PDA

View Full Version : The next big Warhammer campaign should be...

T10
12-06-2006, 06:19
We discussed the GW campaigns a bit and the general attitude was one of enlightened disappointment. Disappointment because, well, the Storm of Chaos ending was kinda lame and unsatisfactory. Enlightened because we all could understand that GW couldn't really just wipe out the Empire and change the face of the Warhammer world forever.

And that's what we want, isn't it? Something major that will stir the imagination and get the blood pumping. We want a Big Fight with *something* on the line. Something big. Something epic. Something that GW could actually follow through with.

My idea? The Chaos Dwarfs.

The Chaos Dwarfs have completed their plotting of the fall of the west and decide that there's no time like the present. Forging a mighty alliance with Chaos and the Ogre Kingdoms (blech!) they march on, well, everybody! As is to be expected, bloody fighting ensues.

The campaign determines the fate of the Chaos Dwarfs. If they win, they get an army list, figures and full support. In other words, a return to old glories.

If they lose they get nothing - GW scraps the line and places an "Under new management" sign on Area Formerly Known as the Chaos Dwarf Empire.

-T10

Zilverug
12-06-2006, 06:25
I'd like a Tilean/Skaven campaign to recover Miragliano.
It doesn't have to be a very big campaign.

T10
12-06-2006, 07:06
Could prompt a Tilean army list along the lines of Ogre Kingdoms with variant Dogs of War units. I like it.

-T10

sigur
12-06-2006, 08:31
I think that this will never, ever happen, especially the thing about the CD not being published when not successful ingame.

Do we really need "big campaigns"? I think it always looks staged, people whine about not being able to mess/interfere with the background and it's a bit strange if there every two years, there's a BIG thing like Storm of Chaos.

I would prefer smaller campaigns, maybe with not EVERYONE included, maybe without releasing a campaign book every time, but rather a small booklet with background either online or along with WD (would also push the sales a bit and maybe help this magazine to get a bit of good reputation for once). But this will also not happen, just because of the way GW works.

Keeping it realistically, the next campaign will probably be some kind of Big Waaagh.

The Judge
12-06-2006, 09:30
They better not kill the Chaos Dwarves!

But seriously, I think the GW policy is now on smaller campaigns, like Lustria or Medusa for 40K. Thye don't have any relevance to background, but are still "fun."

Alathir
12-06-2006, 09:33
I wouldnt mind seeing some of the races getting some limelight that dont often in the big campaigns, I'm looking your way Tomb Kings and Wood Elves.

I wouldnt mind say the Wood Elves finally going after the Beastmen once and for all, allying with Bretonnia.

Or maybe Bretonnia declaring some massive Errantry War.

I'd love to see the Tomb Kings go insane and just start reclaiming their past Empire, with that pyscho Settra at their head.

T10
12-06-2006, 11:05
About the Chaos Dwarfs: If not so much killing them off, a campaign featuring the Hat-people's return hinging on their success in some campaign.

Run it as the carrot rather than a stick!

I'm so fired up about it: if I was a Ninja, I could kick my mom in the teeth!

-T10

StormCrow
12-06-2006, 15:36
i want to see the vampires do something with all the corpses theyu raised at the end of the storm of chaos...and if it prompts a new line of models then i will be doubley happy

blurred
12-06-2006, 20:59
Hmm. Interesting idea and I'd really like it to happen, but I think it will never come to be. GW is too greedy to put something like that at stake. Chaos dwarves just weren't popular enough so they decided to ignore them.

And the idea of Chaos, chaos dwarves and ogres uniting is ridiculous. Why? They'd never have a chance to win. Well, maybe with skaven and orcs on their side. :D

Ironhand
12-06-2006, 21:57
I like the idea of campaigns that are smaller in scope so that GW can let them play out without having to rig the results. I'm hoping the next campaign will feature the Orcs/Goblins and Dwarves.

Theadium
18-06-2006, 04:16
I personally like what they did with 40k, how each race has its own objective, rather than a single objective and massive alliances preset beforehand. I mean what if the armies had thier own objectives? Thats what me and my friend along with our gaming group is doing this summer...
For example...

