PDA

View Full Version : CoD: Thanks GW!

robertsjf
11-06-2006, 15:13
For having the flexibility to say this:
"Intact buildings are impassable terrain unless your buildings have been modeled to allow accessibility to the various floors, in which case you might just want to count it as city ruins."
I mean, I would've house-ruled it anyways but now I have "The Official Word of God (GW)."
On a side note. I guess it's a testament to the rumor mill here at Warseer that I pretty much already knew what was in the book before I got it. Thanks Warseer!

Kriegsherr
11-06-2006, 15:39
Thank GW for doing something I can only say wow! It must be the first time in years I've been so exited by a new codex release. Hope next year I will have the same amount of exitment when the greenskins receive finally some love.

Wraithbored
11-06-2006, 15:43
Me and lord_blackfang went shopping on friday I got the army deal and he got 2 sector boxes by gods sake the CoD is wonderful! Love it to bits, only gripe are the balconies(blackfang told me this i haven't started assembling yet. Damned exams)

Death Cat
11-06-2006, 15:56
I was trying to reist buying any of the new buildings as i thought they would'nt fit in with the Amera stuff i got a couple of months ago but i caved, and im now half way through building a imperial church using the Basilica sprues and foamcore. Damn GW and their wonderfully versatile kits DAMN YOU!!!

Wraithbored
11-06-2006, 16:06
I was trying to reist buying any of the new buildings as i thought they would'nt fit in with the Amera stuff i got a couple of months ago but i caved, and im now half way through building a imperial church using the Basilica sprues and foamcore. Damn GW and their wonderfully versatile kits DAMN YOU!!!
Oh quiet you! :p And indeed they are wonderful kits let's hope this wasn't a fire and forget weapon we saw them fire it and now we can forget about it. However I hope the possessed will be a forget and forgotten weapon...

Neknoh
11-06-2006, 16:18
The what? I think I hear something about it, but I've forgotten it by now :P

As for the CoD, B-E-A-UTIFUL buildings, we've got the ruins towering over a gamingboard in our local store and it was the final nudge needed to get me into starting an Imperial Guard army.

Death Cat
11-06-2006, 16:19
However I hope the possessed will be a forget and forgotten weapon...

Amen to that, they are horrible sculpts. The CoD sprues however are at the other end of the scale, how can GW go from one extreme to the other?

Wraithbored
11-06-2006, 16:22
Amen to that, they are horrible sculpts. The CoD sprues however are at the other end of the scale, how can GW go from one extreme to the other?
I think the new possessed are just gw's way of wasting funds they got from cod to hike prices again.:D :D :D

Just joking, but seriously i do not know how such extremes come about.

ss_cherubael
11-06-2006, 16:23
different people sculpting and no one round to tell them its crap, or they just dont give a grox! and want to make some money. I really want some of those COD buildings but i dont know if i chould go the full hog and buy the imperial city for my 4X8 board, but i think i might.

unclejimbo827
11-06-2006, 16:26
On a side note. I guess it's a testament to the rumor mill here at Warseer that I pretty much already knew what was in the book before I got it. Thanks Warseer!

Haha, I thought about that too. It almost "ruined" the book for me. ;)

Wraithbored
11-06-2006, 16:28
different people sculpting and no one round to tell them its crap, or they just dont give a grox! and want to make some money. I really want some of those COD buildings but i dont know if i chould go the full hog and buy the imperial city for my 4X8 board, but i think i might.
I'd definitely reccomend it it's just sweet beyond words. Notice how blackfang hasn't posted since he got his! :D :p

lord_blackfang
11-06-2006, 16:37
I'd definitely reccomend it it's just sweet beyond words. Notice how blackfang hasn't posted since he got his! :D :p

Quiet, you.

