PDA

View Full Version : Rotting Ogres - My Next Army?

StugMeister
12-06-2005, 17:13
Hello fellow Portentiers - erm, Warseerers!?

Right, following on from the What's Tempting You? (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=62149#post62149) thread I thought I'd put my new army idea up for you guys to give your opinions on.

Basically at the mo I'm playing HighElves and I fancy something a little different. Not just gameplay wise either, no I want to have some relatively easy things to paint.

And so I want to build up a 2000point OgreKingdoms army, but with a twist. These Ogres are gonna be tainted by filth, disease and contagion. They shall be walking hulks of Nurgle!

What I'll do with each model is GS lotsa boils and rips into their flesh plus some slime. Their gutplates will bear the Nurgle icon and I'll add various other Nurgly bits too such as guts spilling out. Then it'll be drybrushing and lotsa inks to get the desired effect - not like the tidy painting of the Elves.

I'll be using the basic plastic models for the units, heavily converted. I might even convert up a very sick-looking Giant to go with them too. I havn't thought what I can do with the Yhettees yet though.

So, what do you guys think? Is this a viable idea? Does it fit into the fluff ok? Any ideas that you have would also be appreciated.

Snoozer
12-06-2005, 17:20
Well if I'm not totally wrong Ogres are quite immun to the chaos corruption and all that stuff...

But I like the idea of Ogres filled with diseases and their cuts hanging out, so go for it...

:D

Rathgar
12-06-2005, 17:21
I like! You could say that a group of maneaters came back from wandering around The Wastes and converted the whole tribe to the worship of Nurgle. That'd give you an excuse to convert some Maunder-fied Maneaters.

Also you could using Nurglings instead of Gnoblars, to give the army more of a Nurgle feel to it. Just as long as you tell your opponent that the Nurglings are using the rules for Gnoblars.

Final idea: why don't you convert your tyrant using bits from the Great Unclean One, to make him a hugely diseased beastie!

EDIT:

Well if I'm not totally wrong Ogres are quite immun to the chaos corruption and all that stuff...

But I like the idea of Ogres filled with diseases and their cuts hanging out, so go for it...

They're resistant to Chaos, not immune they can be mutated or corrupted just like anyone else.

StugMeister
12-06-2005, 17:25
I like! You could say that a group of maneaters came back from wandering around The Wastes and converted the whole tribe to the worship of Nurgle. That'd give you an excuse to convert some Maunder-fied Maneaters.

Yeah, that sounds about right. That'll do quite nicely. :)

Also you could using Nurglings instead of Gnoblars, to give the army more of a Nurgle feel to it. Just as long as you tell your opponent that the Nurglings are using the rules for Gnoblars.

Thats a thought I had too. Perhaps if I have any Gnoblars, they could be buried under a tide of Nurglings?

Final idea: why don't you convert your tyrant using bits from the Great Unclean One, to make him a hugely diseased beastie!

This is a good line of thought that I must continue upon!

The Pale Lady
12-06-2005, 17:44
Maybe the scraplauncher could be some diseased plaguewagon, complete with nurgling/gnoblar crew??!!

Rathgar
12-06-2005, 18:12
If you do it, make sure you put some pictures up so we can see the end result!

Shuya
12-06-2005, 18:18
avians method of making fur on a rinoc is a good start to make yetties just static grass ogres so u have bloted looking yetis :D

The boyz
12-06-2005, 18:27
That sounds like a well good idea StugMiester. Especially the bit about the guts and stuff hanging out.

Gethalorre
12-06-2005, 18:32
Great idea! Go for it. Give a maneater Archaon's sword maybe?

Griefbringer
12-06-2005, 18:44

Not particularly so - check out the chaos ogres in Beasts of Chaos!

nurgle_boy
12-06-2005, 20:54
damn, you beat me to it....
youll have to post pics, but itll look awsome, and be very characterfull...

User Name
12-06-2005, 21:37
Have you thought about a nurgle minotaur army, its bascially the same model wise but with, in my opinion better support units. Plus basic minos can get great weapons, insted of being limited to only your ironguts, not to mention the 4+ save nurgle minos have if they take light armour.

StugMeister
13-06-2005, 07:57
Wow! I've got quite a few replies on this one. Cheers for all the great ideas guys.

I especially like Pale Lady's ScrapLauncher idea and Shuya's thoughts on the Yhetees.

Griefbringer
13-06-2005, 10:46
As for the Nurgle giant, I somehow cannot help of him going puking up all over the enemy - a bit like that fat gentleman in the "Meaning of Life".

Rathgar
13-06-2005, 11:27
As for the Nurgle giant, I somehow cannot help of him going puking up all over the enemy - a bit like that fat gentleman in the "Meaning of Life".

I've got an image in my head now of Grandfather Nurgle with a chessy fake moustache talking to the giant.

"Just one more wafer thin mint? Look, it is only wafer thin…"

:D

If you modelled a vomiting giant (no idea how though…) your army would certainly get noticed!

StugMeister
13-06-2005, 13:59
I had thought of my Giant being a vomiting monstrosity. I've also got a spare HighElf chariot, so that'll be his weapon!

I think the fat bloke in "The Meaning of Life" was called Mr Creosote?