Dwarfs: An ancient rune was stolen by a cultist, rumoured to be capable of turning they bearer into a full blown sorcer. Now they rampage through the world trying to find it.
Lizardmen: Feel a misbalance in the magic winds around the middle world, which they sense is wrong, and go try to fix it by finding the cultist and stealing the rune.
Brentonians: A powerful sorcerer destroyed a house of an important family, and wishes to get revenge on whoever was to unleash such trechary upon them.
Empire: The Brentonians accuse them of having an evil sorcerer in thier populice at some point, and they must find him and kill him to aviod war with Brentonia.
Vampire Counts: Seeing the mobilization of massive war forces, they decide what better a time to rise an army after the battles and fight for the rune.
Tomb Kings: Their rune was stolen from an ancient pyramid of the sorcerers, and the perils the rune could exact on this world is catastrophic. They must resecure the once secret rune to make sure that humanity doesnt unravel itself.
Beasts of Chaos: Seeing the rune as a way to become the chosen of the gods, who would not fight for it?
Wood Elves: The disturbance of the resurfacing of the rune alone has thrown nature out of whack. They must destroy the beast destroying thier sancturaries.
High Elves: Reports of death and chaos has reached the High Elves, and only the oldest elves remember its last rule. They have set out to create a high council of wizards to destroy the rune once and for all.
Dark Elves: Securing the rune has the witch king convinced he would have enough power to ultimatly destroy their lifelong foes, the High Elves.
Chaos: The preticularly powerful sorcerer bandit has been recognized by the gods, and they must pull him out of the center of enemy territory, as even a strong sorcerer can be killed by a small army.

I dont think I missed any races, if I did, someone can make it up. I just made this up, and I think its original because it puts the regular "bad guys" as the "good guys." I don't know if this is the type of thing you guys wanted, but I think playing a campaign like this would be really cool...

Ironhand
18-06-2006, 04:27
They did that once already - it was called Dark Shadows, about 4-5 years. Not a bad idea though.

Agnosis
18-06-2006, 12:04
You forgot:

Skaven: The skaven have reason to believe that the rune is in fact the map to a hidden valley, full of warpstone!

You forgot ogres and Orcs & Goblins too, but I can't be arsed to come up with their reason to fight. :)

samw
18-06-2006, 12:43
Orcs and Goblins: While discussing Wittgenstein over a game of backgammon Skarsnik and Grimgor had their game rudely interupted by the cultist, who in his haste knocked over their board without even the decency to apologise. The Greenskins must now track down this intolerable fellow before he upsets afternoon tea, proper decorum throughout the Old World is at stake!

Ironhand
18-06-2006, 13:34
Orcs at least don't need a reason to fight. The fight itself is the objective. The Goblins tag along for the prospect of loot.

Artein
20-06-2006, 09:49
I'd like to see Return of Nagash and few subcampaigns (DE vs. HE, sth with Chaos Dwarfs, etc.)

Wicabwyn
20-06-2006, 10:21
I would like to see a campaign, when the Empire counterinvades the Chaos Wastes, joined in by alot of slayers and everything that we can throw in there... I think its an interesting idea though, it would never work :(

metallegion
20-06-2006, 14:40
Vamps all the way... it could set the stage for Nagash

Agnosis
20-06-2006, 15:01
A campaign with Undead would be great. However, not just Tomb Kings vs Nagash. That would be as exciting as grinding two bricks against each other. You need the living to make a campaign exciting. They have something to lose. :)

Perhaps the living races would side with either side, because it would somhow benefit them if that side won the war. I know, I know, it's far-fetched to see humans and such allying with the Undead. :P

thecuckoo
20-06-2006, 15:17
We want a Big Fight with *something* on the line. Something big. Something epic. Something that GW could actually follow through with.

My idea? The Chaos Dwarfs.

The Chaos Dwarfs have completed their plotting of the fall of the west and decide that there's no time like the present. Forging a mighty alliance with Chaos and the Ogre Kingdoms (blech!) they march on, well, everybody! As is to be expected, bloody fighting ensues.

The campaign determines the fate of the Chaos Dwarfs. If they win, they get an army list, figures and full support. In other words, a return to old glories.

If they lose they get nothing - GW scraps the line and places an "Under new management" sign on Area Formerly Known as the Chaos Dwarf Empire.

-T10

I like the idea - very imaginative. But (there's always a 'but') if you think about it, it couldn't really work.

If the outcome of the campaign decides whether or not the Mad-Hatters get a figure range and an army list, then what do you play the campaign with? In other words, GW would have to print up a decent list of sorts, and provide minatures for that list to work. However, if the CD then lose the campaign, are you saying that all that goes in the bin? If so, can you ask for your money back on your now useless CD army?

Which players are going to be brave enough to shell out on a pile of CD minis that could well be binned only two months later? And, on top of that, you're saying that the CD will never, ever, be seen again. That's quite a gamble you're asking even a devoted CD player to take.

Like I said, I like the idea, but I can't see how it would be practical.

