PDA

View Full Version : Why does GW make it hard for me to give them money?

Warp Zero
09-06-2006, 05:49
First off, I'm making this post about many different "things" under one broad topic. The topic being something I find kind of odd. Some players here love to label GW as an overly greedy company and some say they're just doing business just like any other. Whatever that may be, there is one thing I notice about GW, their stores make it hard for me to give them money.

I'll explain:

I'll admit up front that this experience of mine is probably mostly in my area only. As I've seen comments from others that support that not all GW stores are like this.

There are about 3 GW stores within my driving range where I live. All of them tend to do a few things that make me tend to go to an indy store instead. Either way, GW gets my money obviously ...but correct me if I'm wrong, but don't they get more profit if I bought directly from their store than sharing with an independant hobby store? Someone educate me on this?

Examples:

1.) Looking to pick up the lastest issue of White Dwarf. GW store has it, but since its not logged into the computer, the redshirt can't sell it to me. Even though there's a box of them sitting in back. I drive 25 minutes to an independant store and buy a copy. Since they don't use an overly complicated computer system, guy behind counter sells it to me on the spot. This has happened to me 3 times. [some may say, "just get a subscription man..." - - my response is: I don't because the subscription is chaotic. Sometimes it comes a few days early, sometimes on the same day the store gets it, sometimes even a week late......]

2.) Models/books with release dates are weird. I'm going into the store on a thursday and asking if such and such is out yet. Latest version of this story has to do with "Cities of Death". I ask, "you guys have it yet?" The store guy says, "We do, but we're not allowed to sell it till Saturday". Sometimes when this happens I just go to the local indy store and find the same thing already for sale. No waiting till saturday.

Now, I do know that some products have a timed release for a particular reason. Maybe its because they've advertised nation wide that they are to be sold on a wednesday or something. Because of the varying shipping times to local stores, managers are asked to not put them on the shelf until the day the company asks them to. I guess that way its a universal release rather than a chaotic one where some stores get it early and some don't. I guess I can see why they do this with major video game releases or game consoles.....

...but for the life of me I'm not an expert on GW business practices and thus I can't figure what advantage is to be gained by waiting a few extra days to sell something that is already in stock. From my point of view, all it does is make me shop at indy stores instead. If that's GW's goal, then its working. I now tend to go to indy stores to buy things I'm impatient for. Yeah, there are times I get super geeky and want to check out something RIGHT WHEN IT COMES OUT, rather than waiting 2-4 days for GW to open up boxes, I go to the indy guy. But hey...that's me. ;)

The thing is, why would GW make it harder for me to give them money? They need to look into my area and tell the employees to keep their computers up to date and stop with the whole "not allowed to sell till saturday" junk.

I just don't get it. :wtf:

Griffin
09-06-2006, 05:55
I can understand why the said they had to wait till saturday - But he should have said rather that they would have in stock by saterday, not that they had stock and he could only give it to you then. On the white dwarf thing - thats inexcusable.

Darkseer
09-06-2006, 06:30
Quite often I've been told they can only sell stuff on Saturday.

I've then told them that I live miles away and need said item right now to finish my army in time for Friday...or something.

ALWAYS works ;)

Binky
09-06-2006, 08:24
The release date thing does seem kind of silly I must admit, I guess it's to do with competition between stores, if you have two stores close to each other and one of them gets stuff slightly earlier due to the delivery schedule, then the other store might complain about being treated unfairly, whereas release dates get round this problem. However, if no one's sticking to them it defeats the point!

Does seem slightly bizarre though, especially if the only local stores are official GW ones and they have the stock there but wont sell it, especially annoying as I work a mile down the road from a GW but live 12 miles away, means either making a special trip on Saturday to pick up new stuff or waiting till Monday!

Overlord Krycis
09-06-2006, 08:39
Quite often I've been told they can only sell stuff on Saturday.

I've then told them that I live miles away and need said item right now to finish my army in time for Friday...or something.

ALWAYS works ;)
I do the same thing with White Dwarf...it really does ALWAYS work :D .

Warp Zero
09-06-2006, 08:43
... I work a mile down the road from a GW but live 12 miles away, means either making a special trip on Saturday to pick up new stuff or waiting till Monday!

That is inconvenient! Ugh.

Yeah, the "not till saturday" is annoying. But as far I know, all stores in my area seem to recieve their shipments on the same day. So not sure how delaying till saturday helps. If GW has no way of enforcing indys from selling the day they get the box, then don't you think they should drop the whole "wait till saturday" thing too then? Hmmm....

