PDA

View Full Version : wood elves book

axels15
09-06-2006, 00:34
I was considering picking up the new wood elf book and possibly starting an army, but I was wondering what the general consensus of it was. give me the good, the bad, and the ugly:D

Alathir
09-06-2006, 01:57
I play Wood Elves and couldnt be happier with the new army list. However, the Wood Elves are definatley one of the more difficult armies to succeed with. At first glance they seem extremely weak, even their fighter lord only comes equipped with a single longbow haha. But once you begin to understand how to play them they are a very rewarding race to play. Nothing like destroying an enemy's Tomb Prince chariot unit on the first turn with tree singing, or taking down more than half a chosen chaos warrior unit with a single fury of the forest spell.

One of the other things I really like about the Wood Elves is that they fight almost exactly how their background says they do, ambushes and all that.

The ugly? The Wood Elves suffer from not being able to win in a war of attrition. Meaning they can only take it for so long. Best advice I could give you when playing wood elves is to pick your fights carefully and strategically.

axels15
09-06-2006, 03:07
how would they stand up against these 3 armies (these are what my friends normally play)
Dark Elves
Skaven
Chaos

ZomboCom
09-06-2006, 09:30
how would they stand up against these 3 armies (these are what my friends normally play)
Dark Elves
Skaven
Chaos

Dark Elves - You'll run rings around them.

Skaven - Depends on the build. If it's SAD you're dead, otherwise you'll run rings around them.

Chaos - You'll be unlucky if you lose a single model.

scavenseer
09-06-2006, 09:40
Dark Elves
Skaven
Chaos

DE- you will be lucky if anyone remembers your army after playing the DruchII
Skaven - Shoot the rat's and wait for them to kill themselves with malfunctions
chaos- hope and pray your spells work

Crube
09-06-2006, 10:39
DE - I've always found it to be really close. They have access to quick stuff too, and I find their lords a bit more hitty...

Skaven - Mobility is your friend - combined charges to negate ranks are even more important here. SAD - agreed, just run away...

Chaos - depends on which type. Again, mobility is your friend. Take out his mobile stuff early as possible (Furies, Screamers etc) - this part shouldnt be too tricky as they should be relativley small units...

Then Pray

Jedi152
09-06-2006, 13:33
Try Crube's tactics against undead:

Shoot stuff. Hit stuff. Laugh at pathetic counter attack...

:D

Virus
24-06-2006, 14:00
The new Wood Elves seem to me to be one of the coolest armies in Warhammer. That is all the reason I needed to start an army.

It seems to me that hitting the enemy in the flank with Wild riders will cause problems for most armies, except prehaps massive horde armies. Should do well against DE, they have little to match Wild riders.

god octo
24-06-2006, 16:09
i think the that cold one knights could be a problem for woodies, but as they are very slow with only M7, you should get some shots in and be able to set up a counter attack on the unit.

Virus
28-06-2006, 14:15
My DE playing mate tends to moan quite a lot about Cold One Knights, especially their stupidity, so I never really considered them to be much of a threat.

mechwarrior123
28-06-2006, 20:40
Just avoid playing against a Khorne army with its insane number of dispel dice, otherwise, enjoy using a rewarding army.

Eblis_Dead_Forever
28-06-2006, 21:23
A Khorne Army is so much fun to play against. Come little choosen follow the nice glade riders in to the forest and rear get charged by wild riders and in the flank by the killing blow war dancers. Or when they spend the whole battle chasing your war hawks and you just keep shooting and shooting and shooting, till they're all dead :D. Way watchers are useful espically agaisnt expensive choosen cavalry I saw a squad of five get killed in the first turn from ten Way Watchers

Word of warning watch out for Dark elf fast cav they're nasty against glade guard. As well as Reapter Bolt Throwers they aren't much fun.

Skaven are quiet funny to play against espically when half the army flees due to a single star fire arrow.