PDA

View Full Version : Bang Bang Bang! It's a shoot out!

Frankly
10-06-2006, 02:23
Just a quick question?

40k is becoming more and more of a shoot out type of game around my area, I was wondering if its the same in other places.

Shooty + mobility(e.g. skimmers with A.cannons, walkers, Nids, Eldar)can shoot pretty well even if there's alot of terrain. Add to that barrage, deep striking A.cannons, fun gunlines etc, etc, the easy of which you can put in counter-assault troops into a gunline and the enviroment has become shooty heavy.

I'm not judging shooty armylists, I'm was wondering if its shooty heavy around in your neck of the woods?

Wraithbored
10-06-2006, 02:25
It has become movementhammer everywhere I fear. Ranged weaponry has become too good like CC was too good in the previous edition.

Wraithbored
10-06-2006, 02:38
Sorry..."movementhammer"?
it boils somewhat down to who has the fastest/most resilient tank/vehicle with the most devastating shooting.

Wraithbored
10-06-2006, 02:42
Well that's a dang old shame innit?
PErhaps, it's a flawed system, and having a perfect system is a dream, then again what do I care let people play however they want to, i'll play the way I want too.

cailus
10-06-2006, 04:24
Meh it's still stand-and-shoot or move-and-assault IMO.

Bring back the 2nd edition!

Smoking Frog
10-06-2006, 05:25
I like explosions. Have you played with much terrain lately?

Zzarchov
10-06-2006, 05:32
Wait..Whats wrong with a futuristic military game based upon strategic movement and firepower of hand to hand combat again? isn't that THE POINT?

If its shouldn't be about manuevering, or firepower, and it really shouldn't be about generic close combat monstrosities.. what should a battle be decided upon? The only thing missing is better psychology rules.

AgentZero
10-06-2006, 05:34

Bring back the 2nd edition!

Aw yeah, now you're talking!

Orbital
10-06-2006, 06:31
2nd edition? No thanks. I don't have a week to book off for a single game. :)

Escaflowne_Z
10-06-2006, 06:55
Or play Toe-to-TOW...;)

Nurglitch, you seem to be getting a little spammalicious pimping your ruleset. Isn't it enough to have it in the experimental subforum and in your signature? Essentially, you're wasting bandwidth just posting "come check it out!"; why not add to the discussion a little bit and then throw it in as a sidenote.:angel:

This is, after all, the 40K section of the board.

Back OT: I think the new edition works just fine. Vehicles are still too vulnerable, and morale is too easy to bypass with 9/10s of the armies out there; but overall I think 4th ed. is a great balance between shooty and CC.

UnRiggable
10-06-2006, 13:31
Dude, it really depends on the teams that are playing. If it's a Tau and an Eldar, yeah of course there'll be a shootout. WTF is Toe-tow?

A neutral shade of black.
10-06-2006, 13:49
WTF is Toe-tow?

Try clicking Nurglitch's signature?

That said, I agree with Zzarchov - 40k is set in a futuristic environment; therefore, guns should - and do, if not enough - prevail.

Frankly
10-06-2006, 13:51
I like explosions. Have you played with much terrain lately?

Yeah, we play with enough.

kyosuke
10-06-2006, 14:26
true, but isnt that what the game is all about?

its all about manuvering, shooting and slashing each other down... some armys are more based on 1 thing than the other...

Grand Warlord
10-06-2006, 14:28
I have removed most of my heavy weapons from my Tactical Squads so I could make them more manuverable and with the kind of terrain i see at a GT/RTT it isnt that hard to get them into close quarters without getting destroyed. Yeah there s a lot of shooting in my area but combat is till a big factor ... and it s fun :)

azimaith
10-06-2006, 14:43
I don't get the complaint, if you have too much shooting I advise you to start a stompy ork or tyranid army...

Or surpise everyone with some assault guard :).

Helicon_One
10-06-2006, 17:40
I think its more that the extreme HTH-bias of 3rd Ed has been detuned, 4th Ed certainly still feels less shooty than 2nd Ed was. There are some aspects of shooting that are overdone (like the target priority rules which let anything more or less shoot anything else), but not the whole system.

Tim