PDA

View Full Version : Sorry: Army Decision

vcassano
11-06-2006, 18:13
Yes, yes it's another one of those "Help me I can't pick a new army" threads.

I am really torn between choosing from the Imperial Guard or Iron Warriors. Obviously I am willing to listen to alternative armies, but these are the two I had focused.

Basically I want an army I can theme but as I am a pretty inept modeller and an average painter, I want something which I can easily paint and convert to a fit a decent theme.

So, please help me decide, be it explaining why and which of the 2 mentioned or giving the 'sales pitch' for a different army.

sigur
11-06-2006, 18:33
Imperial Guard, definitly. For several reasons:

.) IW can be cheesed out to become an annoying opponent. Not in the sense of "tough to win against", no, just "annoying".

.) IG has great background, miniatures, lots of space for themes, conversions, painting schemes, ....

.) IG doesn't have power armoured T4 troopers. People will like you for that.

.) IW do have power-armoured T4 troopers which people will find boring to play against

.) IG has this uverwelming underdog charme. Those guys are just average people who have to fight an die for something most of them don't know and the rest often doesn't care.

.) You can specialize your IG army in SO many more ways than IW. You can write your own background, do your own thing more or less. IW have this colour scheme (rather odd most of the time because many people don't care about the "caution stripes" which make the scheme interesting) and this background and that's it.

.) Imperial Guard plays different to Space Marines. And, let's be honest, we're all happy if there's no Space Marine or similar stuff on the table because it happens way too rarely.

.) Imperial Guard have tanks. The real tanks. The tanks that were made for them until some game designer of questionable reputation came along, deciding that it would be cool if CSM had these weapons too, right after they stole our Demolisher Cannon.

.) You surely don't wanna get the :rolleyes: every time you tell somebody that you're playing IW and then spend 30 minutes explaining that you're not "one of them" and that you're playing balanced lists and such.

.) IG can get allies (I'm not talking about the unimaginative idea of adding a GK + grandmaster to your army here:rolleyes: ) which helps you spice up your list if you should ever get bored.

Do the right thing, my son, join the guard. And after you did, please consider other regiments than those bland plastic Cadians. There are so many others out there.

Glennie
11-06-2006, 18:50
Yes, yes it's another one of those "Help me I can't pick a new army" threads.

I am really torn between choosing from the Imperial Guard or Iron Warriors. Obviously I am willing to listen to alternative armies, but these are the two I had focused.

Basically I want an army I can theme but as I am a pretty inept modeller and an average painter, I want something which I can easily paint and convert to a fit a decent theme.

So, please help me decide, be it explaining why and which of the 2 mentioned or giving the 'sales pitch' for a different army.

Try Traitor Guard maybe? Too tired to explain why but it can be a mix of both the Chaos and the Imperial Guard worlds

Wraithbored
11-06-2006, 18:53
Well of those 2 options I'd have to suggest guard.

athamas
11-06-2006, 18:54
Gaurd...

reasons already posted..

IW will just lead you astray!

Slayhem
11-06-2006, 18:55
I love my guard. Especially the underdog stuff that has been mentioned. They have nothing to lose and everything to win, and if a lot of them die it's not the end of the world.

I have yet to play a game though so don't listen to me.

Helicon_One
11-06-2006, 19:58
Orks, of course!

Or failing that, IG.

Tim

BrainFireBob
11-06-2006, 20:21
Guard- it's even a good time if you like quasi-futuristic WWI Russians.

Seriously, Guard models over the last few years are awesome. IW are . .forgiving, but they're too easy to abuse.

Plus, it sounds like you like the idea of guns, yeah? Unless, artistically you really prefer IW, then Guard all the way. Checkout some of the Forgeworld stuff, too- niiiiice.

UnRiggable
12-06-2006, 01:07
Take this quick quiz:
Do you want A. Mainly Units or B.Mainly Vehicles
Do you want A. Many weak units or B. Few Strong Units
Do you want A. Spells and abilities or B.Strength
Do you want A. Close combat troops or B. Ranged troops

Chaos:
1. A or B, 2. B, 3. A or B, 4. A
Daemonhunters
1. A, 2. B, 3. A, 4. A
Dark Eldar
1. A, 2. A, 3. A, 4. B
Eldar
[Same as above]
IG (noobs this is Imperial Guard)
1. B, 2. A, 3. B, 4. A or B
Necrons
1. A or B, 2. B, 3. A, 4. A or B
Space Marines
1. B, 2. B, 3. B, 4. A
Tau
1. A or B, 2. A, 3. B, 4. B
Tyranids
1. A, 2. A, 3. B, 4. A

sigur
12-06-2006, 01:10
IG (noobs this is Imperial Guard)

The noobs fraction likes to thank the old skool inner circle of veteran gamers.:p

Chem-Dog
12-06-2006, 01:57
Imperial Guard are THE best army in the game, without a doubt, second to none.
Theming opportunities, Gaming opportunities, Modeling opportunities and Painting opportunities the Guard have it all, in abundance.

