PDA

View Full Version : Chaos Undead

Vadth
16-03-2014, 18:04
I had this idea as the back story for one of my characters in a campaign. A Sorcerer Lord wanders the world trying to perfect her mastery over death magic. In the process she learned a little from Tomb Kings and/or Vampire Counts. Details did not matter and I didn't think I could actual use this in a game. But then GW came out with Storms of Magic (and Triumph and Treachery). I am now in a Blood in the Badlands campaign with the same character and I am working on building a small undead army to use for the Storm of Magic battles. For now I'm working towards the Tomb Kings rules only because I want archers. Overall, archers aside I want an army that could be use for either undead types(I got a reaper vampire to use as a character).

Now here is my issue. I'm trying to figure out how to do Tomb Guards. I want to use my left over Chaos Warriors bits but my experience with conversation and kitbashing is limited. I want them to be done cheap but not look like utter trash. I have two idea on how to do this. Make "stick figures" with my sprues and glue the bits to them, or do something similar with see through plastic to go with a more ghostly look. How do you think either of these ideas will look? Anyone have a better idea on this? While I have more than enough heads, weapons and shield to play around with these ideas, my supply of warrior backs are far more limited and I don't want to waste the few that I have. Any comments will be appreciated. Thanks.

Blademeister
16-03-2014, 18:42
You could probably buy some third party skeleton warriors if you aren't planning on playing at a gw. I think avatars of war make some quality models, as far as i know they're pretty cheap. Not sure if they're in your price range, hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sexiest_hero
16-03-2014, 23:41
get you a bag o, skeletons for cheap and 100 guys.They are ugly as sin and mono pose, but so were GW's old sculps 25 years ago.

Lorm
17-03-2014, 11:36
get you a bag o, skeletons for cheap and 100 guys.They are ugly as sin and mono pose, but so were GW's old sculps 25 years ago.
VC skeleton are pretty cool though (more recent sculpts).

Spider-pope
17-03-2014, 12:55
I had this idea as the back story for one of my characters in a campaign. A Sorcerer Lord wanders the world trying to perfect her mastery over death magic. In the process she learned a little from Tomb Kings and/or Vampire Counts. Details did not matter and I didn't think I could actual use this in a game. But then GW came out with Storms of Magic (and Triumph and Treachery). I am now in a Blood in the Badlands campaign with the same character and I am working on building a small undead army to use for the Storm of Magic battles. For now I'm working towards the Tomb Kings rules only because I want archers. Overall, archers aside I want an army that could be use for either undead types(I got a reaper vampire to use as a character).

Now here is my issue. I'm trying to figure out how to do Tomb Guards. I want to use my left over Chaos Warriors bits but my experience with conversation and kitbashing is limited. I want them to be done cheap but not look like utter trash. I have two idea on how to do this. Make "stick figures" with my sprues and glue the bits to them, or do something similar with see through plastic to go with a more ghostly look. How do you think either of these ideas will look? Anyone have a better idea on this? While I have more than enough heads, weapons and shield to play around with these ideas, my supply of warrior backs are far more limited and I don't want to waste the few that I have. Any comments will be appreciated. Thanks.

Rather than using sprues, perhaps use thin wire to create a armature to hang the bits and pieces of Chaos warrior gear on? It would be easier to "hide" the wire through painting than it would be to hide chunks of sprue. Clear plastic in my experience is too brittle and difficult to shape for it to be worth the effort.

Vadth
20-03-2014, 07:21
Rather than using sprues, perhaps use thin wire to create a armature to hang the bits and pieces of Chaos warrior gear on? It would be easier to "hide" the wire through painting than it would be to hide chunks of sprue. Clear plastic in my experience is too brittle and difficult to shape for it to be worth the effort.

Thanks. This was the type of information I was looking for. I will take your advice on the clear plastic and will try the thin wire idea.