HiredSword.
20-06-2006, 15:46
I like what's been previously said in this thread about mini campaigns being a good excuse to be centred on armies that wouldn't necessaryily be needed in a larger campaign such as Storm of Chaos.

I think this is what GW has in mind anyway what with the Lustria setting, and for me, that's exactly what they should keep doing; varied campaigns with changing battlefields and actual reasons to play in different parts of the olde world.

grg3d
20-06-2006, 19:32
Nagash making another comeback:evilgrin:

Makaber
21-06-2006, 01:41
I do like the idea, however I love chaos dwarves (in a gaming heterosexual, non-midget-hat-preference way) so I'd hate to see them officially get shafted and removed from the setting. However, since the option at the moment seems no chaos dwarves at all, I could imagine some sort of compromise. First, make a full list, playtest it, and print it in WD. I'm thinking somewhere along the lines of the Kislev list. That's the campaign list. Let them forge an alliance with chaos mortals, beastmen, ogre mercs, and greenskins (allies or slaves, doesn't really matter).

If the Chaos Dwarves win, they are given a larger ... hats. Or, more seriously, a stronger GW backing, with more focus in the Warhammer happenings, a geographically large realm of influence, more mad hobgoblins, ect. More importantly, the WD army list gets expanded, maybe some new units and new magic items (The selection of which could be directly influenced by the campaign results, perhaps? Capture a shrine, get a magical doodad. Take a mountain, get weird-ass goblin slaves. Just an idea.), make lovely concept art, write some stories, and release a full-fledged codex half a year later.

If they lose, they get portrayed as pitiful little runts living in a glorified armpit of the chaos wastes, hatching futile plans to dominate the immediate surroundings with their military might of five half-wit gobbos with wooden swords. They have a list in any case, so the fanbase should be happy they got something.

I wouldnt mind say the Wood Elves finally going after the Beastmen once and for all, allying with Bretonnia.

Oh yeah? Oh yeah?! Well, I'd like to see Morghur assemble his crew, finally going after the Wood Elves once for all, and allying with kicking Ariel in the teeth!

Nobody takes beastmen seriously damnit! :mad:

Drasanil
21-06-2006, 03:00
Nobody takes beastmen seriously damnit! :mad:

Well thats because Beastmen are to Chaos, as Snotlings are to Orcs:p

When you consider that beastmen are essentialy the Empire's boogy men(ie: only good for scaring children into behaving) and really only pose a threat to small isolated villages or an army stupid enough to march right into an ambush in the middle of the Drakwald, it's normal people don't take them seriously.

They're a nuissance to any one who is midly civilised but thats pretty much it. The main threat from chaos are cults and internal divisions, not a rowdy band of primitives wielding crude weapons who can barely figure out how to fight in proper formations.

Although to be fair I don't think any one is taking anything Chaos seriously after Archaon's Light Breeze failed horribly...;)

Makaber
21-06-2006, 03:44
Oh boy, you've riled me up now! :D

Beastmen are the boogy men, sure. However, if I was to make a wild guess, I'd think beastmen probably kill off more of the empire population than say, greenskins or chaos mortals. They are everywhere, and their formations aren't as large as the armies of the other outside foes, so they're harder to intercept with military troops. For a farmer in the Empire, I think the beastmen is the most real and terrifying threat.

As for the players, I think they downplay and underestimate beastmen way too often. I know most of your post was written just to push my buttons, but I love beastmen with a passion, and it actually does hurt inside a little bit every time Games Workshop portrays them as something a special character kills a lot of before he gets a statline and a magical hammer. Or, another player dismisses them as a fluff "nusiance".

I dream of the day a beastman will, in a serious piece of background material, chew up and spit out some semi-important elf character without the standard GW "won the combat but mortally wounded" copout. A good solid beastman victory.

And finally, it's funny that you should mention the Storm of Chaos campaign, because judging from what little beastmen activities are described, they actually did very well for themselves.

Alathir
21-06-2006, 09:13
Everybody knows the Wood Elves wont be being beaten by the Beastmen anytime soon.

Drasanil
21-06-2006, 15:49
Oh boy, you've riled me up now! :D

:)

Beastmen are the boogy men, sure. However, if I was to make a wild guess, I'd think beastmen probably kill off more of the empire population than say, greenskins or chaos mortals. They are everywhere, and their formations aren't as large as the armies of the other outside foes, so they're harder to intercept with military troops. For a farmer in the Empire, I think the beastmen is the most real and terrifying threat.