UnRiggable
12-06-2006, 02:35
Sooo one-sided...dude there are like twelve different armies to try, and Daemonhunters usually end up tagging onto another army and so do witchhunters...so that makes ten, but IG isn't like by far the best. They have a different style of play, but they aren't the best. I hate playing with them

Vanger
12-06-2006, 06:54
Sooo one-sided...dude there are like twelve different armies to try, and Daemonhunters usually end up tagging onto another army and so do witchhunters...so that makes ten, but IG isn't like by far the best. They have a different style of play, but they aren't the best. I hate playing with them

Your personal taste does not qualify how good an army is.

If you start collecting IG, you can:
-have a horde, all infantry
-have a mechanised army, lots of vehicles
-have few tough models (think Armoured Company)
-lots of guns
-have allies (Daemon- or Witchhunters), for added variety
And in addition:
-Imperial Guard IS BALANCED, no :cheese:
-Nothing beets the IG feeling

Sorry for 'shouting' but that had to be said.

Heinrich Jäger
12-06-2006, 07:09
I wish I had played IG instead of Marines sometimes, but since the 4th ed. SM book came out it is very easy to play different types of Marine armys. Like mine, it is very tank and walker heavy. (hence why I sometimes wish I was IG)

Imperial Guard are THE best army in the game, without a doubt, second to none.
Theming opportunities, Gaming opportunities, Modeling opportunities and Painting opportunities the Guard have it all, in abundance.

:rolleyes:

That is not really true, I think all armies are well done. It all depends on what your prefernece is.

Vanger
12-06-2006, 08:29
@Heinrich Jäger:

All armies can be done well. No one holds you back from converting. But IG has a lot of looks (Valhallan, Talarn, Cadian, Vostroyan, Moridan, and lots of others, with an 'n' at the end) and with doctrines they can be made very varied.

Damien 1427
12-06-2006, 08:30
Iron Warriors.

Go ooon.

Just avoid taking Obliterators and too many Ordanance vehicles. I doubt too many people would whine about four Havoc squads, or four Dreadnoughts. :rolleyes:

Unseeing Eye
12-06-2006, 08:31
And they have very little combat ability without allies...I'd reccomend Guard in this thread, though.

sigur
12-06-2006, 08:39
:rolleyes:

That is not really true, I think all armies are well done. It all depends on what your prefernece is.

Well, that's a controversial thing, but there's a thing in 40k that is one of it's biggest problems....Space Marines infestion. Yet another bunch of power-armoured T4 goons who can do EVERYTHING as well as any other guys will not help that.

@UnRiggable: The comrade who started the thread said it's either IG or IW for him. No need to make the situtation even more complicated.

starlight
12-06-2006, 08:44
IG - for all the reasons stated so far.

Well, assuming that you don't want Orks.:p

Scamshouse
12-06-2006, 09:48
Go for IG, for the reasons stated above, plus we get all the best ForgeWorld stuff!

UnRiggable
12-06-2006, 13:20
IG - for all the reasons stated so far.

Well, assuming that you don't want Orks.:p

Go for IG, for the reasons stated above, plus we get all the best ForgeWorld stuff!

The only reason really stated is that they a flexible at modelling and, sometimes, gameplay.

THUNDERBOLT
12-06-2006, 14:07
go with the guard ive collected them now for 2 years and theres so meny thing about them that draw u back i still havent got bored with them like i did with my marines and my tau that and u have alot more independence in your choices and how the army looks so guard for the win :D

glowing in the dark
12-06-2006, 15:23
Guard,I've only started my marines for kicks.
Guard is most definetly most fun to play with and agaist,and no two are the same more or less.Main reason I've started the guard is infinite liberty in collecting,playing,painting and conversion they allow.

sigur
12-06-2006, 15:27
@Unriggable: Maybe you should have a look at post #2. I stated quite some reasons there. Not all from an objective point of view, but that's how I see it.

starlight
12-06-2006, 16:14
The only reason really stated is that they a flexible at modelling and, sometimes, gameplay.

Unless you actually *read* several of the previous posts, many of which have excellent reasons for playing IG that set them apart from IWs.:rolleyes:

Overlord Krycis
14-06-2006, 14:46
IW...
Like the previous post, don't take loads of Obliterators, Chosen can be pretty good. And have Preds or something instead of the obsessive pie-plate frenzy most IW players have.
Although...I can see the draw for IG...mmm...tanks...

UnRiggable
14-06-2006, 15:33
Unless you actually *read* several of the previous posts, many of which have excellent reasons for playing IG that set them apart from IWs.:rolleyes:

I did, and it's pretty much saying what I said before...flexible at modelling and gameplay!