranid Warriors Wings are converted limbs. Otherwise they would suddenly have 8 limbs, which woiuld be weird.

So everything is perfect for me with the Tyranid Warriors. For the winged Hive Tyrant, you might want to convert the current bigger GW kit (like the current body more than the old FW one). You might try plastic Dragon or Balrog Wings, but I am only guessing here.

Gaunt
04-06-2006, 22:26
A friend of mine used the plastic dragon wingsfor his HT, now while he is not the best at converting models he did do a very good job on them

McMullet
04-06-2006, 22:35
Well, if you look at insects, they have 6 limbs and their wings are "additional". Birds, bats and prehistoric flying reptiles had wings that were evolved from modified arms. Given their nature, I think tyranid wings could be either.

I'm planning to modify my Warriors to have rending claws on their feet (rending feet, I shall call them, oh yes indeedy). I just had to buy the FW wings, they're so lovely.

I considered using Lizardmen Terradon wings in the past. They're about the right size, if a little narrow, and the scaly/leather look goes well enough with nids. You'd want to greenstuff some claws or something on to make them look proper though.

Ironhand
04-06-2006, 22:36
Wings from the Morathi's Dark Pegasus work well for Warriors. They're a little small I think for the Hive Tyrant.

Despoiler
04-06-2006, 23:07
best wings for the hive tyrant are the balrog wings.
http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=99381499003&orignav=16
just used them for my deamon prince and they are just as big as the dragon wings but spread out.
also they look like bats wings and with a few carapace scales placed on the base of the wings they would look even better.

note: although they look bigger than dragons wings they are actually about the same size and plastic (the picture makes them look metal -but its plastic)

Morgrad
05-06-2006, 04:47
I like the dragon wings best for a flyrant. Balrog wings are reasonable, but don't look supportive enough to hold the bulk of the new tyrant model, imho.

For warriors, dark pegasus wings work quite well, but the forge-world ones are really, really, *really* pretty......

Tanith Ghost
05-06-2006, 08:01
I'm going to say Balrog wings. They're plastic, and easy to convert. Add some green stuff and a few nids bits, and before you know it, you have a pair of mutated flying limbs fit for a Tyrant.

ASSASSINAWOKEN
05-06-2006, 14:22
Can someone provide a link to the platic dragon wings to compared them against the balrog wings?

Thanks

AA

Bregalad
05-06-2006, 14:27
Just go to a GW website, Fantasy section, take one of the many dragon models (Wood Elves, High Elves, Dark Elves, Vampires,...), and you have the plastic wings. What is the problem?

Morgrad
06-06-2006, 01:07
Can someone provide a link to the platic dragon wings to compared them against the balrog wings?

Thanks

AA

Um.... we'd have to find the links the same way you would. Go to the GW site, look for the bits, and compare them.

gLOBS
07-06-2006, 23:04
Here is a picture of my Winged Tyrant using the Balrog/Fellbeats wing set.
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g314/PhunkyPhantom/Modelling/Picture003.jpg