And yes, I agree Griffin, if you're not allowed to sell it till saturday, then there's no need to tell me that its already in the store, but can't be sold till then. Just say, "yep, they'll be in saturday". That way I can remain blissfully ignorant.

But still, the biggest annoyance is when they have a product, they're allowed to sell it, but can't because its "not in the computer" yet. That's the worst. :mad:

Another annoying thing is finding certain Black Library books no longer for sale or for order. I wanted to give "Warrior Brood" and "Angels of Darkness" a try but I can't.....oh well, I heard they're not that good anyways. But geeze I was willing to give 'em a shot. :eyebrows:

Jedi152
09-06-2006, 08:55
Because GW is now all about fact and figures, numbers and 'selling targets'.

Nothing is simple there anymore.

The Judge
09-06-2006, 11:37
Become mates with the staff (or have your mates become staff in my case) and they'll sell you stuff as soon as it arrives in store, usually four days earlier. WD they can just type the code in and it WILL work, so it's pretty inexcusable.

jansenm
09-06-2006, 16:52
*in a hippy voice* "its the rules man"
my gw store have gave me things earlier before
i dont know y yours dont, I dont think head office is going to look and the time of sales. I think that they are more concerned in making profit

Mikari
09-06-2006, 16:59
Not read all the replies but I'll cover why things are released evenly every where.

If one store gets it early and starts to sell it early then they get huge profits as they sell out before anyone else can even get their nose in the door. Repeat this several times and you start to **** off stores who will just go "nope, we don't play games with our stock. We'll skip thanks".

This also allows fans to work on an even footing as well. Sure a few will leak early (usually up to a week earlier), but in general stores have the games in stock a month or at least 2 weeks before they stock them.

So basicly the reason things are held back is so 1 late order doesn't cripple someones sales, **** them off and lose them buying from them.

Also most release dates are Friday and Saturday, this is when most people go into town/get paid/etc. Plus impulse buying and "buying first" is strongest on that first weekend. So if you have hundreds of people in town compared to a small trickle in town. It works best to slap on "BRAND NEW!!" on a Friday than a Monday.

Also remember Indie stores can get away with breaking the odd release date for loyal customers. If you ran around screaming "LOL I GOT IT EARLY FROM BOB'S HOBBY STORE!!" every single month then GW might get a bit upaty, but once in a while theres no harm. Think of it like a speeding law, once in a while you can get away with it, but the more you do it the more likely you'll get a slap on the wrist for it.

Playa
09-06-2006, 19:45
Hey,

Repeat this several times and you start to **** off stores who will just go "nope, we don't play games with our stock. We'll skip thanks"

The reason for release dates is an informal agreement amongst GW staff.

That's all. Independent stockists can sell GW stuff whenever they want.

All that stops them is fear of reprisal from a neighboring GW store's staff -

A FLGS that's 'nice' to its WH players may find their stock shipments 'delayed'.

This scenario has been played out again and again. It's really that simple.

Playa

RevEv
09-06-2006, 23:06
I've bought stuff early from both independants and GW stores, but I don't have a problem with release dates in general. In fact it's rather nice having something to wait for rather than getting it on demand - just get it in to your head that WD is released on the last Friday of the month and, if you really must have that brand new model days before everyone else so you can show it off to them preorder it. I did for the Cities of Death City and got it 4 days early... before my local GW store had their stock in.

Patience, as the proverb goes, is a virtue.

The Winslow
10-06-2006, 04:12
Hey,

The reason for release dates is an informal agreement amongst GW staff.

That's all. Independent stockists can sell GW stuff whenever they want.

All that stops them is fear of reprisal from a neighboring GW store's staff -

A FLGS that's 'nice' to its WH players may find their stock shipments 'delayed'.

This scenario has been played out again and again. It's really that simple.

Playa

Not sure where your at, but it doesn't work for my shops in the US, Philadelphia area. I place orders for new product every Monday, it gets to me and I put it out on Wednesday. GW knows I do this, and has no problem with it. They encouraged me to put the stock out as soon as I got it. At GW stores, if you pre-order the item, you can get it as soon as it comes in, usually Wednesday, otherwise it goes on sale Saturday. I've been told that GW likes having a set day for new releases. They don't mind when independents put them out. I have asked them directly about the street date for new releases several times. Certainly no fear of reprisals since they have encouraged me to put the product out as soon as I get it.