PDA

View Full Version : What should i take to local tank tourney?

damz451
06-06-2006, 01:22
My local store (glasgow union street) are having a tank tournement next saturday and im wondering what i should use. The land raiders and the dais have the 14 armour all around so is pretty tough but cost much more in points, the ravager being cheapest has thin armour but a trio of dark lances that will hurt other tanks, raider is dirt cheap and has a single dark lance, dread has 2x tl lascannons (mortis ftw!) but is fairly weak.

Although im not certain on all the rules i think you get bonus for lower point units instead of taking heavier stuff, get more bonus for taking out something bigger than yourself

Cypher
06-06-2006, 05:56
One other choice - a Monolith. Ignores all the nasty bonus attacks stuff, and the Flux Arcs are guaranteed to do something (D6 shots needing a 6 to glance...).

starlight
06-06-2006, 06:10
Let's see, you have the chance to take a Fast Skimmer with AV14 all round that hits on 2+ and eats just about anything for breakfast.:eek: The only real downside in the open-topped aspect.:(

Take the Dias.:evilgrin:

Ardathair
06-06-2006, 06:31
Not to certain about the Dias or the Crusader for having fewer points, but my first choice was the Raider, Fast and Fragile, (kicks like the devil though). The Land Raider Crusader vs. tanks is a waste, how often will you get to use the Multi-Melta as oppossed to the Two Twin-linked Lascannons on a LR vs. Tanks?

Sgt Biffo
06-06-2006, 06:41
If you have access to one: The mighty Leman Russ. Any configuration kicks ****!!!:skull: Especially for the points...

Doomclaw
06-06-2006, 09:58
at what range will you start, if at maximum ranger for your main weapon go for the bassilisk.

Sir_Turalyon
06-06-2006, 10:20
Vanquisher for long range engagement, Demolisher for medium range.

russian
06-06-2006, 10:28
for cheep try an immolator with multi meltas, but personally i would go with a russ proberbly vanquisher

BrainFireBob
06-06-2006, 10:57
Russian T 47. Can't go wrong with a classic, plus you get to give orders by standing on people!

Oh, nevermind. If you're allowed to go all-out on your tanks, heck, tank a pimped WaveSerpent with TL brightlance.

Alternately, a tank fight is a good excuse for the all-las Annihilator. *waits for boos of disapproval*

Seriously. Take e.armor, and the 2 chaos daemon upgrades that let you ignore "stunned and shaken" and bump your armor. Depending on how low-point you want to go, mind. There's also the one that lets you re-grow guns.

At a minimum, the 3-las one TL Pred with the armor-bumping upgrade. Fairly cheap, surprisingly tough. And in a tank fight, it does indeed pack a wallop.

Reign in Blood
06-06-2006, 11:03
If you were fairly tactical minded I would suggest a Furioso Dreadnaught...The tear ability is absolutely nasty! However you have to get to the other thanks first.

Wargamejunkie
06-06-2006, 11:28
Well, there is the Death Company Dreadnaught, but then again I always had a special place for the Flesh Tearers.

Michaelius
06-06-2006, 13:10
Take something eldar with CTM and brightlance ;) Can be even vyper :D

Ironhand
06-06-2006, 13:23
If this is one tank versus one tank then take either a fully kitted out Falcon (with bright lance, CTM, holofield, spirit stone, etc.) or a 3-laser Chaos Predator with Daemonic Possession, Mutated Hull, Parasitic Possession, Smoke Launchers, etc. I won my local store "Tanksgiving" event two years running with those two. Point limit was 250.

Wraithbored
06-06-2006, 13:29
I voted the Raider. Why you ask? Simply because it will be a chalenge to win, and if you do win, you'll have bragging rights that'll be just undescribable. Loose?Heh you had a very fragile hard to use vehicle and you tried to do your best.

Typheron
06-06-2006, 14:34
suicide rhinos, A bunch of mobile barracades to cover your bigger stuff, you can even use them to ram things if you feel so inclined.

ive used this technique, it works untill you run out of rhinos. Also giving them all hunterkiller missles for one shot lucky kill is good too.

You opponents will hate you probably but i did this for a laugh during a tanks only battle.

Cypher
07-06-2006, 02:46
Do not take an Ordnance based weapon - anything short of a demolisher cannon is going to struggle against AV14, and a demolisher cannon can be negated by most vehicles moving and firing heavy weapons, due to the short range.

BTW what is a Dias of Destruction?

Wraithbored
07-06-2006, 02:51
Do not take an Ordnance based weapon - anything short of a demolisher cannon is going to struggle against AV14, and a demolisher cannon can be negated by most vehicles moving and firing heavy weapons, due to the short range.

