rkunisch
21-03-2005, 16:15
Well, here it is:

http://uk.games-workshop.com/sneakpeeks/warhammer40000/Image1.jpg

Have fun,

Rolf.

athamas
21-03-2005, 16:20
hmmm snazzy, loving the caraprace, but is that spike attached to int nose?

it looks.. um... silly!

i think i like the scything talons more then the sword and lash!

philbrad2
21-03-2005, 16:31
Noticied how this has appeared right after the pics were posted of him at Atlanta GD ???? ;)

GW are cottening onto the power of the 40K forum and announcing such new pics (never seen before last weekend IIRC) onot the webiste on what is traditionally not a site update day.

I like the HT with his 2nd ed evolution overtones. Just a bit pissed that what will be the new colour scheme bone/black/purple is the one I've come up with for my own bug .... whaddayaknow!

:cool:

DemonHunt
21-03-2005, 16:55
It seems to be that the Nids have undegone another evolution. Or rather they have gone back to 2nd Ed, I swar all it needs now is the whip. Maybe GW wanted it to look more of a leader and less of an ALIEN's queen or something.

cyndre
21-03-2005, 17:03
my guess at a reason why they came back to 2nd edition look:
Since they're doing the comeback in timeline for battle of maccragge, they took the old style too. Sad they didn't keep the scheme of Hive Behemoth while at it.

astrocortex
21-03-2005, 17:04
It seems to be that the Nids have undegone another evolution. Or rather they have gone back to 2nd Ed, I swar all it needs now is the whip. Maybe GW wanted it to look more of a leader and less of an ALIEN's queen or something.

There's a a piccie of a resin HT with the whip over at Dakka (http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakka/Default.aspx?tabid=27&g=posts&t=4509)

I prefer the return to the original tyrant model, it's a little less obvious than the second one.

That and it just looks harder!

Nid
21-03-2005, 17:06
Mmmm...I'm loving it.

Flame Boy
21-03-2005, 17:18
I love it. I absolutely love it. I always said I'd rather keep the old 2nd ed Hive Tyrant over the 3rd edition one, and this one is just gorgeous. I do think the huge nose spike is a bit over-the-top, but hey, you can clip it off and replace it with something a bit more modest (though your Tyrant might get an inferiority complex if you do that. ;) ). It doesn't look as gangly and overbalanced as I thought the old Tyrant did, I preferred the hunched look of the old-school one, and I suppose the "revolution" of the bonesword for the Tyrant is perhaps the 'Nids admitting that it's easier to parry with a sword than a talon so the Tyrant can defend itself easier? I hope they come up with rules for the bonesword again... I think it was in the fluff the closest thing the Tyranids had to a force weapon.

I also like the tiny little redundant claws forming just above the hooves. No idea why they are there, but they add some more detail to the model...

It's also interesting to see some flesh hooks that aren't flying about all over the place. :D

Yes, I like this model a lot. I think with the 2nd edition model, the Forge World 3rd edition on and this new "retro-chic" 4th edition version, there's quite a few good models out there... I just wish the 3rd edition metal model wasn't such a ungainly lanky thing with a stupidly oversized head... :rolleyes:

Sephiroth
21-03-2005, 17:22
All I'm seeing is the Zoanthrope. :(

Wraith
21-03-2005, 17:57
First of all that tyrant on the sneak peak DOES have a lash whip.

Secondly all the bonesword is rumoured to do is grant a continuous 'catalyst' effect for the Tyrant and extend the range of the catalyst psychic power.

t-tauri
21-03-2005, 18:08
Noticied how this has appeared right after the pics were posted of him at Atlanta GD ???? ;)

GW are cottening onto the power of the 40K forum and announcing such new pics (never seen before last weekend IIRC) onot the webiste on what is traditionally not a site update day.

Controlling internet information. Actually quite an intelligent strategy as it removes the impact of poor snatched photographs and gives us what GW wants us to see.

charlie_c67
24-03-2005, 23:29
Controlling internet information. Actually quite an intelligent strategy as it removes the impact of poor snatched photographs and gives us what GW wants us to see.

Something that the film, music and to some extent the modelling industries have finally cottoned on to. You put something on the web and people will lap it up, you kepp it off and overprice it and it'll end up there anyway, but you'll lose your cut.

the_yuk
24-03-2005, 23:37
Mmm i like the look of it, but as a guard player i fear this thing greatly.

Robot 2000
25-03-2005, 00:12
Now that I've seen a proper picture of it (the dakka ones looked awful) I'm rather more positive about it. It looks less like a total return to second ed and more like half that and half a scaled up version of 3rd ed warriors, which can only be the right way to go IMO :)

gotta hate the nose spike though :(

Shining_Spear
25-03-2005, 01:24
Wow. This is amazing. As mentioned before, I love the colors, and the model is great. Great job Jes!

Alkony
29-03-2005, 18:59
All I'm seeing is the Zoanthrope. :(
Try changing the image number in the web address bar. I think the Tyrant is "Image4" while the 'Thrope is "Image1"

Loving the new models. Am seriously wishing I weren't on a student's budget right now.

As for the paint scheme all I can say is "Ickh!!" The white flesh blends into the white backgrounds they insist on using for all their pics. I'll stick with the blue/green combo I've been planning.

Jedi152
30-03-2005, 11:25
Im not sure if i like it or not.

It looks impressive, but i thought we were finally away from the 2nd ed 'swords and whips' nids.

Overall i think i prefer the 3rd ed tyrant.

philbrad2
30-03-2005, 12:31

Not really controlling is it .. more reacting to...

Still its nice for GW to give us nice clear shots of painted figures after gamer shots appear on the net after an event. I'd call it more 'damage' control. Of course the real control is having the minis and info avaialbe at events. GW has/is getting good at controlling what it wants to release. I've harped on about this before. We've gone from a very open strema if info from GW as to projects they are working on, in some cases several years into the future to now infamouse 'six month' rule GW instigated in 2004.

:cool:

pnweerar
02-04-2005, 12:29
I very much dislike the new Tyrant. New Tyrant? That's not even a new lictor...

At least that's 2 less new figs I need to buy :)

N