I'll have you know I've spent the last day planning out my buildings, figuring out an optimal configuration that'll give me interesting buildings without using up too much plastic for any single building.

ashc
11-06-2006, 17:56
Thank you COD; you have brought me back into 40k with a vengeance, just have to work out whether to invest in the cityboard or the city imp guard first :rolleyes:

What configuration did you come up with lord_blackfang? Im wanting to do something similar myself.

Ash

Kriegsherr
11-06-2006, 21:27
I also planned a lot.... till I had the sprues in my hands, from this moment one I just wanted to have MORE! The bigger the better is now my Motto when it comes to buildings :)

And the resin barricades are sweet too. Not a bad price for resin stuff, but I might be influenced by FW :)

Ironhand
11-06-2006, 22:48
GW did an outstanding job on Cities of Death. Hopefully that's a good sign for future Codexes.

Killgore
12-06-2006, 00:32
GW did a great job,

so far i have made a pretty tall 4 story building, and want all my others to be like it!

Multistory battlefields for the win (with master snipers, rappeling lines and plunging fire strategems of corse)

lord_blackfang
12-06-2006, 00:48
What configuration did you come up with lord_blackfang? Im wanting to do something similar myself.

Looks like I'll be able to make 9 buildings out of material meant for 12-13 (I have 2x Sector, 1x CoD Expansion, 1x Administratum) I'll open a thread in Project Logs sometime this week.

UnRiggable
12-06-2006, 00:57
However I hope the possessed will be a forget and forgotten weapon...
Am I the only one who does not know what models these are? somebody please post a link!! My curiosity is taking over...
EDIT: CoD is insanely good, the shop had them and we (me and my buddy) used them and it was pretty cool

robertsjf
12-06-2006, 00:59
I was half tempted to leave you ignorant for your own good but here you go:
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38710

UnRiggable
12-06-2006, 01:57
Oh....wow...those do suck

citizenkade
12-06-2006, 02:10
I think those stank-ass Possessed sculpts are probably somebody new in the sculpting arena; you've got to start somewhere, right? I know they have to try new folks out and see how they fare, these COULD look better with the right paint job... NOW, though, the Cities of Death pieces are SOOOO damned cool, especially if you bash them up with foamcore! You can get some pretty sweet effects... Now, if they would just hurry up and release the smaller kits in the U.S.!

The Winslow
12-06-2006, 04:14
I just got the basic work done on a 12 x 4 COD window display for my shop. It looks great. The buildings come out nice as ruins, whole pieces, and as pieces to add onto larger buidings made out of pinkfoam. Great product. Tomorrow I'm working on putting together another of the armyboxes of sprues together for 40k leagues at the shop.

SAMAS
14-06-2006, 15:45
Oh....wow...those do suck

One or two look like they might be good if you saw then from any angle other than head-on, but what's with the 2nd-Ed poses?

Senbei
14-06-2006, 15:58
could be worth picking up if your a collector... can't Imagine those staying on the shelves long....

UnRiggable
14-06-2006, 17:06
Eh, maybe it appeals to children or fans of 2nd ed or something

Three Headed Monkey
14-06-2006, 17:16
I doubt these buildings will be a fire and forget project, as in the GW the designer said that they actually worked on the Warhammer versions first. So expect to see modular warhammer buildings too. I guess they made the 40k buildings available first to fit in the summer campaign.

Venomizer
14-06-2006, 18:38
the CoD buildings are very, very nice................to the point I'm planning my own cityfight board (my first venture into terrain building.........oh dear)

those possessed on the otherhand, damn............they are so bad, they've got to be up there with Cortez & Bobo for the worst.model.ever stakes

Marshal Lazarus
14-06-2006, 19:08
I must admit that I was skeptical about GW putting out a line of buildings, especially considering my feelings regarding the recent "price adjustment". I will admit that the product does appear to be of good quality but I have not yet held them in my hands to be able to say for sure if I will buy them. But from what I've seen and heard thus far it looks like these sets may actually be worth buying.

