PDA

View Full Version : amusing stand-ins for superheavies?

carldooley
12-03-2014, 16:02
I am well aware that you need the official models for official games, but for casual games - has anyone seen any particularly funny proxies of walkers or tanks? personally, I just got a Wreck It Ralph toy to stand in (for a warhound), what do other people use or have seen?

Theocracity
12-03-2014, 16:41
I am well aware that you need the official models for official games, but for casual games - has anyone seen any particularly funny proxies of walkers or tanks? personally, I just got a Wreck It Ralph toy to stand in (for a warhound), what do other people use or have seen?

An independent game store opened near where I used to live. They had a bunch of converted (but sparsely painted) 40K models on display in their window - including a blue plastic baby toy that was barely converted enough to represent a Stompa.

I wasn't entirely surprised when they closed down within the year. :|

Edit:

Speaking for myself, my group played a custom scenario where an Ork-looted supercontainer ship was barreling into a harbor, Speed 2 style. It had superheavy stats, and its prow was represented on the spot by an empty iMac box.

carldooley
12-03-2014, 16:45
someone that I used to play regularly used to use a MR. Potato Head as a Stompa.

Theocracity
12-03-2014, 16:46
someone that I used to play regularly used to use a MR. Potato Head as a Stompa.

Heh, appropriate. I have no problem with odd proxies...but maybe you shouldn't display half finished ones in your store window when you're trying to build a customer base....

Edit: Oh, I just remembered: while it wasn't a superheavy, in the early days before we had a playable collection my friend used to use pieces of paper in the silhouette of a Rhino with the words 'I'm a Rhino, VROOM VROOM' written on them :D.

Reinholt
12-03-2014, 16:50
Heh, appropriate. I have no problem with odd proxies...but maybe you shouldn't display half finished ones in your store window when you're trying to build a customer base....

I may know someone who used a stuffed squirrel (as in, literally, a preserved squirrel) as a Knight in his first proxy game since he doesn't have the model yet.

Sir Didymus
12-03-2014, 18:41
My gaming time is too limited for grey hordes, Coke cans, potatoheads and other gamey stuff :p

Take some time to make your army look good, and play smaller battles if you 'need' to play. Its much more rewarding this way :)

Harwammer
12-03-2014, 18:47
My friend used my 40k Servo Skull tape measure to represent the Vampire Counts Terrorgheist he forgot to bring with him.

Camman1984
12-03-2014, 19:17
A friend of mine is still building his 5 knights and currenly uses all manner of chaos and necron models as proxies.

Chem-Dog
12-03-2014, 19:37
I got a buddy who seems to perpetually forget his Daemonprince, to date it's been represented by a Space Marine statue, A pint glass, a can of drink, a beer mat and virtually every other MC that someone could lend for the game.

Howevr for the most part, we're "i wanna use my model" bunch rather than a "I wanna use these rules" bunch, so not a huge amount of proxying happens "This lascannon is actually a missile launcher" is the most that seems to happen, not that anyone really minds.

DoctorTom
12-03-2014, 22:04
Paper airplanes to represent DE Raiders (back before the DE relaunch with 5th edition).

I'm tempted to go look to see what action figures I might get to represent Imperial Knights. Maybe Big Lots will have some Avengers or Iron Man figures cheap that will work...

MasterDecoy
12-03-2014, 23:45
Paper airplanes to represent DE Raiders (back before the DE relaunch with 5th edition).

I'm tempted to go look to see what action figures I might get to represent Imperial Knights. Maybe Big Lots will have some Avengers or Iron Man figures cheap that will work...

Voltron or a power Rangers megazoid or go home......

Sent from my GT-I9507 using Tapatalk

USASOCRanger
12-03-2014, 23:50
I used to use CDs to represent drop pods before there were ever any drop pod models and I wrote "Droppod: Knock knock, b*tch!" on all of them so there would be no confusion.

