PDA

View Full Version : Arkham or eldritch horror?

ashc
26-02-2014, 20:26
Hey all,looking at spending some birthday cash on one of these, which do you recommend?

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

driller
27-02-2014, 07:05
I *hate* Arkham Horror. It's more of an excersise in complex bookeeping than a board game - and I'm a horror fanatic, so I'm "supposed" to love it. A game can last 6 hours, there are a million rules to remember, with rules within rules. At the end it's daunting, exhausting and just not fun. I've played it ca. 5 or 6 times because of friends, and it always ended with everybody depressed :D

And I too thinking of getting Eldritch, because it looks like that they took the bookeeping out of the game. So even tho I don't own Eldritch, I recommend Eldritch! ;)

Mephisto Dragonbane
03-03-2014, 04:45
Arkham Horror is a great game if you have a good group who are willing to play for a few hours. Eldritch Horror is another great game BUT whilst based on the same kind of principal they are totally different games and scratch different itches.

Might I suggest watching a board game review on each game? it'll be worth your time.

MasterDecoy
05-03-2014, 04:09
Arkham horror is a great game, but as driller said it had a metric ton of book keeping especially once you start to add on a few expansions.

If you don't mind being a gm and running the game for your friends it's epic. otherwise I would recommend Eldarich horror.

It had a lot of similar mechanics but is far more story driven.

You can read my review of Arkham horror in my review thread further down the page.

Sent from my GT-I9507 using Tapatalk

ashc
05-03-2014, 06:57
Thank you for the opinions, you have confirmed what i thought. I played Arkham some years ago and couldn't remember much of it, whilst I only played Eldritch recently and had quite a blast.

Steam_Giant
05-03-2014, 09:07
Don't forget Elder Sign (http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite.asp?eidm=168&enmi=Elder%20Sign) which is fast and fun to play in a Mythos themed world. It can be a little easy if your group gets very good, I believe the expansion might make it a bit harder but I don't have it so I don't know.

MasterDecoy
05-03-2014, 11:05
Don't forget Elder Sign (http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite.asp?eidm=168&enmi=Elder%20Sign) which is fast and fun to play in a Mythos themed world. It can be a little easy if your group gets very good, I believe the expansion might make it a bit harder but I don't have it so I don't know.

I have the expansion, it only makes the game harder if you use one of the Ancient ones that comes in the box, or only use the epic mythos cards, otherwise its really just more of the same with some errata's cards included (like mandy thopson)

driller
10-03-2014, 10:33
Bought Eldritch Horror a week ago, played it three times so far.

ITS A BLAST. Much less convulted than Arkham, it has great atmosphere, it plays fairly quickly once you have memorized the rules... I don't know what else to say. I haven't enjoyed a board game like this in a long time! :)

Elandar
12-03-2014, 19:51
I've only played to Arkham Horror but, even though I always enjoy it, it takes 4h or more to play a game. I've read that Eldritch horror takes less time and it's like a natural evolution of Arkham. I think you should probably get Eldritch Horror or at least try them both.