PDA

View Full Version : So I am considering Fantasy...

DragonPup
09-06-2006, 19:22
Currently I am working on 2 40k armies. I was thinking maybe next year to start WHFB as well. And of course, this is going to become a 'What army should I play? thread.

I am not looking for a large horde army, or one that relies on super expensive units(like Grey Knights in 40k). I like the idea of having some calvery and other swift attack units. I also like the idea of being able to cclub the stuffing out of people in close combat with some magical abilities. I also think Lizardmen look neat.

Any suggestions?

Neknoh
09-06-2006, 19:50
You say lizardmen look neat, you want to club the living daylights out of the bejeezus you club out of people and you want magicy support? I tell you, Lizardmen are a very good choice in that case.

However, I would also advice having a look at Chaos, get both the Hordes and Beasts of Chaos books and you can do ANY type of army you please except for gunlines

gorenut
09-06-2006, 21:23
Seriously, Lizardmen already fit the bill of what you want. You already like the models, that to me is prime objective, and you want a balance of everything which Lizardmen are notrious for.

An alternative to what you want aside from the already mentioned Chaos is an Orc army consisting of mostly Orcs, Big Uns, Black orcs, and either giant or ogres.

Denizen of Athel Loren
09-06-2006, 21:33
I would say that you should do something with Chaos.

-DoAL

fracas
10-06-2006, 00:07
lizardmen
tough infantry
fast light infantry
tough cavalry
a few monsters
fit your bill

MisterHeavy
10-06-2006, 00:45
Lizards all the way. For all the reasons mentioned above, and for the fact that so very many people play chaos.

der_lex
10-06-2006, 00:50
Lizards all the way. For all the reasons mentioned above, and for the fact that so very many people play chaos.

This will probably vary per area. Around here, I'm the only Chaos player I know of.
I'd actually welcome having another more mature player on the side of the Ruinous Four.

Lizards are pretty cool though, unless someone makes the skink shooty army of doom. those are no fun whatsoever to play against.

squeekenator
10-06-2006, 01:00
Also, definately go Fantasy in the first place. 40K is to Fantasy what Snakes & Ladders is to Chess. It requires you to roll the right number on the dice and nothing else. Fantasy FTW!
Anyway, I'm pretty sure Brettonians also fit your bill. They have very powerful knight units (knights of the realm, grail knights, questing knights until 7th renders them obselete), very fast support units (pegasus cavalry), they go in between horde and elite when you throw in a few man-at-arms blocks, and they have decent magic.
Now, this will probably have some bias, because I collect them, but Vampire Counts are also a good choice. They aren't uber elite, but aren't a horde either, they're a very forgiving army for a new player because they're all effectively unbreakable, they have powerful cavalry (Black Knights), they have great quick flankers (Dire Wolves and Fell Bats), their characters hit extremely hard in close combat, and their elite units can give an enemy a pounding, and they have the best lore of magic in the game.

jansenm
10-06-2006, 01:30
well i tell you wat not to go for
orcs & gobbos, skaven, empire,

i think your best bet are ogres
followed by chaos, bretonians any elves and yea of course lizardmen

Alathir
10-06-2006, 09:47
Its just a matter of going with the army that appeals to you most, if you dont like the models then it will be very hard to play them.

Starbane
10-06-2006, 10:14
You say lizardmen look neat, you want to club the living daylights out of the bejeezus you club out of people and you want magicy support? I tell you, Lizardmen are a very good choice in that case.

I have my doubts with the clubbing-statement
If there's one thing I've never seen lizardmen do, it's 'clubbing the daylight out of the bejeezus'. Could be just because I play dwarves though ;)

On the other hand, they are very manouvrable, have good shooting and reliable magic. It is a good army to collect if you ask me.
+
They have indeed fantastic models

Neknoh
10-06-2006, 10:43
You haven't met the No Magic Lizzies I see.

Trust me, one Oldblood on Carnousaur and three Scar Vets coupled with one pack of Salamanders, one of those nasty triceratops thingies, two blocks of Saurus, one group of Coldone Riders and then the rest of the points on skinks.

That thing hurts in close combat, and it hurts badly!

Nell2ThaIzzay
10-06-2006, 16:18
Its just a matter of going with the army that appeals to you most, if you dont like the models then it will be very hard to play them.

Agreed completely.

Starbane
10-06-2006, 16:22
Sure I have,

The oldblood on a carnousaur is indeed creepy, but he's only one model and a large target..
A salamander is hard, but is very much doable.
Saurusses have never been a problem for my dwarves, I kick their but..
It depends on the battle, but sometimes even a normal unit of warriors is able to hold a triceratops at bay, otherwise either artillery or elite infantry will do the trick.
Cold ones need a good charge, their not exactly better than most brets and even those I'm able to keep in check.

Skinks are what makes lizies no fun to play against. (although I haven't tested the new rules on them yet)
The one that played lizies tended to take more and more of them, since the consensus seemed to be that he wasn't going to win the battle by cheer combat.

I'm not saying that this always was the case and sure I've lost my fair share of battle against him. Furthermore, lizies are an awesome army, just don't state that they are that hard in combat. At least not against dwarves that is..

The Keeper of Secrets
10-06-2006, 18:21
Agreed completely.

And again.

Neknoh
10-06-2006, 18:28
Ah yes, the dwarven strongline, forgot you played dwarves Starbane.

It was other news for my Chaos, I defeated them, but at a very high cost, all that I had left on the table was a unit of chosen Knights, all that he had left was nothing, resulting in a minor victory for me, the Carny ate one unit of normal knights, one Warrior unit with my Exalted Champion general in it, one Shaggoth and topped it off with my Beastlord of Slaanesh with daemonsword... or rather, he got killed by the Beastlord but the Beastlord himself was brought down by the Sword.

The saurii munched down my Marauders, skinks blowpiped my Mounted nettes, triceratops thingie clobbered a unit of Daemonettes and a Chariot.

I am amazed I managed to hack through his army in time

DragonPup
11-06-2006, 22:23
Also, I have a general Fantasy question. When/if I do this(ie, after the Sisters of Battle are completely painted, etc), what army sizes are considered 'standard' for WHFB? Like how 40k has 1500, 1850, and 2000 as the more common sizes. Thanks.

Antaeus
11-06-2006, 22:41
Generally I'd say games tend to be a tad larger in WFB. At Conflicts over here (or the last one I went to anyway) it's 1000 for 40K and 1500 for WFB. 2000 is a good size since it allows you a Lord level character and 2 Rare choices should you wish them :).

Sanjuro
11-06-2006, 23:09
2000 is pretty standard in fantasy, but you really can't compare the game sizes to each other. 2000 opens up a whole new range of options for many fantasy armies, in 40k it just means you will face a bigger army.

I hear 2250 is pretty popular as well, it being the standard tournament size in someplace foreign (USA, if my memory serves me). I've also heard people speak warmly of the 2150 pts limit.

We mostly do 2000 though, since that's what we started with, and dangit - we're conservative that way. Everyone I know consideres 2000 the standard size as well. It makes for a good game that can comfortably be fitted into one evening, and still leave room for another when you are done.

Zilverug
12-06-2006, 06:30
We started at 1000, then went to 1500 and finally 2000 became standard. I also remember 2150 and 2250 enthousiasts. We also play 4000 against two times 2000 and similar games.

Alathir
12-06-2006, 09:37
I usually play 2500, this seems a pretty good size to me, I dont mind 2000 at all either. Although the odd 1000 can always be alot of fun, simply because its really about maximizing everthing you have, which isnt much.