Fangschrecken
13-03-2014, 00:05

Somebody converted Mr. Potatohead into a stompa. http://www.irondogstudios.com/images/tater/tater-concept12a-bg.jpg

Proof that the Orks can loot anything. I figure it works like a giant killy potato battery.

Sir Didymus
13-03-2014, 06:03
Somebody converted Mr. Potatohead into a stompa. http://www.irondogstudios.com/images/tater/tater-concept12a-bg.jpg

Proof that the Orks can loot anything. I figure it works like a giant killy potato battery.

Thats just awesome! :D

Just goes to show, that a slim wallet is no excuse for a proxy :)

@Chem-dog I'm totally on the level regarding lascannons/missile launchers (they're just using experimental ammunition), and as long as its pretty consistent, noone cares. WYSIWYG is a concept best left for the a****y r******d :p

wyvirn
13-03-2014, 06:42
This is me as an Imperator Titan. Like actually standing on the board, pointing my fingers at models and saying 'favvoooosh!'

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/13/6etyry3y.jpg

Navar
13-03-2014, 16:17
My gaming time is too limited for grey hordes, Coke cans, potatoheads and other gamey stuff :p

Take some time to make your army look good, and play smaller battles if you 'need' to play. Its much more rewarding this way :)

Pretty much this. Battles are better with better looking models.

Theocracity
13-03-2014, 16:27
Pretty much this. Battles are better with better looking models.

While I generally agree, I subscribe to the idea that Better shouldn't be the enemy of Good. The more painted models the better, but throwing in a quick proxy for a one-off game isn't the end of the world.

Son of Morkai
13-03-2014, 17:40
Say hello to Prius Moriatur and his two closest friends - Grimlock and Ultra Magnus. Not sure if they truly count as amusing, but I did have a laugh when I realized that the knight is the most expensive thing on that table.

Kingly
13-03-2014, 17:46
My mate used a coke can as a Deamon Prince in our game last week,

Not thought of using stuff for Super Heavies yet as it's blasphemy! :)

htsmithium
13-03-2014, 17:58
my friend regularly uses a star wars AT-ST as a warhound. And I once saw someone bring a 8-in ironman covered in Eldar bits as a titan once.

Socaddict
13-03-2014, 19:07
Say hello to Prius Moriatur and his two closest friends - Grimlock and Ultra Magnus. Not sure if they truly count as amusing, but I did have a laugh when I realized that the knight is the most expensive thing on that table.

Now you're making me want to field MP08, 09 and 10 as knights...

A.T.
13-03-2014, 19:12
Lord of Battles...

Belly
14-03-2014, 04:24
A friend used a shoebox with a toilet roll stuck to the front as a Shadowsword when escalation dropped.

Mini77
14-03-2014, 05:57
I saw someone use a Mr Potatohead in place of an Ork Stompa.

Pendragon
14-03-2014, 08:28
Nothing in 40K, although I did pull a fast one in Fantasy...

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a259/Penpenpen/Chaos/mightydragon.jpg (http://s13.photobucket.com/user/Penpenpen/media/Chaos/mightydragon.jpg.html)

jtrowell
14-03-2014, 13:09
About the potato head converted into a stompa, here is the full article : http://www.irondogstudios.com/images/tater/mek_tater.html

azza88
14-03-2014, 20:24

Its the best thing on that table by far

TheBearminator
15-03-2014, 03:22
About the potato head converted into a stompa, here is the full article : http://www.irondogstudios.com/images/tater/mek_tater.html

I first saw that article a week or two ago. I'm really tempted to replicate it. If I could find a Mr. potato head really cheap somewhere. Otherwise it'll be a machinarium robot. There're just so many great ork conversions on the Internet. The round toy planes are super awesome as well.

Fluxeor
15-03-2014, 19:37
This chap stood in as an Imperator once... ONCE .. and he never moved, because god damn he weighs a tonne.
https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1.0-9/2676_72427834383_5258085_n.jpg