Lyinar
14-06-2006, 19:23
Looked up Nagash's company in the "Possessed-level miniature suckage" range, and the first thought that popped into my head was "Captain Cortez of the Crimson Fists IS Lord of the Dance".

Nagash ended up looking like an angry skeletal clown of DOOOM because apparently someone higher up in GW than the sculptor insisted on a skeletal face instead of a lich-like one, and ended up approving the sculptor's attempt at sabotaging the skull-face idea.

I'm quite looking forward to CoD, though... Going to be interesting to see how my Cityfight Armoured Cavalry unit works out. :)

robertsjf
14-06-2006, 19:28
Going to be interesting to see how my Cityfight Armoured Cavalry unit works out. :)

Interesting wouldn't be the word I'd use but it'll probably be like me trying to back out of my drive around driveway (I've hit my fence a few times...)

Getifa Ubazza
14-06-2006, 19:28
There alot heavier than i thought they would be, when built they feel very strong to. Great job GW.

Now if they can do a similar job on Orks and Eldar i will be one happy camper.

Lyinar
14-06-2006, 19:49
Interesting wouldn't be the word I'd use but it'll probably be like me trying to back out of my drive around driveway (I've hit my fence a few times...)

Yes, but you don't have Ace Drivers, Crush and Grind, and Rough Terrain Modifications on your car. ;)

Eblis_Dead_Forever
14-06-2006, 19:52
The buildings are beautiful to doubt about it (a massive imporvement from their last attempt at them in 2nd ed, the imperial bastion just wasn't built for a battle between a bloodthrister a hive tyrant and the avatar). It's just a shame that some of the other models aren't up to the same standard. Ah well it's not like it's hard to make your own possessed anyway.

"Captain Cortez of the Crimson Fists IS Lord of the Dance".

My personal favorite worst ever model pose has to be the old Marnius "By the power of Grey Skull" Caligar minature. As well as the 3rd edition stoner Nids, well at least it explained their massive case of the munchies :wtf:.

The Purple Ninja
26-06-2006, 07:02
Looked up Nagash's company in the "Possessed-level miniature suckage" range, and the first thought that popped into my head was "Captain Cortez of the Crimson Fists IS Lord of the Dance".

When I saw that, I laughed so hard that my eyes watered. Priceless.

As for Cities of Death, I too am super psyked. The ruins are so impossibly awesome that I will not even begin to go there as it has already been covered by other avid hobbiests who are psyked.

What gets me just as pumped if not more pumped are Stratagems. I'm not talking about the collosal impact they have on the game, but how exciting the prospect of modelling them is to me.

For years, i've had an entire organizer filled with bitz that I longed to have a use for. Misc terrain and strapping gear to tanks came to mind, but the energy was never there and it never went anywhere.

Then out comes Cities of Death, and my bitz box has become a literal treasure trove. Extra spines and grenade belts from Storm guardians mean I can make the exact booby traps shown in the codex, and inspiring pieces pour in droves from the organizer sections, like an LRC pintel meltagun cover with computer screen, old Land Speeder Typhoon gear stowage pieces, wire clusters from Lascannon teams, seachlights, sandbags, tank track sections, steel plates from chimeras, a dozer blade, loads of guns, fuel tanks, countless Tyranid biomorphs and previously useless infestation markers, and on and on and on...

I frantically ordered the Stratagem building set, and couldn't resist buying the new resin Barricades when I happened across them in the shop. In the next few days i'll be buying an Imperial Sector; two if funds permit. Might even look for a grinder to put those endless amounts of sprues to work for rubble. The wrecked Aquila Lander from the BFM set has also appeared to me as an excellent excuse for many of the buildings to have large pathes blown through them, yet still have corners.

The change of pace and instant mood and story possibilities flow like promethium at a Scientology Meeting.

For far too long have my armies fought over a worthless patch of trees and hills on a green mat! Bring on the Cities of Death!