They're also inept, all things considered there are still thriving elven communities in the Empire's dark, oppressive, and Beastmen infested forests and keep in mind these elves don't have fancy pants Loren gribblies to protect them, in other words when fighting some one who isn't at a massive disadvantage in a forest they tend to loose.

Picking off a backwards empire peasant who's only marginaly better off than his bretonian equivilant his hardly an accomplishment.

As for the players, I think they downplay and underestimate beastmen way too often. I know most of your post was written just to push my buttons, but I love beastmen with a passion,

Well I'm an equal oppurtunity offender, I think chaos mortals aren't much of a threat either, if anything they're only strengthening the Empire's unity, Wood Elves are simply a nuissance to Bretonians in Quennelles, Goblins with a few notable exceptions(Grom and Skarsnik) are essentialy the warhammer world's clowns, Tombs Kings are pretty much irrelevant and are only a threat to people stupid enough to go a tomb robbing, ogres are a nuissance that can be bought off with a cow or two, unless they're fighting High Elves Druchii are essentialy a nuissance to the rest of the world(and I'm a dark elf player). In other words if you aren't a major/race country like Bretonia, Empire, Ulthuan, the Karaks and maybe Lizardmen, you're a nuissance.

and it actually does hurt inside a little bit every time Games Workshop portrays them as something a special character kills a lot of before he gets a statline and a magical hammer. Or, another player dismisses them as a fluff "nusiance".

Join the club *mutters about Tyrion and his everqueen saving super horse*:cries:

I dream of the day a beastman will, in a serious piece of background material, chew up and spit out some semi-important elf character without the standard GW "won the combat but mortally wounded" copout. A good solid beastman victory.

And I'm looking foward to the day when Malekith retakes the Pheonix Throne...

And finally, it's funny that you should mention the Storm of Chaos campaign, because judging from what little beastmen activities are described, they actually did very well for themselves.

All I remember of them in the SoC is Khazrak failling to to take Untergard, and of course the description of slaughtered beastmen warbands who were supposed, to ambush Karl's army, only to be ambushed by the empire's wood elves :)

Alathir
21-06-2006, 16:19
All I remember of them in the SoC is Khazrak failling to to take Untergard, and of course the description of slaughtered beastmen warbands who were supposed, to ambush Karl's army, only to be ambushed by the empire's wood elves :)

Booyah. One point for the Wood Elves.

And even when beastmen are fighting in a forest they seem to lose, their invasions of Athel Loren never go too well.

Leonathion
22-06-2006, 01:09
I think the next summer campaign will feature undead... They have been swept under the rugg for a long time, and all the talk about VC being realeased 2007 and the return of Nagash heralds something with the name death and zombie...

Bingo the Fun Monkey
22-06-2006, 07:39
I think they shouldn't really have campaigns but have something like albion, but not really seriously tied in with "Warhammer Fluff Blible" but is just kind of fun. "Army gets sucked into warp portal, (insert junk about the realm of chaos) appear in a big field facing such and such an army." Just something silly but competitive and offer rewards (new character/models/magic items/fluff) for the armies that win the most battles (although this rewards cheesy armies, we can be realistic and say that SAD's aren't overplayed outside of the tourny scene and most people have a pretty balanced collection).

CarlostheCraven
22-06-2006, 15:37
Personally, I am very tired of GW's manufactured (and Lame) "every-race must fight because the fate of the World/galaxy is at stake" campaigns. The reasoning for some of the races being at Medusa V at the same time is sooo lame. The orks happen to crash, the dark eldar happen to want to take slaves... *YAWN* Or you get some drivil ending like "Teclis waves his magic wand and all the daemons go away and then Volkmar is back to scare the legions of undead, and then Valten disappears after being saved by Grimgor while fighting Archeon..." Now, I do not know if Gav does drugs at times, but this seems like one cracked out ending to a campaign. (Most likely, upper management told him that he could not leave any faction out, but still...)

What I would love to see is more campaign packs along the lines of the old Perilous Quest, Circle of Blood, and Tears of Isha, etc. A short, story driven campaign (4-5 games) involving two or three factions with each scenario affecting the final battle would be very refreshing. Throw in a few unique characters, which could essentially add some life to the already existing generic character models, some modelling tips for special terrain pieces, and viola, you have some solid product.

The key would be a a low price point. I do not need a 64-80 page book full of high gloss pictures for this (like lustria), but rather a 20-30 page book of decent quality where every page is crammed with content. The low price point would off set the fact that it has limited appeal (just to the factions involved), although in general I have found that hardcore fantasy players (at least in my area) are more likely to collect multiple/very large armies, or start new armies for campaigns, than hardcore 40k players.

