PDA

View Full Version : Have Just started Warhammer

Griffin
08-06-2006, 17:02
Hi guys
I have just started playing 40K, and I live in SA, so I want your oppinion on the stuff I ordered, and some suggestions to what you might have done differently.

Paints (bought seperately not a starter set)
Chaos Lord
2x Squad of Chaos Space marines
2x Plastic Glue
2x Mixing Tubes
1x Black spraymate from local DIY - Can't import Citadel Primer

Thats enough to paint about now - Anything else you guys would recommend I get extra since I have started assembling and painting already. I bought 7 Colors since i;m using the Black legion Color Scheme - I'll add greater detail later. Anything Else you guys recommend

I use a standard pair of clippers - Not the GW variety
I use a nailfile for plastic mold lines
I use rubberband for keeping stuff together.
I use Prestick to keep my models on the BottleCap I use to hold the Models while painting.

Advice for next step in army as well as moddeling tips appreciated.

Mortare
08-06-2006, 17:18
Welcome!

Sounds like you got a fairly solid basis to be working on with the army so far, decent amount of madels and the basis of a small army. People work different ways, some buy more only when they are done with what they have, others (me included) just buy figs as and when, and it all piles up to be used! I think that your next option should be the army book, gives painting advice and can help you choose how to arm your models, and if you are aiming for an army then also what to get next.

Good luck

sigur
08-06-2006, 17:26
Firstly, welcome to 40k.;)

Your stuff looks good so far; I'm not sure about those mixing tubes, but if you like them, keep them. Spraycoat from your local DIY is just as good as GW's as long as it's matte.

You definitly should get a Stanley Knife (http://i24.ebayimg.com/01/i/04/15/d2/90_1_bl.JPG) (don't know how you call that normally, that's why I added the picture). It will help you getting rid of the mold lines.

If you need any modelling/painting advice, just ask. For the beginning, a simple black basecoat over the spraycoat along with golden details will suffice, you can also add some chestnut- or flesh wash (watered-down!) on the golden parts; highlighting/shading black is a bit trickier.

I hope you got yourself a rulebook because that's very important, almost as important as your Codex (which is mandatory of course). Reading the rulebook is just SO important, even if you think that you know all the rules.

One last question: What does SA stand for in this case, South America?

That's it for now. Go, paint your miniatures, have a few games and have fun!:)

Taldaan
08-06-2006, 20:47
You'll definitely need both the rulebook and Codex:Chaos Space Marines.

Apart from that, it would probably be a good idea to buy some superglue, as you will inevitably end up with some metal models and plastic glue doesn't work for them.

Epoxy putty might be a good idea if you plan to do some converting or even just for covering up joins, but if you want putty I suggest that you shop around for epoxy putty instead of buying the GW Green Stuff. I personally use 2-part drain repair putty, which comes in enormous tubes for roughly the same price as a titchy packet of green stuff, but I'm sure that other converters have other suggestions.

After that, you'll probably want to make choices depending on your fluff and strategic ideas. A fast assault army might include Rhinos for a squad or two, or a squad of bikes. A shooty gunline-type army might include Havocs or a Defiler. A mobile shooty army might also include Havocs and Marine Squads in Rhinos. Daemons can also be added depending on what role you have for them, and what fluff you use.

UnRiggable
09-06-2006, 02:11
Sooo many versions of this thread, but here it goes...

Dude, i guess you have decided on Chaos, which is cool. You have all the requirements, and keep in mind that painting your army may be annoying, but it pays off in the end. Dont consider fast attack or heavy support at this point, or getting a second HQ, because you should start to understand the game peice by piece. Like, tanks are pretty complicated, so make sure that before you go out and buy a rhino either you play against one or you understand the rules for transports well enough.
If anything, buy elites (dont know chaos elites), ask which ones though. usually the one first in the codex

The Dude
09-06-2006, 03:17
I would suggest a couple of different weapons choices. Best bet is a Havoc Squad, as then you will be able to get a feel for different weapons, as well as deal with some of the other stuff (like vehicles) that may come your way.

My only advice is that I have found spray undercoat (whilst okay for vehicles) is not the best choice for man-sized minis. Possibly you can get away with it for troops, but no way should you use it for characters. I used to use spray undercoat, but I ended up having to give them a coat with a brush anyway.

Several coats of watered down Chaos Black gives a smoother finish and doesn't obscure detail too much. Plus you know you've gotten into all the little cracks ;).

That's just my opinion though :D

Griffin
09-06-2006, 05:48
Sorry forgot to mention - I bought the Codex

@sigur - SA is South Africa, So you guys recommend a Stanley as well as some rhinos then ?

scavenseer
09-06-2006, 08:58
Welcome to the future...there is only war!........and cookies.

You will also need many rolls of kitchen towel and some dice.:)

sigur
09-06-2006, 11:16
Oh, South Africa, okay then.

The most important things by now are a rulebook and your Codex, as mentioned before. Painting can be great fun and to me it's the most interesting aspect of the hobby.

@Unriggable: Did you just mention the word "Complicated" in 40k general? OUT with you.;)

Griffin
09-06-2006, 11:46
Complicated ?? - I thought that a rhino would be easier to assemble than a marine ?

sigur
09-06-2006, 12:26
a.) it's not;)
and b.) He was referring to the rules for (transport-)vehicles.

Griffin
09-06-2006, 12:47
Oh ok then - sorry didn't know

UnRiggable
09-06-2006, 13:25
Yes, make sure you always see what its like modelling a rhino before actually doing so. [/sarcasm] seriously, play against tanks before buying them, it teaches you a bit on howto use them.

Griffin
09-06-2006, 14:19
Thanx for the advice - I'm planning on getting abit of everything so I can see firsthand, how the stuff works instead of relying on other peoples oppinions, although advice is still welcome