Spider
13-06-2005, 19:40
Don't forget the "mawseeker" long name...very suited to Nurgle i feel. :)

StugMeister
13-06-2005, 22:32
Is Mawseeker the name that adds +1 toughness? Coz if so that'd suit it to the ground!

For the ScrapLauncher I'm definetly thinking PlagueCart. It'll be a four-wheeled carriage with the weapon in the back. But rather than scrap being launched I thought that corpses might be better! It'll also be pulled along by a Nurgly monstrosity, probably based on the FenBeast.

Griefbringer
14-06-2005, 10:13
For the ScrapLauncher I'm definetly thinking PlagueCart. It'll be a four-wheeled carriage with the weapon in the back. But rather than scrap being launched I thought that corpses might be better!

"Bring out your dead! Bring out your dead!"

Sorry, could not resist - but that sounds like a great and gruesome idea!

Spider
14-06-2005, 17:50
Is Mawseeker the name that adds +1 toughness? Coz if so that'd suit it to the ground!

Yup...and stupidity, though i reckon for a Tyrant (or whatever) its quite fitting that if half his brain has rotted away he may loose a few IQ points. :)

StugMeister
14-06-2005, 20:41
I've been doing lotsa doodles and sketches at work on my ideas. So far I have sketches for the Bulls, IronGuts, LeadBelchers, Tryant, Butchers, Giant, ScrapLauncher, Gorger and Yhetees!

I'm thinking of having my Butchers as Zombies (Big Ogre-sized Zombies) - getting too close to the magic. Perhaps one might even be holding his own ripped-off arm as a club of sorts!

@ Spider; So what kinda Toughness does that bring him up to? I'm guessing five?

StugMeister
16-06-2005, 19:37
I must admit I'm actually a tad stuck as for what to do for my Gorger - if I have one that is! Don't really know where to go with this guy as he looks pretty scummy already.

Any ideas guys?

Spider
16-06-2005, 20:11
@ Spider; So what kinda Toughness does that bring him up to? I'm guessing five?

That would be 6 mate, which means IIRC that 7 could be obtainable with the right spell.

Very tough indeed!

I don't think the gorger needs altering in any way...unless you want to convert up plastic ogres into particular decayed examples and use them as gorgers...a possibly way to save a few quid?

The Judge
16-06-2005, 20:26
Damn, that is a nice idea. I may have to steal it.

Good luck...don't worry about me, I have a lot of other armies to finish!

StugMeister
16-06-2005, 21:59
That would be 6 mate, which means IIRC that 7 could be obtainable with the right spell.

Very tough indeed!

I don't think the gorger needs altering in any way...unless you want to convert up plastic ogres into particular decayed examples and use them as gorgers...a possibly way to save a few quid?

6 eh? Corr blimey! Thats a helluva lot more than the highest Elven toughness (4!).

Yeah, I spose using one of the plastics as a base might be a good idea. My main problem is that I don't want him too fat because otherwise he'd be too fat to burrow!

The other side of the coin is that I can't make him too decayed because I want my Butchers as big Zombies and he'd be too similar to them. :rolleyes:

Math Mathonwy
17-06-2005, 17:53
6 eh? Corr blimey! Thats a helluva lot more than the highest Elven toughness (4!).

Yeah, I spose using one of the plastics as a base might be a good idea. My main problem is that I don't want him too fat because otherwise he'd be too fat to burrow!

The other side of the coin is that I can't make him too decayed because I want my Butchers as big Zombies and he'd be too similar to them. :rolleyes:
Make him look like he's in the middle of transforming into a very large Plaguebearer. I mean, one eye and a huge horn jutting from his forehead and a few big boils here and there. Should make him stand out from the crowd. Maybe even a Nurgling hanging out inside of him (if you feel up for it), peeking through the ribcage or something.

Spider
17-06-2005, 18:24

Fat?

Thats not fat...thats the gasses that build up in a corpse (i have watched CSI...so i know thats true!) :)

StugMeister
17-06-2005, 21:02
Make him look like he's in the middle of transforming into a very large Plaguebearer. I mean, one eye and a huge horn jutting from his forehead and a few big boils here and there. Should make him stand out from the crowd. Maybe even a Nurgling hanging out inside of him (if you feel up for it), peeking through the ribcage or something.

I spose he could be ultra-Nurgling infested.

My Bulls, IronGuts and LeadBelchers are gonna have a few PlagueBearer mutations such as Horns and cyclops eyes. I could carry over these traits to the max on the Gorger and then add tonnes of the little dudes all over him.

I think I'm starting to get a bit twisted with all this Nurgle talk.

StugMeister
23-06-2005, 11:49
I've just ordered a regiment of OgreKingdoms Bulls to kick-start my Nurglesque force, plus lotsa brown and green paint.

So hopefully I'll have my first unit done by mid-late July! Pix will be posted.

Punk_in_Drublic
23-06-2005, 12:29
And THAT we're looking forward to. Lots of good posts in this thread, and the idea really appeals to me. Something to think about for the future. Good luck!

Later,

-Punk

StugMeister
23-06-2005, 13:32
Cheers Punk_in_Drublic, I'm looking forward to getting started.

StugMeister
29-06-2005, 10:14
A ha! My order has finally arrived from GW - I can now start on my scummy crusade.

I'm gonna be doing a WIP on another site, but I'll post links as and when its up. Don't worry, I'll put that bit into the Painting and Terrain section!