PDA

View Full Version : Twilight Warhammer

The Song of Spears
05-06-2006, 22:37
Anyone here play Twilight Imperium?

I was thinking of setting a galaxy domination 40k campaign where all of the units in Twilight Imperium are representations of points and unit org slots.

if you have any idea what i am talking about and/or are interested in knowing more i would like to discuss ideas ...

Anyhow here is the first set of ideas....

Twilight Imperium Warhammer

Units Points Value Roster Org
Warsun 250 / 500 HQ + Elites
Fighter 50 / 100 Troops
Dreadnought 100 / 200 Heavy Support
Destroyer 100 / 200 Elites
Carrier 100 / 200 Troops w/Transport
Defense Station 100 / 200 Troops
Ground Armies 50 / 100 Troops
Space Dock 75 / 150 Heavy Support
Cruiser 75 / 150 Fast Attack

Heroes
250 HQ
200 HQ
150 HQ
100 HQ

Un-Controlled Planets
Roll Random to fight random race and for random points that race has at its disposal, If an race is not available from the list then the planet is considered to have no forces to oppose with.

Roll Race Mission
1-2 = Tyranids Seek and Destroy
3-4 = Feral Orks Cleanse
5 = Necrons Tomb Raid
6 = Imperial Guard Secure and Control

Roll Points
1-2 250 / 500
3-4 500 / 1000
5-6 750 / 1500

Bonus Cards
+1 to combat rolls = +100 points to be allocated anywhere

Misc
If you have a dreadnought or warsun and that unit gets destroyed in combat, if you still win the mission, you may assume only one hit was taken rather than removing the unit as a casualty.

the first set of points are for quicker smaller point value combats so you get a healthy dose of both TI and WH

Toppan
06-06-2006, 05:31
um...anyone want to explain what this is? i see feral orks in there...im interested but...what is twilight warhammer?

Gupp
06-06-2006, 07:00
so would you be actually using TI rules for parts? or what?

The Dude
06-06-2006, 08:09
Man! I thought a game of TI took long enough as it is!!!

And I still haven't played a 14 pointer...

Wargamejunkie
06-06-2006, 08:36
Really, we burn through the game in a couple hours, we have had to find ways to expand it.

So the question, is it just a game of twilight were you play 40k for the planets, or is there something more that I am missing.

The Song of Spears
06-06-2006, 08:54
um...anyone want to explain what this is? i see feral orks in there...im interested but...what is twilight warhammer?

Ok. Firstly Twilight Imperium is a board game that is like a sci fi risk on steroids. If you want to know more about it, just try a goold search.

so would you be actually using TI rules for parts? or what?

I am not entirely sure what you mean by "parts" but i assume you mean the game pieces. And in that case the answer is No. You would have the normal TI pieces on the board game. Its just that when you went to take control of a new planet or battle another player everyone would walk over to the warhammer table and resolve a warhammer 40k game with points and unit composition based on the units that were in the TI game doing the attacking.

Really, we burn through the game in a couple hours, we have had to find ways to expand it.

So the question, is it just a game of twilight were you play 40k for the planets, or is there something more that I am missing.

Yeah, a game typically takes us 3 hours maybe 4 if we get realy into the politics.

And yeah it would be basically two games at the same time, round of TI and TI combat resovled through WH40K.

However i think it would add a much more interesting aspect to both games as now you get to see the fruits of orks or IG conquering the known galaxy. Kinda a campaing with visual aspects. But with all the politics of TI to add another dimension of reasoning and intrigue to why we play warhammer every sat night.

great questions everyone! thanks!

So any additional ideas?
Would you guys even consider doing this were you able to?

Wargamejunkie
06-06-2006, 10:19
Well, I personally would do some sort of expanding because the races in 40k dont get along as nicely as those in TI.

That being said, I like the idea and I may have to use the board pieces as a foundation to a new campaign system.

Now granted if the points system works for you I would keep up, but It seems pretty confusing to me just looking at it. Personally I would just have some set values like each troop is worth 200pts in game, with a space dock giving you and additional 500pts.

This is in no way meaning to take away from your idea, its just for simplicity sake I see it working out this way, instead of ok let me add up all the crusers/dreadnoughts/warsuns to see how many points you get.

I would go so far as to say if you played gothic battles have points set for all the space ships and play several gothinc battles also.

One last point, how do you deal with the race specail rules such as the +/-1 or the weapon techs.

The Song of Spears
06-06-2006, 16:17
As far as complexity, i was kinda afraid it would get a bit confusing to add up whats what. But when i thought about how WH lists are made, and the thought that goes into making one, i thought it might not be as bad at it sounds in practice.

As far as race special abilites and special action cards, my only thoughts are at this point, +/- points value for combat modifiers. And since the game of WH is complex enough to handle the combat, things like using action cards on subsequent rounds of combat would be done away with, just the cards you use at the beginning would be effective. And the ones you use after combat (repairs and such)

I think one race gets rerolls if they spend a strategy counter, and even that would work, at any tme they could go back to the TI board spend a strategy counter and then re roll some roll they just botched in WH.

It may have a few initial bugs. But the reasoning why i decided to add points value to each unit in TI was to get people away from making the standard 1000/1500(etc) points list. You now have to really think about what units in TI you want to buy and compile as a fleet as that will shape your army in the WH part of combat.

It should give you the oppertunity to field different army organization charts with a reason.

Some ideas we have used to make TI (3rd ed) a bit more playable too...
no one gets more than 3 actions cards, you have to discard any extras right away.

all space, red border planets are left in, and planets are then added to them to make the deck you deal out to make the galaxy. (this makes it a bit better balanced as otherwie everyone rushes out to grab 8 planets with impunity right away)

Wargamejunkie
06-06-2006, 18:55
Oh, I see the reasonning behind the Ships and the different Armylist choices, I was just throwing ideas out there to speed things along.

You have an interesting idea and I will have to steal/loot some ideas for a 40k campaign for when I get back to the states.

The Song of Spears
06-06-2006, 19:47
Ok, well then what were you thinking with 'expanding' for the races that dont get along?

and are you also saying that troops in TI would be the only way to get points for WH combat?(plus space docks)