BTW what is a Dias of Destruction?
Dark Eldar special character vehicle if you will. It's Asrubdael Vect's private Ravager/Raider.

Alco Engineer
07-06-2006, 02:54
Although the Dias is a very cool vehicle (are you sure you can take a special character??) I voted for the raider. The reason is, a lot of people will probably ignore it as it's dead cheap and you'll probably be left alone to hunt down those tasty land raiders. Mmm. Land raiders. Ravager might be a better idea, but you can only shoot 2 of the 3 bright lances, making 1 pretty much useless. I'd say go the raider and keep it going fast, you might be surprised how much people will underestimate it.

NorthernMike
07-06-2006, 06:39
What about the Exocist. I find it is fantastic at antitank, plus it is ap1, multiple shots. AV 13 front. Should do fairly well.

Otherwise, take a dread. It will be small and easier to hide, plus a lot more of a challenge (just make em venerable, or whatever the vet status is. That re-roll is sometimes gold). Plus maybe you could drop him in.

Sekhmet
07-06-2006, 07:30
Maximillian Weisman.

There was a 1000pt battle at my GW shop that let you take any 1 special character for free, doesn't count for force org in any way (you can take if you already have 2 HQs for example, and doesn't count as the required HQ if your special character is a HQ unit). I was like, can I take him? He's basically a special character, he's a Tank-Ace Baneblade with BS4. They're like, "HAHAHAHA If you buy a baneblade and get that guy and stick him in the turret, sure." That shut me up. :(

Although the Dias is a very cool vehicle (are you sure you can take a special character??) I voted for the raider. The reason is, a lot of people will probably ignore it as it's dead cheap and you'll probably be left alone to hunt down those tasty land raiders. Mmm. Land raiders. Ravager might be a better idea, but you can only shoot 2 of the 3 bright lances, making 1 pretty much useless. I'd say go the raider and keep it going fast, you might be surprised how much people will underestimate it.
Or, they might shoot you down the first turn just to get you out of the way since you're just about guaranteed to die.

starlight
07-06-2006, 07:42
How so in a Fast AV14 Skimmer?

Sekhmet
07-06-2006, 07:58
Raiders aren't av14.. unless dark eldar got immensely better and no one told me?

starlight
07-06-2006, 08:09
Just the Dias. Vect gets a spiffy forcefield that's AV14 against shooting.:D

Sekhmet
07-06-2006, 08:26
Yeah, but Alco and I were talking about Raiders.. :p

starlight
07-06-2006, 08:35
That's because you're playing *johnny come lately*:p The rest of us were talking about the Dais.:p

damz451
08-06-2006, 22:36
the tanks in the list are the tanks that i own , except for rhino's but i dnt think those would work out too well.

The store are hoping to get 400 tanks entered into the competition so im expecting that you can use multiple vehicles as our store cant fit 50 ppl let alone 400.

also The dais has special force fields that protect it from shooting attacks so u could try and get into cc with it but i doubt it would work. Im thinking of fielding 2 ravagers with trio dark lances and a converted ravager as a dais of destruction.

The board will be fairly big so i'd think cc dreads will be screwed pretty badly, same with vindicators. I will be getting mroe details tomorrow when i buy some models for my cityfight army.

starlight
08-06-2006, 22:47
It sounds like the Dais/Rav combo is the way to go. Excellent Shooty and the ability to run and hide.:D Plus the Ravs can act as ablative cover for the Dias.:evilgrin:

Keep moving and shooting and the rest will have dickens of a time taking you down.:D

damz451
09-06-2006, 01:31
im screwed against a monolith though since i only have lance weapons :(

Ardathair
09-06-2006, 05:31
im screwed against a monolith though since i only have lance weapons

Dark Lances are still S 8, tough, you'll only get glancing hits, but Monoliths are fire magnets as much or more than Land Raiders in tank battles. Everyone will be gunning for it.

starlight
09-06-2006, 05:38
Yup, don't worry about every opponent, just the survivors.:evilgrin: All the Lascannons will be gunning for the Monolith, so just pick off the ones who can't kill the Monolith until it's dead, then go to work.:evilgrin:

Alco Engineer
09-06-2006, 06:08
Yup, don't worry about every opponent, just the survivors.:evilgrin: All the Lascannons will be gunning for the Monolith, so just pick off the ones who can't kill the Monolith until it's dead, then go to work.:evilgrin:

That's right. monoliths will be fire magnets for Lascannons and the Land raiders will be fire magnets for Lances and meltas. That's why I'd be unsure about taking the Dias of destruction. Its another big (and expensive) target! Ravagers and raiders would just be a waste of shooting for a turn if you could possibly kill a land raider or a monolith!