Cheers

Ironhand
22-06-2006, 15:42
I'd love to see GW publish some campaign packs. As you say, local groups don't need big all-inclusive campaigns.

Sambojin
23-06-2006, 11:58
The campaign I'd love to see is a rise of a great khan in the HG hordes. You could base it out east a bit (whereby not destroying the old world) yet have quite a few forces playing. hobgoblins, O+G, ogres, chaos dwarves, marauders, beastmen, dwarves and kislev and maybe TK. It'd be a sort of "lesser powers of the old world" kinda campaign, giving a larger feel to Warhammer (anything not exclusively centered on empire/chaos is a good thing). Any other forces could be used as an expeditionary force to stem the rising power of the khan, or as tribute bearers that got on the wrong side of him.

With just one list (hobgoblin/CD) and a 40-50 page booklet you could fill out a heap of background of WH, and give an interesting insight to the lesser known powers. It would also "flesh out" some of the unknowns in the world.

The premise would be simple. Following the retreat of the armies involved in the storm of chaos, a huge power vacuum appeared on the far side of the world's edge mountains. With every side having enormous losses, most retreated back to their homelands, or fought pointless battles against others fleeing their way. The fleeing kurgan of crom finally made it to the dark lands, where embittened by their defeat, they chose to take their anger out on the chaos dwarves (after all, it was their machines that failed to breach the walls of the empire). Skirmishing through the dark lands, raiding towns and cities along the way, they finally reach their homeland, having depleted both themselves and every army in the area along the way. With the lessening of chaos dwarf power in the area, more and more hobgoblin tribes are rebelling, with the most powerful of these under the leadership of da Hugest Khan. The campagin would follow the rise (and depending on the result, fall) of the khan, and portray the various influences that the lesser races have upon the warhammer world. It'd also be interesting if O+G and chaos end up saving the world from a bigger threat from the east then the storm of chaos ever was (and you'd never have to destroy the empire, no matter how the story went).

If you had the list as a CD/HG with certain choices determined by general, you could portray both major combatants with the one list (many armies follow this route now). It'd be a great little campaign, and if you gave CD/HG a list, and free magic gubbins (1-2 each to say O+G, ogres, beasts, marauder onlies, kislev and tk) you'd see alot more games with these underplayed armies from it and the resulting sales to GW.

Fred_Scuttle
23-06-2006, 14:53
Khan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've often thought a 'Choose you own adventure' style suppliment now and again might be nice. Somthing like this:

Book is set up as series of 10 battles between A and B - we'll use elves.

1st battle - Dark Elves raid outlying High Elf Hamlet ( High elves are tooo poncy to live in somthing called a village. )

If DE wins, battle 2 goes to larger High Elf city with more elves on both sides. If HE wins, battle goes to wilderness with the HE having the DE on the run.

Games keep getting played until you reach the 10th battle - some type of conflict shaped by the last 9........

Makaber
24-06-2006, 03:57
Actually...

A surprise attack at Untergard by Khazrak One-Eye threw the defenders into disarray for a while, but Archaon and his followers were unable to capitalize and break through to the Beastlordís monstrous warbands. Eventually, Khazrak was forced back into the forests, where he continued to ambush the defending armies as they withdrew to the City of the White Wolf.

After nearly an hour, the guns fell silent, which was not part of the Empireís plan. Having eluded Boris Todbringer, Khazrak One-Eye had doubled back to Middenheim and fallen upon the artillery from the forestís edge. Now, there was desperate fighting around the emplacements. The roar of volleys guns and the horrifying bellows of Shaggoths echoed out across the battlefield. Knowing that his Knights would be little use in the confined streets of Sokh, Karl Franz ordered them to turn around to support the artillery, while the infantry moved forward.

Viskrit
24-06-2006, 10:33
I think GW shouldn't focus on big campaigns where everyone can participate. Make smaller ones, like Lustria, in which a couple of races fight.

The next campaign should be about Nagash. Make a story for the involved races, and if other players want to join in, let them come up with the reason for their army to fight.

Ironhand
24-06-2006, 12:51
The problem with that Viskrit, is that the world-wide campaigns are marketing ploys for GW. They want everyone (at least all the more popular races) to be involved, and they release a couple of new models for each race.

It's not worth their time and effort (from their point of view) to do a more limited campaign. IF the next campaign is about Nagash, trust me - every major race will be involved.

Viskrit
24-06-2006, 17:48
Yes, I know. And it's sad that it will have to be like that.

That's why home made campaigns are so much more fun.